M*A*S*H

Good-Bye Radar (Part 2)

Aired Unknown Oct 15, 1979 on CBS

• In the second part of this two part episode, the doctors and nurses of the 4077th MASH say their goodbyes to Corporal Walter 'Radar' O'Reilly. Klinger continues his baptism by fire as the replacement Company Clerk.

Never in all the television I've watched has one show made me so emotional as M*A*S*H, and this episode was no exception. The subtle changes in Radar's personality only added to the notion that he had finally 'grown up', and was ready to leave the 4077. You get a feel for exactly how much Radar was needed and loved in this episode, by all the main cast. A more heartfelt episode is hard to find, although M*A*S*H had a number of them in its eleven year run. The most memorable scenes in this episode in my opinion are these, Radar and Hawkeye's argument on why Radar should go home, Col. Potter's tearful goodbye to Radar as wounded fill the compound, Hawkeye's bloody salute, and the final scene, where Radar's teddy bear was left on Hawkeye's cot, a final reminder that Radar grew up, and was gone forever.