M*A*S*H

CBS (ended 1983)

fireballil

User Score: 2047

M*A*S*H Fan Reviews (136)

• Absolutely hilarious! Witty! Just Good!

Absolutely hilarious! Witty! Just Good! Those are just some words that could be used to describe M*A*S*H. What makes M*A*S*H a truly good is the chemistry between the actors. Henry Blake's goof-off command style is diametrically opposed to Frank Burns' and Margaret "Hotlips" Houlihan's strict military personalities that they thy to enforce on everyone else. When I need some comic relief, I turn on a classic episode of M*A*S*H.
  • Defenetly one of the best shows ever made.

Defenetly one of the best shows ever made. It has the perfect mix of humour and seriousness. And has the ability to make you laugh, cry and think. The characters are easily lovable and develop throughout the series. I love the fact that they could pair pretty much anyone with Hawkeye and it would work. The story lines were heartfelt and honest and didn't hold anything back, they gave a point of view of war I think many people hadn't seen before. It didn't make fun of or mock the war but show the lighter side and the dark side of many horrible situations.
  • What a great show it was, MASH! When I was a kid I udes to watch it with my older brother. Now, I'm extremaly happy that Polish TVP2 decided to rerun it.

This is one of the shows you never get tired of, humour is great, yet sometimes dark,and the plot is smart and actors are extremally well cast. MASH was in TV way beyond my time (when it ended I was a toddler) and it sad to say, that no one do shows like that anymore. It seems that whenever i watch it again, I discover something new. Absolutely great instalement and I recoment everyone to watch it - surely they will find something they like. So find yourself a DVD with it, sit back, relax and I hope you will like it.
  • A group of surgeons, nurses and army men find comfort, laughs and lessons to learn in each other during the devastating Korean War. Very funny as well.

I don't even know where to start. I began watching it quite a few years ago when my brother bought the sixth season. Not the right place to start I know, but I was hooked from the first episode. I fell in love with Hawkeye immediately - with his wit, his character development and his dedication to his job. B.J. was an incredible character as well. Frank has to be one of the funniest characters that I've ever watched on television and Henry Blake was entertaining and endearing. I'm not one who felt that the show died after it changed a few of its characters. I loved Charles almost as much as Frank and I probably liked Colonel Potter better than Henry. I was never a fan of Trapper so B.J was a welcome addition. Margaret never failed to annoy me during the earlier seasons, but I love where they took her character after Frank's departure and by the end she was a favourite. The smaller characters were always a riot as well. Radar was such a sweetie and I was sad to see him go. Klinger, in or out of a dress, was a character the likes of which we will never see again. I really appreciated Father Mulcahey's character as well. The storylines ranged from downright farcical to very moving. They never failed to make me laugh and cry and just smile at characters that I came to know so well.
  • based back at the time of the korean war. a MASH unit deals with the stress of war and the number of casualties that go in for medical care and "meatball surgery"

I love this show! i first watched it once with my dad when i had to stay home from school because i was sick. i recently started watching reruns after school and now i'm addicted. i cant believe this show went on for so long but i think that it was one of the first doctor show of the older days... the first good one anyway. its one of those shows with good comedy and character development, u dont see show with the same funnies any more. sure there is humour but nothing like the constant sarcasm and jokes that they have on M*A*S*H! its old time jokes that we dont get anymore :( and i love it soo much!!
  • M*A*S*H is based on a book by Richard Hooker and the classic 1970 movie. Set during the Korean war, we follow the life of the 4077th staff as they try to get through the war on this foreign soil.

Most people will say that M*A*S*H lost it's "prestige" when they started to introduce more dramatic elements (see the episode "Sometimes you hear the bullet") but I believe it got more powerful. It showed a darker side of the characters (especially Alan Alda's) and gave the show a warm human perspective.

The characters had to deal with the fact that they're far from their families, that their job was fixing up young wounded kids and that it's going to be that way the next day. As the show progressed, we could "feel" that the characters realized more and more that they weren't going anywhere for a while.

This show had everything, from begining to end. It is truly, in my humble opinion, the best peice of entertainment ever conceived.
  • A program set during the Korean War, but produced to show the conditions and feelings of the Vietnam War.

I did not like M*A*S*H the first time I saw it. I was looking for something to tape over, and the only tape left was titled "M*A*S*H: The Final Episode." Unfortunately, seeing Klinger in his dresses for the very first time without a previous explanation did not help my delicate psyche. Eventually, I grew to love the show, and all its idiosynchrasies. I most certainly prefer the episodes after Col. Blake dies and Col. Potter takes over, because they are more witty and comical. I also was cheering when Frank left, but kudos to Larry Linville for making that character exactly as hateable as he should be. He makes a perfect foil to B.J. later on. When Trapper John left, I wasn't all too sad either. The final seasons, in which Col. Potter, Major Winchester, and Captain Honeycutt are all together, are my personal favorites. The episode "The Yalu Brick Road" was particularly good, mainly because when I saw it for the first time, it was right after we'd stuffed ourselves with turkey the day before on Thanksgiving. All and all, M*A*S*H is one of the most quotable shows I've found on television.
  • Perhaps the greatest sitcom ever

The cast was top-notch. Alan Alda as Hawkeye was my favourite. When Wayne Rogers was replaced by Mike Farrell the series dropped some points but still it was good. The dialogue lines are very different from that of other series. The show never lost it's edge in my eyes, I mean sure, like every show they had their not so great episodes, but they always recovered. They are fresh, funny and very intelligent. One note is the 11 year run of "MASH" as it's evidence of its success. "MASH" was pretentiously contrived as the thinking man's satire upon war but it is not just that. "MASH" is something more. You'll have just to see it.
  • Simply the Best!

