M*A*S*H

M*A*S*H - The Pilot

Aired Unknown Sep 17, 1972 on CBS

• The first episode of this long running, beloved series sees Hawkeye raffle off the gorgeous nurse Dish to raise college tuition money for his house-boy Ho-Jon.

The year is 1972 and CBS gambles that the popularity of the MASH movie will transfer to TV. For most of us in the audience, that means we get more of the hideously anachronistic haircuts and left wing, anti-war, liberal posturing that made the movie so popular. But nevermind. The series would go on to become such a landmark in television history that these minor concerns just wouldn't seem all that important in years to come.
    Wisely, CBS produces a pilot that is very close in both attitude and spirit to the movie, for all those that might have missed it. As such, were treated to the irreverence and the subversiveness that made the movie so popular without any of the heavy handed drama that would eventually make the series so popular.
    In my opinion, this is just fine. For me, a comedy means jokes, hopefully followed by me laughing at them. And this pilot does just that. We get more of the wackiness of the movie, which, at times, seems a little like "Meatballs" set in the Korean War. I've always been partial to the first three seasons of MASH for this reason. I truly enjoyed some of the drama that crept into the show in later years, and I certainly think this had a lot to do with the show's longevity. But, at the ene of the day, I watch MASH for laughs, and I feel the pilot delivers nicely here, while at the same time introducing/reintrodicing the audience to the MASH phenomenon started by the movie.