M*A*S*H

M*A*S*H - The Pilot

Aired Unknown Sep 17, 1972 on CBS

• A great way to start of the series! If it had been one of the more dramatic or sad episodes the series probably wouldn't have been such a hit!

7.8
    One of the funnier episodes! Interestingly there is no blood in surgery unlike later episodes. Afraid it might make people squeamish I guess... To pay for their Korean friend to go to college in America, Hawkeye and Trapper, surgeons at the M*A*S*H (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) 4077th. Hold a raffle for 2 weekend passes to Tokyo with a nurse. Henry says no but leaves for a meeting and Frank Burns is the only person left to stop them. So in typical M*A*S*H fashion Hawkeye and Trapper drug him and wrap him in bandages. Then while they are having their party Major "Hotlips" Houlihan goes to give a patient his shot. Upon pulling down his pants and seeing his behind she says "FRANK!!!" This part is outrageously funny and sure to get laughs from almost anybody who sees it. So of course it all comes together. The Priest of the outfit wins the raffle just as Henry and a General come back. And Margaret leads Frank wrapped in bandages. Of course Hawkeye and Trapper are going to be court-marshalled. However Radar the company clerk hears the choppers coming. More choppers means more wounded. And many people would die if two of the best surgeons couldn't operate. So it all turns out well. In my opinion it's one of the better pilots I've seen for shows. Just as interesting as some in the 5th or 9th season. The show is good from the start!