M*A*S*H

CBS (ended 1983)

fireballil

User Score: 2047

M*A*S*H Fan Reviews (136)

• I know a lot of people like this, but I don't like it.

0.3
    I know a lot of people like this, but I don't like it. It is not even funny. I can't believe that my little cousin (17) has been watching this and buying the dvds. This is one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I don't know how it got past one season.
  • Auwful!

This show is not funny nor interesting to me. It had an 11 year run. Because of this run I give it some credit.
    There is only so much laughter you can put in a show. Obviously this show had none, or else I didn't notice it.
    you can paraphrase this show in two words....not funny.
  • I know, some people think this is the greatest show of all time, highest rated finale in history, etc.

6.7
    but, let's look at MASH objectively. It was a comedy about the Korean War, in a triage unit. Now, don't get me wrong, there were some funny moments-anything involving Klinger in drag, Radar messing up a transmission or another and the Kernel reacting to that. Other than that-I saw not much humor in the show. Hot Lips was mildly interesting, Alan Alda and his sidekick were OK, but whenever they had to interract with the natives, it seemed a little fake. The show was just ok, not the smash sensation that people will jot in down in history as. Funny is funny, but dull can't transcend time-and in this case, the humor has been impeded by the dust on this old 'classic'; dust which can't be blown off.

**the greatest legacy that MASH created was the board game - Mansion-Apartment-Shack-House
  • Not bad...

6.9
    I've found many of the comments about this series to be quite amusing, particularly the ones bashing it for "shoving" a liberal agenda down viewers throats. Given it's success for 11 years, I don't think the audience seemed to agree with that assessment. Quite simply, the show was one of the best written, best acted, and most entertaining shows in television history. Yes, it wore out its welcome in the end; but, it is a masterpiece that later shows rarely measured up to.

I have no great preference for one season's cast over another. Each character was unique and had something to contribute. When we lost the bumbling, but loveable Henry Blake, we got the stern but loving Sherman Potter. Both were the C.O., but each was a different person, a smart move by the creators. The same is true for Frank Burns and Charles Emerson Winchester III. Burns was a neurotic, vindictive, childish fool; while Winchester was an arrogant blowhard, but one who could hold his own with Hawkeye. Burns was incompetent, while Winchester was an outstanding surgeon; just ask him. Characters were missed when they left; but, they were not replaced with doppelgangers. That is part of the reason this show lasted so long.

The show did take on a more serious tone in the later seasons, but not entirely. There are plenty of laughs right up to the end. Those serious shows were often some of the most memorable, and they kept the series from becoming stale. With that said, they did tend to resort to Hawkeye's mental problems a bit too much, especially in the farewell. You can argue that a character like Hawkeye, with his passion for preserving life, was ripe for mental breakdowns; but, in reality, he probably would have been shipped home by the second breakdown.

The show is not perfect (it lasted 8 years longer than the actual war) but it comes far closer than most. It seems to be fashionable to bash popular shows and movies after their days is over. Part of this is a new generation trying to establish their own identity and dominance. Well, I didn't like my parent's movies, shows and music when I was younger; until I actually watched them and listened to them. Some of it turned out to be quite good, some not. Real quality stands the test of time. MASH will be around far longer than most of what I see on tv today.
  • Fantastic show except for all the goofs and flubs

M*A*S*H was a wonderfully funny movie and is one of the few shows to transition itself to TV and be quite successful. The first couple of years, M*A*S*H was at the top of it's game. There were more then just the occasional flubs in the plot line including such dandys as Col. Blakes wife's name changing from Mildred to Louise, The fact that the Korean Conflict was Hawkeye's second war but yet he was a draftee doctor for the Korean conflict. The fact that Col. Blake in 1952 but yet Col. Potter was there to celebrate New Year 1951. Of course my all time favorite, Hawkeye in one epsidoe receiving a sweater from his sister and asking his Dad to say "Hi to Mom and Sister" but later in the series stating he was an only child and his mother died while he was a child.
  • This show was great and entertaining I can still watch episodes that I have seen 10 times, and still enjoy them.

