M*A*S*H

CBS (ended 1983)

fireballil

User Score: 2074

M*A*S*H Fan Reviews (138)

• Classic-helped shape my sense of humor!

I watched this show growing up and it quite literally contributed to the sense of humor I developed. It's a classic show which I don't have to give a second thought to having on when the kids are in the room, which is not something that can be taken for granted these days. I feel that the first 8 to ten seasons are better than the later seasons but that's only because it was lighter and more humorous in nature and became slightly darker and more serious in the later seasons. Definitely worth watching as it reruns just about anywhere there is tv!
  • M*A*S*H

I am new to and I am having trouble navigating the site to watch MASH - Help Please!

Thanks
  • love the show but...

Love the show entirely except one character. Colonel Flagg can't stand him worst character in any tv show ever. Lucky he is only in 5 episodes or so.
  • Simply the Best!

M*A*S*H is certainly the greatest TV series of all time. The show's humor, drama, compassion and audacity is unmatched by any other single series in television history. MASH was also very far ahead of its time in dealing with real life issues such as racism, sexual harassment, war crimes and medical ethics.

MASH tackled many of these awkward subjects before it was "cool" to do so.
  • Undeniably one of the Best!!!

Undeniably, "MASH" is the most GENUINE show ever produced. The script is unimaginable, and therefore the plots are applied relevantly to our culture, this show really represented the every person's different life. With deep drama, and sensible comedy, this show takes the viewers through the struggles and happiness of life. The collaboration between the whole casts is superb. I also love the concept of the fight against war. I bought a nice boxset at DVDBOOTH .COM which really provided me good quality DVDs. Among all the TV series created, MASH is definitely ranked as one of the highest rated TV show in the history.
  • M*A*S*H is definetly my favorite.

I've been watching mash on a local TV station called MeTv, on channel 4.2. Anyways love the show always have time for mash (sometimes). Even though it is out of my generation I still watch it. Oh and by the way it is on local tv at 6:00-7:00
  • When the new generation says "MASH what is that ?! " it will be a sad time for me .

This show made my childhood , Its a glorious show with awesome acting , A truly marvelous classic that i would force my kids to watch when they come to me about "plastic girl tv shows"
  • One of My All Time Favorite Shows

MASH was always fun to watch. My favorite actors in this show was Alan Alda and Harry Morgan.

pete
  • amazing

i wont say this show changed my life but it has given me a whole new persective on life " tell me does God answer all prayers?" "yes but some times the answer is no." who came up with that line it was great but it made you cry sometimes to like in aybsinnia henry
  • Absolutely hilarious! Witty! Just Good!

Absolutely hilarious! Witty! Just Good! Those are just some words that could be used to describe M*A*S*H. What makes M*A*S*H a truly good is the chemistry between the actors. Henry Blake's goof-off command style is diametrically opposed to Frank Burns' and Margaret "Hotlips" Houlihan's strict military personalities that they thy to enforce on everyone else. When I need some comic relief, I turn on a classic episode of M*A*S*H.
  • The Korean Conflict, Police Action, or just plain old War was a glorified war with motion pictures like ToraTora and Patton but what happened with the humanity of the war. M*A*S*H, Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, tells the exploits of a surgical team as t

Amazing, special, hilarious, timeless, and innovative all describe the hilarious outtakes of the M*A*S*H 4077th team explores the sexual, social, professional, and personal antics of a mismatched crew of surgeons, nurses, and general army personnel. The Korean War lasted 3 years but the series M*A*S*H lasted much longer. This critically acclaimed series is far under appreciated at its current time for its comic genius.

Alan Alda is the key character known as Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce. His exploits are humorous and his antidotes are thought provoking. Many people enjoyed the series for its innovative humor but the moral lessons learned through the series are timeless as well. M*A*S*H earned the credit that the series deserved in its fourth season with the astonishing death of the dear leader Henry Blake. M*A*S*H skyrocketed up to the number one spot.

The series ended several years later with a final episode that obtained the record of most watched episode of a television series ever. The fame of M*A*S*H had reached a peak right as it ended.

