M*A*S*H

Requiem for a Lightweight

Aired Unknown Oct 01, 1972 on CBS

• Hawkeye and Trapper are smitten with the same nurse, but when Hot Lips has her transferred, Henry offers to try to get her back if one of them will fight Gen. Barkers man in a camp boxing match.

This is a very sitcommy episode, like many of the earliest episodes of this series, with a pretty standard boxing plot and Frank and HotLips the villians, who get their just desserts in the end. This episode doesnt have its moments, with Radar having Blake sign a bunch of blank papers and its nice to see Trapper get to be the hero in the end.
    This marks the first appearance of Marcia Strassman as Nurse Maggie Cutler and theres a nice scene at the end when Cutler seems geniunely touched that Trapper fought for her. Strassman would do some nice work in her brief time with the show, "Yankee Doodle Doctor" probaly being her best work. Im not sure why she was dropped though perhaps the producers werent comfortable with 2 guys who were supposed to be friends, fighting for the same woman or simply they didnt have room for another female with Margaret around. Strassman would go on to 4 seasons as the long suffering wife of Gabe Kaplan on "Welcome Back, Kotter", a role, judging by her work on "MASH", which seems to have pretty much wasted her talent. She would resurface in the 80s in the suprise hit movie, "Honey, I shrunk the Kids!". Even more significant was this episode marked the first appearance of William Christopher as Father Mulcahy. Mulcahy was played in the pilot by George Morgan. It seems to me in the movie and the pilot, Mulcahy was referred to as "Dago Red", but even though Christophers Mulcahy is called "Dago"in a couple of early episodes, that name goes away. Although early on, Mulcahy is shown to be somewhat flustered and a bit bumbling, Christopher would help redefine the role into a gentle, yet easy going type who harbors ambitions of his own. A running them of the show would be Mulcahys fascination with comparing his calling to that of the surgeons. What I like about Christopher is the way he shows Mulcahys humanity without making it an overly pious stereotype. In this episode, it establishes that Mulcahy has a boxing background, a subject it would refer to several more times throughout the series run. All in all, though it has it moments, this is a minor and one that shows the series still struggling to find its own identity. It is interesting to note that this episode was actually shown before the episode where Henry is promoted and G.Woods General Hammond makes his final appearance, whereas this episode features Sorrel Brooke, General Barker. This episode was probaly shot AFTER "Chief Surgeon Who?", which seemed intended to introduce the new General. In a way though, this fits better BEFORE that one, because "Chief Surgeon Who?" seems to represent a turning point in that it began to find its own style. But I will discuss that in-depth in my review of that episode.
  • A well written episode for Trapper's character. To bad there were only a few episodes written for Trapper. :(

All in all I really enjoy this episode. I can't believe the lengths that Hawkeye and Trapper would go to for a nurse...well more Trapper than Hawkeye...Trapper was the one who fought the fight not Hawkeye. I thought the fight scene was brillant,epsecially using ether allowing Trapper to win the fight. I loved how Frank and Margaret lost in the end and were crushed by the heavy boxer. The only sad thing is that Trapper didn't get Nurse Cutler. In later episodes she and Hawkeye date. Oh, well...you win some you lose some. Better luck next time Trapper!:)