This show is beyond a classic. People always say if you saw the movie 1st you like that better, and if you saw the TV show 1st you usually like that better. I liked the TV show. I liked Trapper a little more than BJ, because that was my type of humor but they were both great characters. I liked pierce but there were times you got sick of him whining and acting like a big baby, on a soap box, and it makes you turn the channel. The one's Alan Alda directed with the liberal agenda, but some of his were good. I did like the one with the clock, and the guy had 24 hours to see if he was alright, and the guy who they just showed everything through his eyes. I might be a little biased since I'm from the Toledo area, but I liked Klinger, that was a great character, even after he stopped dressing in drag. Jamie Farr has done alot for this city too.
  • "i think M.A.S.H was a-okay"

If M.A.S.H was'nt on basic Cable, life would have sucked for me. My dad used to watch it when ever it was on. I rember seeing all through my life on T.V. it was'nt bad to watch when i was bord of other basic cable channels i say this is a 10 for classic!.
  • A show about a station of nurses in the middle of the war, in Korea. There are two best friends, the pushy woman nurse, the timid man nurse, one male who wants to leave the army and will try ANYTHING to get out of the army legally, and others.

This is surely a classic. It can get kind of boring, but it is good to fall asleep to, since it is usually on late at night. It is still a very good show. Most people can relate to, or at least enjoy this show. It is quite funnny, but not that funny; mediocre.
  • A one of a kind comedy-drama that will leave you in stitches and think at the same time.

M*A*S*H the series began in 1972, it follows the life of Dr. Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce who was drafted into the Korean War. He's a civilian at heart and makes it known by word and deed, he ignores military discipline and acts crazy to stay sane in a place he doesn't want to be.
    Other characters are Lt. Colonel Henry Blake who is about as un-G. I as you can get, and often sides with Hawkeye. "Trapper" John McIntyre is Hawkeye's sidekick. They often pull pranks on their nemesis Major Frank Burns, who is a semi-competent surgeon, and way too G. I. His sidekick is Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan, whom Burns is having an affair with that only he and Hot lips think is secret.
    Other characters are Corporal Klinger, who dresses in women's clothes to try and get out of the army on a section 8, and Father Mulcahy.
    The show does take a more serious tone in its later years (it lasted 11 seasons), it sometimes interferes with the humor and does dip a little in quality (which is why I did not give it a 10), but it does still have many funny moments throughout the series.
    The show also has multiple characters who exit the show and are replaced with other very different characters. These changes are handled very well, and don't try to mimic the departing character.
    For those who have never seen the show (I had not seen it until 2 years ago) I highly recommend that you see it from the beginning.
  • A show that had many themes and did all of them very well!

It has been said by more than a few television critics that the 70's were the golden era for comedies. If this is true, MASH was a big part of that comedic renaissance. Mixing comedy with touches of drama, the show had a cast of virtual unknowns when it debuted in the early 70's. Although it was slow to build an audience, people grew attached to the wide range characters in the show. From the zany antics of Hawkeye Pierce, portrayed by actor Alan Alda, to the prudishness of Frank Burns, played by the late Larry Linville, this was a show that succeeded in showing the daily workings of a MASH unit during the Korean conflict of the 1950's. For myself, many of the episodes of the first three seasons are some of the funniest shows ever broadcast on TV. ' Tuttle ', ' Five O'Clock Charlie ', ' Sometimes You Hear the Bullet ' and ' Abyssinia Henry ' are the episodes that I never tire of watching again and again.

However, this series did start to detoriate somewhat as the years passed and the writers changed. For myself, the comedic spark that was a big part of MASH seemed to fade away almost completely with each successive year. There was the odd episode that seemed to resonate with a blend of comedy or drama but the majority were largely dramatic, even preachy, as an anti war message seemed to be a repeating theme in the last few seasons.