Currently the DVD version of the show is being released as Seasons 1 through 8 are now available for purchase. These sets give a timeless show a new birth as its daytime rerun spot was removed from the FX lineup. M*A*S*H has a loyal following such as I but not many people realize that the humor, wit, morals, and drama leave something for each person to enjoy. M*A*S*H is a timeless masterpiece that inspired a generation of television.
  • A show about a station of nurses in the middle of the war, in Korea. There are two best friends, the pushy woman nurse, the timid man nurse, one male who wants to leave the army and will try ANYTHING to get out of the army legally, and others.

This is surely a classic. It can get kind of boring, but it is good to fall asleep to, since it is usually on late at night. It is still a very good show. Most people can relate to, or at least enjoy this show. It is quite funnny, but not that funny; mediocre.
  • The antics and emotions of a single Mobile Army Surgical Hospital called the 4077th. The audience recieves an extremely personal glance at doctors, service men, and nurses as they adapt to a tragic war. Beautifully simple, fun, yet bittersweet.

(Spoilers Within)
    M*A*S*H is quite simply the greatest TV show ever created. It is elegantly simple in its premise:doctors, nurses, corpsman, clerks, and the victims of the war escape the tragedy around them through acts of borderline to over-the-line lunacy. The show is held together through the complex parrallel narratives (most often two stories, one dramatic and one comedic) and the chemistry developed between the characters. From the extreme highs of watching Trapper and Hawkeye "box" Frank Burns to the absolute bitterness of Henry's tragic death. This show succesfully managed to juggle the comedy and the dramatic elements of the story into a powerful juggernaut of emotion. Throughout the 11 years of this precious series the show never loses its appeal. One does not realise how much of force this series became in a person's life until that final "Goodbye" slides into a view in the finale. It is so utterly painful since you know the journey is over but so poignant that you feel as if you were part of the 4077th, not just watching it.

The one word to describe this series is simple to find: Perfect.
  • 3 years of war equils 11 years of hillarity!

I'm not sure where the creators of this show got thier idea, or how they found the cast for it (i could probably find out if I watched the extras on the DVD's) but they are pure genius'. The show started off incredably strong and did nothing but improve. While most programs will have what I call a dead season this show was lucky enough to squeek by with only a few dead episodes. When Alan Alda began writing and producing the show made a dramatic turn and it did so in a good way. Oher than a few minor problems, the show went off without a hitch. (One problem being a character called Spear-chucker form season 1 episodes...there were no black surgons in the Korean Conflict) But those problems were solved as son as they were discovered. A regluar cast of character that will keep you in stitches longer than their patients. This show had one bennifit that many characters stuck around. Alan Alda, for instance, was in episode one and was also one of the last characters you saw in the final episode with only missing a few here and there for unknown reasons. Full of laughs and moving diologue this show is a must see for all!

Dr. Sydny Freedman: Klinger I hope you get that Section 8, and the day you do there'll be an entire platoon of men in hoop skirts right behind you!

Dead Season: A season in a television serries that doesn't quite live up to previous standards. The cause for such can be the introduction of new writers, directors or producers.

Dead Episode: An episode of a television serries that isn't quite as entertaining as others.
  • M.A.S.H. did nothing less than change the landscape of television comedy, bringing pointed social commentary and high satire to a medium that had previously been the domain of variety shows and slapsticky situation comedies.

It's probably hard to believe now, since it has been imitated so much, that M.A.S.H. was a maverick program when it first aired. Its daringly frank look at the bloody reality of a battlefield hospital was cutting edge, and the Korean War setting was audacious, given the unavoidable parallels with the Vietnam War, still smoldering at the time. M.A.S.H. also pioneered the jarring approach of juxtaposing highly dramatic story lines with zany comic antics, long before the term "dramedy" was coined. The characters were finely drawn, and instantly classic. And the acerbic, urbane style of humor it specialized in is the industry gold standard today.
  • A real gem

This is a show that dramatically changed the landscape of television. It looks at the atrocities and hardships of war as well as the generosity of the human heart. It is truly a seriocomic television show, something that is rare. Based off of an award winning movie this show had more heart and more soul than any other that I've ever seen. I grew up watching it with my father and still watch it to this day. The fact that you can still watch it on tv for upwards of six hours 5 days a week between the different channels is proof positive that this show is a real winner. Following the lives of a M*A*S*H unit allows the show to focus not just on the horrors of war, though there is plenty of that, but also on the doctors and nurses who do real good. A political commentary on the Vietnam War (even though it took place during the Korean War), this show makes me both laugh out loud and cry, managing to make me do both with some episodes. There has never been another show like it. It had a truly profound impact on American tv and its social commentary is strong without being cheesey. In my opinion it is the best show on tv.
  • we meet the doctors of the 4077. hawkeye, trapper, bj, frank, hotlips, potter, rader, kinger, charles and blake.