Despite this, I still think MASH was one show that is truly an icon of the television age. With tremendous acting, phenomenal writing and a depth that is rarely, if ever, seen on TV shows these days, it deserves the reputation of being one of the best shows ever!
  • From slapstick to dramedy to pat formula, much of it brilliant...

A groundbreaking show that evolved through it's many years, from the slapsticky humor at the beginning borrowing generously from the motion picture, to the perfect balance of humor and pathos in the BJ/Potter/Burns years, to the drawn out last years as a glorified "buddy" show where there are really no antagonists (even Charles went right along with almost every wacky caper they were engaged in near the end), which robbed the series of its energy and bite. Also, the increased liberalism through the years - while it was a noble calling, and it helped establish the anti-war sentiment that is now ingrained in a part of our culture - did get heavy-handed, even to a pseudo tree-hugger like me. All that said, the best of this series ranks with the best that the medium has and will ever offer, and a little surprisingly, has aged very gracefully.
  • More people need to appreciate a show this great!

I recently watched the MASH DVD's from seasons 1 to 6 and I was blown away by the raw emotion and humour. Hawkeye is easily my favourite character as well as Trapper who I was sad to see go. However BJ is a great addition to the show as well. MASH is underappreciated by many people and is one of the few shows that will last forever in the hearts and minds of everyone.
  • Perhaps the greatest sitcom ever

The cast was top-notch. Alan Alda as Hawkeye was my favourite. When Wayne Rogers was replaced by Mike Farrell the series dropped some points but still it was good. The dialogue lines are very different from that of other series. The show never lost it's edge in my eyes, I mean sure, like every show they had their not so great episodes, but they always recovered. They are fresh, funny and very intelligent. One note is the 11 year run of "MASH" as it's evidence of its success. "MASH" was pretentiously contrived as the thinking man's satire upon war but it is not just that. "MASH" is something more. You'll have just to see it.
  • suicide is painless...

So although this show was before my time thanks to syndication I have found what a great show it is and became totally addicted. I can quote so many of the episodes and can tell you the plot by just watching the first 30 seconds. The reason that I love this show…it really is timeless. The anti-war themes are very relevant in today’s society. The humor and the characters are just wonderful. You feel like you know these people, like they are people that you could sit down and have a drink with. Throughout the seasons you enjoy following them. They make you laugh, they make you cry. There is not a lot of current shows that have the same feeling as M*A*S*H.
  • This was one of the best shows on tv ever.

M*A*S*H is an example of a show that has the perfect blend of comedy and drama. The show went through many cast members in its run, but they always seemed to bring something new with them. I guess this is what kept the show fresh for eleven years. It would make you laugh and cry in almost every episode. There was someone in the 4077th that someone could relate to. It was always surprising. Whenever they killed Commander Henry Blake as he was leaving it shocked TV viewers everywhere. It was just another look into the harshness of war. It was a great show and fans still love it. Its re-runs are shown just about every night so more people can come to love this great show.
  • A comedy about a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean Conflict.

War doesn't seem like a good place for a comedy setting. However, it works here and has worked before and after. Drama is mixed in as needed to try and keep everyone aware of what was really going on.

The show had a lot of great actors. However, in my opinion, the show took a big hit when
    McLean Stevenson (Lt. Colonel Henry Braymore Blake) left for his own series. Harry Morgan filled his spot as Colonel Sherman T. Potter. He was good ... but it just wasn't the same. That same season Wayne Rogers (Captain John Francis Xavier "Trapper" McIntyre) left the show as well. Mike Farrell took his spot as was nowhere near as good. A couple of season later Larry Linville left the show and thing really started to go downhill. Alan Alda was the only link in the chain that kept the show in tact for eleven seasons.
  • A family favorite!