i remember when i was little my grandfather would let me watch this show. i didnt understand it then. but i know i liked it. when i become older i loved the way it was set. it was about war but they did it in a funny way as well. with a great cast and great story lines it was a hit. we are now in the year 2007 and the reruns are still as popular till this day. we got to see humour the horror and sadness of the day to day mash unit. this is still a classic show that never gets boring. we meet new charcters and said goodbuy to old one. mash is one show that will be around for a very long time.
  • Still makes me laugh

I'm always surprised when people admit that they've never seen this show. I truly can't understand how one can grow up in the English-speaking world and never encounter it. This has been one of my favorite shows since I was in middle school, and that was over thirty years after this show went off the air. In a way, the themes and issues it addresses are timeless: war is hell, everyone is human, etc. The best part, though, was that the show could talk about these issues without getting too preachy (it was the seventies, after all) and still maintain awesome humor. The humor began to grow stale right around the time BJ grew his mustache, but all episodes before then can still make me fall down laughing.
  • A classic that made tv viewing an experience.

M.A.S.H is a TV show that is serious and funny at the same time. "Can it be?" I hear you ask. Well, just have a look and see for yourself. Put together a team of wacky nurses and surgeons and top them off with a corporal that is one step ahead of his commanding officer and another corporal that dresses like a woman, trying to get out on a Section 8 'Psycho discharge', and you have yourself a recipe for chaos and laughs all in the one place. Radar O'Rielly can hear choppers while they are still a way off, which is just weird, and Captain Hawkeye and the Swamp residents operate a still with which they make their own martinis. Hawkeye and his sidekick BJ or Trapper are always picking on Frank Burns or Charles Winchester. They find any opportunity to pick on Frank Burns and Margaret 'Hot Lips' Houlihan. Hawkeye also helps support the local orphanage, 'Sister Theresa's orphanage'. He even uses his childhood imaginary friend as a real officer and forges some army documents to get the orphanage supplies and money. Apart from causing mischief and passing their time being hooligans and troublemakers, Hawkeye and BJ & Trapper are the best surgeons in the entire east asian theatre of operations. In fact, their performance in surgery has often impressed their superior officers so much that they are often pardoned for their rebelious behaviour and/or insubordination. As they put it in their own humorous way, "We Did It Again, Screwed Up In Reverse!"

In summary I would rate the show 10/10 because I find it highly entertaining and a pleasure to sit and watch. I don't get bored watching the show and it is never dull.

I thank the brave doctors and nurses on the front line down at the old M.A.S.H 4077. I salute them with my highest commendation and say, Thanks for the memories and the many years of brilliant entertainment.
  • This is my favorite show of all time.M*A*S*H has stood the test of time in re-runs.The change from mostly a comedy to more drama was okay as the charcaters were important to me.Set in the Korean war a Army hospital deals with life & death.

I love this show it can be great at times. Others especially towards the last 3 seasons it can get a little preachy or let us say its anti-war agenda is pushed some and a liberal philosophy is surely there. The characters are most important to me. Hawkeye is there from beginning to end. Also is Margaret. Col Potter was a favorite as he showed the skills and strength of a good leader and that is why I always preferred him to Henry Blake. Radar is missed at times but Klinger keeps it lively. BJ is better in the Drama parts and Trapper John better at comedy. Father Mulcahey is most consistent. Sometimes Margaret is not that believable especially near the shows end as her make up and nails are to perfect and her looks "changed".

This Friday they will show the last episode it one show not in segments and I can't remember when they last did that. So get you recorders ready and grab some popcorn it going to be a fun Friday night at home.
  • A season too long takes a tenth off an otherwise perfect show...

...but this ensemble program, brilliantly (for the most part) written, gave me much pleasure, and many memorable moments. Sure, at the end of the series, it was almost the "Alan Alda Show" - but even then, there was sufficient work given to the remainder of the cast to keep the show interesting. The moment the show was doomed was not when Wayne Rogers left (for Mike Farrell replaced him brilliantly), nor when McLean Stevenson left (Harry Morgan replaced him even more brilliantly), nor when Larry Linville left (David Ogden Stiers, as Major Winchester, was simply fantastic). However, the producers could not replace Gary Burghoff, despite Jamie Farr's valiant efforts to replace Radar as company clerk. In fact, Radar, although unseen, played a key role in a later episode.

The final episode, "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen", prevented me rating the show about one-half point lower - the last season was rather dire, compared to the 4077th's glory seasons. Well worth watching again and again.
  • What a great show it was, MASH! When I was a kid I udes to watch it with my older brother. Now, I'm extremaly happy that Polish TVP2 decided to rerun it.

This is one of the shows you never get tired of, humour is great, yet sometimes dark,and the plot is smart and actors are extremally well cast. MASH was in TV way beyond my time (when it ended I was a toddler) and it sad to say, that no one do shows like that anymore. It seems that whenever i watch it again, I discover something new. Absolutely great instalement and I recoment everyone to watch it - surely they will find something they like. So find yourself a DVD with it, sit back, relax and I hope you will like it.
  • A group of surgeons, nurses and army men find comfort, laughs and lessons to learn in each other during the devastating Korean War. Very funny as well.

I don't even know where to start. I began watching it quite a few years ago when my brother bought the sixth season. Not the right place to start I know, but I was hooked from the first episode. I fell in love with Hawkeye immediately - with his wit, his character development and his dedication to his job. B.J. was an incredible character as well. Frank has to be one of the funniest characters that I've ever watched on television and Henry Blake was entertaining and endearing. I'm not one who felt that the show died after it changed a few of its characters. I loved Charles almost as much as Frank and I probably liked Colonel Potter better than Henry. I was never a fan of Trapper so B.J was a welcome addition. Margaret never failed to annoy me during the earlier seasons, but I love where they took her character after Frank's departure and by the end she was a favourite. The smaller characters were always a riot as well. Radar was such a sweetie and I was sad to see him go. Klinger, in or out of a dress, was a character the likes of which we will never see again. I really appreciated Father Mulcahey's character as well. The storylines ranged from downright farcical to very moving. They never failed to make me laugh and cry and just smile at characters that I came to know so well.
  • Defenetly one of the best shows ever made.

Defenetly one of the best shows ever made. It has the perfect mix of humour and seriousness. And has the ability to make you laugh, cry and think. The characters are easily lovable and develop throughout the series. I love the fact that they could pair pretty much anyone with Hawkeye and it would work. The story lines were heartfelt and honest and didn't hold anything back, they gave a point of view of war I think many people hadn't seen before. It didn't make fun of or mock the war but show the lighter side and the dark side of many horrible situations.
  • based back at the time of the korean war. a MASH unit deals with the stress of war and the number of casualties that go in for medical care and "meatball surgery"

I love this show! i first watched it once with my dad when i had to stay home from school because i was sick. i recently started watching reruns after school and now i'm addicted. i cant believe this show went on for so long but i think that it was one of the first doctor show of the older days... the first good one anyway. its one of those shows with good comedy and character development, u dont see show with the same funnies any more. sure there is humour but nothing like the constant sarcasm and jokes that they have on M*A*S*H! its old time jokes that we dont get anymore :( and i love it soo much!!
  • A truly great show!

Sure, it may have stopped filming while I was still in diapers, but M*A*S*H is still one of the best shows ever. Here's why:

Great writing. Often hilarious, but not just about the laugh lines. Each character has his or her own distinctive voice, and the main characters (even most of the minor ones too) are fully rendered individuals.

Great acting. The cast really brings the characters to life, not just delivering lines well but getting right the small details of expression and posture that make a scene truly convincing.