This is a TV show that my whole family would gather around the TV to watch. Yep. That was back when we only had the one tv in the family room. My Dad would tell us all the things that were incorrect with the 'war' shots as he was a veteren of the war and my Mom would make popcorn for us.
    This show was really great because as I grew up I also grew to understand the humor in different ways.
    To understand the dimensions of the stories that were being told and the humor that was being laid out. I think it is amazing that a show that has this many levels could last as long as it did and was so successful.
    There was some character growth between Hawkeye and Trapper John and then BJ and we as a nation of fans saw it. It was wonderful. We were there.
    This was a Classic!
  • M.A.S.H. did nothing less than change the landscape of television comedy, bringing pointed social commentary and high satire to a medium that had previously been the domain of variety shows and slapsticky situation comedies.

It's probably hard to believe now, since it has been imitated so much, that M.A.S.H. was a maverick program when it first aired. Its daringly frank look at the bloody reality of a battlefield hospital was cutting edge, and the Korean War setting was audacious, given the unavoidable parallels with the Vietnam War, still smoldering at the time. M.A.S.H. also pioneered the jarring approach of juxtaposing highly dramatic story lines with zany comic antics, long before the term "dramedy" was coined. The characters were finely drawn, and instantly classic. And the acerbic, urbane style of humor it specialized in is the industry gold standard today.
  • M*A*S*H was set in South Korea, near Seoul, during the Korean War. The series focused on the group of doctors and nurses whose job was to heal the wounded who arrived at this "Mobile Army Surgical Hospital" by helicopter, ambulance or bus.

M*A*S*H was a true ensemble series, and became one of the most celebrated television series in the history of the medium. In many ways, the series set the standard for some of the best programming to appear later. The show used multiple plot lines in half-hour episodes, usually with at least one story in the comedic vein and another dramatic. The most striking technical aspect of the series is found in its aggressively cinematic visual style. M*A*S*H was one of the most innovative sitcoms of the 1970s and 1980s. Its stylistic flair and narrative mix drew critical acclaim, while the solid writing and vitally drawn characters helped the series maintain high ratings. The true popularity of M*A*S*H can still be seen, for the series is one of the most widely syndicated series throughout the world. Despite the historical setting, the characters and issues in this series remain fresh, funny and compelling in ways that continue to stand as excellent television.
  • Inspired by the film of the same name, M*A*S*H (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) was an American television series about a team of medical professionals and support staff stationed at MASH 4077 in Korea during the Korean War.

Inspired by the film of the same name, M*A*S*H (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) was an American television series about a team of medical professionals and support staff stationed at MASH 4077 in Korea during the Korean War. The series originally aired on CBS from September 17, 1972 to February 28, 1983, but can still be seen in syndication. The series spanned 251 episodes and lasted longer than the war which served as its setting.

Behind the scenes, those most involved with the show were Larry Gelbart, Gene Reynolds, and Burt Metcalfe.

Much like the movie, it combined elements of comedy with a darker antiwar message. Many of the stories in the early seasons were based on real-life tales told by hundreds of real-life M*A*S*H surgeons, interviewed by the production team. Some said the series seemed to be more about the Vietnam War, given the attitudes of the characters, than the Korean War. The show's producers have said that the movie was really about war in general.

Originally intended as an ensemble show, M*A*S*H became increasingly centered around Alan Alda's character, Hawkeye Pierce. Alda wrote and directed some of the most emotional and award-winning episodes.

The show's tone changed over the years. Initially, it placed most of its emphasis on the "zany" elements, but later focused on more serious topics and character development; however, both the serious and the comedic sides were present throughout. Eventually much of the audience felt that the story lines became stale and the comedy dulled, though the show remained in the top of the ratings. Alda and his fellow actors voted to end the series with the tenth season, but CBS and 20th Century Fox offered the actors a shortened eleventh season, permitting an opportunity for the show to have a grand finale.

The series had three spin-offs, the short-lived AfterMASH, which featured several of the show's characters reunited in a midwestern hospital after the war, a more successful Trapper John, M.D., and a television movie W*A*L*T*E*R, in which Walter "Radar" O'Reilly joins the police force.
  • MASH has been a classic on TV after having been a filf since day one. But I wonder as others do about the opening credits:why is there that edit of an ambulance pulling in with scratched,discoloured stock?