Original setting. Who would have thought the Korean war would be a good setting for a comedy? But it works, and the show is ultimately more interesting for its peculiarities.
  • this "dramdy" chronicled the daily lives of a mobile army surgical hopital in war torn korea during the 1950's. side splitting laughs in a dreary setting.

i used to watch mash with father since i was in diapers. it is still one of my all time favorite programs. the inventor of the "dramady"--drama and comedy show in one. the show is set in war torn south korea. "mash" is short for mobile army surgical hospital, the entire camp can be packed up and moved to an entirely different location within hours in order to avoid enemy attacks. soldiers die and sometimes doctors can't prevent that. amid all the seriousness, the antics of the personnel of mash 4077 are outrageous. the surgeons need to find an outlet for all of their bottled up emotions and they usually unleash hordes of practical jokes and witty comebacks on each other. the first 3 seasons are still my favorite, a lighter tone and trapper john is my favorite character. i have over the years developed and appreciation for later seasons. a bit more serious but amazing stories and writing. early on there were several major cast changes, but mash didn't miss a beat, staying on the air for 11 years. i was one of the millions of viewers who made the final episode the most watched tv episode of all time, a record that still hasn't been broken even after more than 25 years! thanks to reruns and dvd, i can still enjoy the antics of hawkeye, trapper, hunnicut, frank, charles, radar, henry, col potter, hot lips houlihan, klinger, father mulcahy and the rest of the 4077th. a true classic that will live on forever.
  • Perhaps the greatest sitcom ever

The cast was top-notch. Alan Alda as Hawkeye was my favourite. When Wayne Rogers was replaced by Mike Farrell the series dropped some points but still it was good. The dialogue lines are very different from that of other series. The show never lost it's edge in my eyes, I mean sure, like every show they had their not so great episodes, but they always recovered. They are fresh, funny and very intelligent. One note is the 11 year run of "MASH" as it's evidence of its success. "MASH" was pretentiously contrived as the thinking man's satire upon war but it is not just that. "MASH" is something more. You'll have just to see it.
  • A one of a kind comedy-drama that will leave you in stitches and think at the same time.

M*A*S*H the series began in 1972, it follows the life of Dr. Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce who was drafted into the Korean War. He's a civilian at heart and makes it known by word and deed, he ignores military discipline and acts crazy to stay sane in a place he doesn't want to be.
    Other characters are Lt. Colonel Henry Blake who is about as un-G. I as you can get, and often sides with Hawkeye. "Trapper" John McIntyre is Hawkeye's sidekick. They often pull pranks on their nemesis Major Frank Burns, who is a semi-competent surgeon, and way too G. I. His sidekick is Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan, whom Burns is having an affair with that only he and Hot lips think is secret.
    Other characters are Corporal Klinger, who dresses in women's clothes to try and get out of the army on a section 8, and Father Mulcahy.
    The show does take a more serious tone in its later years (it lasted 11 seasons), it sometimes interferes with the humor and does dip a little in quality (which is why I did not give it a 10), but it does still have many funny moments throughout the series.
    The show also has multiple characters who exit the show and are replaced with other very different characters. These changes are handled very well, and don't try to mimic the departing character.
    For those who have never seen the show (I had not seen it until 2 years ago) I highly recommend that you see it from the beginning.
  • Ive said before I seldom give 10 to shows but this is the one show where we get close (treat it as 9.8 if you want).

Il keep this short and sweet, the show can be divided up into two sections, seasons 1-3 and 4 - 11.

The actors in both where amazing and their replacements at the start of season 4 where great (but very different in their own right). This show is a comedy filled with one liners that keep you laughing. Though it must be said this is a light hearted comedy, you watch this show to relax and sit, laugh and get gripped. Don't be expecting crude jokes or laughs, expect puns and witty play on words from all the characters, interlaced with practical jokes and hilarious antics.

You can watch pretty much any show you want, most of the episodes are very stand alone, saying that watch them in order because there is still a great story line.

The stand in characters are great, from Flag to Sidney to that Korean black market guy, just adding more humor to the mix. While the main actors are great with their constant banter between them and great laughs.

It must be said the show slightly deteriorated in humor towards the end (10-11), still a great watch but I found myself not laughing as hard at times. However I could not recommend a season to you as each season has its golden episodes, from 5 a clock Charlie, to Henry's Desk one, to any and I mean any of the Sidney ones, to the Korean surrendering to Hawkeye and Honeycutt.

I myself own the MASH box set and find if I am up for a laugh I will just choose a random disk, slot it in and sit back and enjoy, the true essence of light hearted comedy.

A must watch, though do not be expecting the crude nature of Red Dwarf (though I love that show too), think more Friends, in a war zone where not everyone gets along.
< 1 2 3 4 5