I have always loved M*A*SH the film and the tv series. But one thing that continues to beguile me is the opening credit sequence. apperantly over the many years few people have either noticed the quirk or,like me have chosen to not ask about it. The first edit after the main credits has an ambulance arriving at the MASH 4077. This edit is clearly from a different batch of film.It is dirty it is scratched and yet this edit remained in the opening credits the entire run of the show. Why was it there and why did it remain there? Someone must know.It frankly, reminds me of the "Rosebud" dilemma from Citizen Kane.
  • HE is worried that prinsiple Hyde will not want her to be the School Captain

HE is worried that prinsiple Hyde will not want her to be the School Captain. Seb tries to support her and tells her there is nothing Hyde can do about it anyway as long as she gets enough votes, because that only means everyone want her to be the School Captain. They tells him and Seb that she has lost the baby.
  • Wicked Old School

It may have been before my time but the reruns make it almost like its still new. Theres always an episode on that you never realised you hadn't seen. Always a laugh but always a message too! Definitely one not to miss but I still dont think I have ever seen the very first episode!
  • m*a*s*h*

Mash is a show about the medical team who is working behind the scenes during the korean war. the charecters include hawkeye , radar , klinger ,and charles wincester who was once called chauncey ambercrombie. this is a very funny show and has been enjoyed for ages. all the members of my family enjoy this show and it all ways has me laughing like crazy. there are always funny gags and silly pranks involved in episode which make it even funnier. this show is a classic and will never be out of style. this has been a coolchris44 review. M*A*S*H* rocks!
  • it's before my time but it's too funny to miss out on.

the show was great and super hilarious and the actors were great and funny with a few sad moments here and there but no show has never been about doctors and surgeons helping soldiers in the korean war set in the 50s but the show was canceled for one reason and alan alda explained in the 30 year reunion he said the show was canceled because they wanted and decided to end the show while they were on top instead of slowly going down hill and then forced to be canceled and I agree. the show was great and it made it self great.
  • one of the few "best"!

any dramady (drama comedy) out now owes its props to MASH. cleaver acting, writting, and directing, without every repeating itself are the true reason why its one of the best! a classic example is the episode "POV" in which the entire episode is shown thru the eyes of a wounded soldier. while the first few season may have been seen as a comedy, it truelly didnt hit its stride until 4th season. whith a run longer than the actual korean war, MASH can be seen by generations as a true television classic.
    ps
    pick up the dvd seasons and catch all the unedited versions.
  • Classic war humor

MASH the series, even though fashioned from the MOVIE, both were really born from the Hilarious Classic about the insanities of military intellegence in time of war, CATCH 22.

Many watchers were no doubt former military or spouses and children of those who served.

The ensemble which carried this series into our homes every week were superb. Both Mike and Alan were so committed to the Acting arts would practice their scenes even after the scene was "in the can."

Simply wonderful and a humorous relief from the horrors of battle fatigue and death.
  • great war show that provided comic relief but also showed how war affects people.

M*A*S*H was a great show that involved the war and showed how the war affected peoples lives, but it also brought in humor through the doctors and nurses who lived at te 4077th MASH unit. The episodes were very well done and the actors were amazing. I'm glad they still show reruns on the Hallmark channel!
  • love the show but...

Love the show entirely except one character. Colonel Flagg can't stand him worst character in any tv show ever. Lucky he is only in 5 episodes or so.
  • Still makes me laugh

I'm always surprised when people admit that they've never seen this show. I truly can't understand how one can grow up in the English-speaking world and never encounter it. This has been one of my favorite shows since I was in middle school, and that was over thirty years after this show went off the air. In a way, the themes and issues it addresses are timeless: war is hell, everyone is human, etc. The best part, though, was that the show could talk about these issues without getting too preachy (it was the seventies, after all) and still maintain awesome humor. The humor began to grow stale right around the time BJ grew his mustache, but all episodes before then can still make me fall down laughing.
< 1 2 3 4 5