M*A*S*H is certainly the greatest TV series of all time. The show's humor, drama, compassion and audacity is unmatched by any other single series in television history. MASH was also very far ahead of its time in dealing with real life issues such as racism, sexual harassment, war crimes and medical ethics.

MASH tackled many of these awkward subjects before it was "cool" to do so.
  • Undeniably one of the Best!!!

Undeniably, "MASH" is the most GENUINE show ever produced. The script is unimaginable, and therefore the plots are applied relevantly to our culture, this show really represented the every person's different life. With deep drama, and sensible comedy, this show takes the viewers through the struggles and happiness of life. The collaboration between the whole casts is superb. I also love the concept of the fight against war. I bought a nice boxset at DVDBOOTH .COM which really provided me good quality DVDs. Among all the TV series created, MASH is definitely ranked as one of the highest rated TV show in the history.
  • The Korean Conflict, Police Action, or just plain old War was a glorified war with motion pictures like ToraTora and Patton but what happened with the humanity of the war. M*A*S*H, Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, tells the exploits of a surgical team as t

Amazing, special, hilarious, timeless, and innovative all describe the hilarious outtakes of the M*A*S*H 4077th team explores the sexual, social, professional, and personal antics of a mismatched crew of surgeons, nurses, and general army personnel. The Korean War lasted 3 years but the series M*A*S*H lasted much longer. This critically acclaimed series is far under appreciated at its current time for its comic genius.

Alan Alda is the key character known as Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce. His exploits are humorous and his antidotes are thought provoking. Many people enjoyed the series for its innovative humor but the moral lessons learned through the series are timeless as well. M*A*S*H earned the credit that the series deserved in its fourth season with the astonishing death of the dear leader Henry Blake. M*A*S*H skyrocketed up to the number one spot.

The series ended several years later with a final episode that obtained the record of most watched episode of a television series ever. The fame of M*A*S*H had reached a peak right as it ended.

Currently the DVD version of the show is being released as Seasons 1 through 8 are now available for purchase. These sets give a timeless show a new birth as its daytime rerun spot was removed from the FX lineup. M*A*S*H has a loyal following such as I but not many people realize that the humor, wit, morals, and drama leave something for each person to enjoy. M*A*S*H is a timeless masterpiece that inspired a generation of television.
  • A truly great show!

Sure, it may have stopped filming while I was still in diapers, but M*A*S*H is still one of the best shows ever. Here's why:

Great writing. Often hilarious, but not just about the laugh lines. Each character has his or her own distinctive voice, and the main characters (even most of the minor ones too) are fully rendered individuals.

Great acting. The cast really brings the characters to life, not just delivering lines well but getting right the small details of expression and posture that make a scene truly convincing.

Original setting. Who would have thought the Korean war would be a good setting for a comedy? But it works, and the show is ultimately more interesting for its peculiarities.
  • Ive said before I seldom give 10 to shows but this is the one show where we get close (treat it as 9.8 if you want).

Il keep this short and sweet, the show can be divided up into two sections, seasons 1-3 and 4 - 11.

The actors in both where amazing and their replacements at the start of season 4 where great (but very different in their own right). This show is a comedy filled with one liners that keep you laughing. Though it must be said this is a light hearted comedy, you watch this show to relax and sit, laugh and get gripped. Don't be expecting crude jokes or laughs, expect puns and witty play on words from all the characters, interlaced with practical jokes and hilarious antics.

You can watch pretty much any show you want, most of the episodes are very stand alone, saying that watch them in order because there is still a great story line.

The stand in characters are great, from Flag to Sidney to that Korean black market guy, just adding more humor to the mix. While the main actors are great with their constant banter between them and great laughs.

It must be said the show slightly deteriorated in humor towards the end (10-11), still a great watch but I found myself not laughing as hard at times. However I could not recommend a season to you as each season has its golden episodes, from 5 a clock Charlie, to Henry's Desk one, to any and I mean any of the Sidney ones, to the Korean surrendering to Hawkeye and Honeycutt.

I myself own the MASH box set and find if I am up for a laugh I will just choose a random disk, slot it in and sit back and enjoy, the true essence of light hearted comedy.

A must watch, though do not be expecting the crude nature of Red Dwarf (though I love that show too), think more Friends, in a war zone where not everyone gets along.
  • Wow! what a show. evolves from comedy to drama but still has "it" the whole time. Always considered one of the top shows of all-time

This show starts out as an all out sitcom for 3 seasons with drama, the perfect mix of drama, and comedy. From the 4th season on, it became 50/50 comedy and drama, and grew more towards drama. The characters are incredible. Some of the best acting. I will own all the DVD season eventually. This show has a famous episode at the end of the 3rd season and the last one, which is the single most watched event in TV history. CLASSIC! MUST-SEE! Always considered one of the top shows of all-time.
  • A season too long takes a tenth off an otherwise perfect show...

...but this ensemble program, brilliantly (for the most part) written, gave me much pleasure, and many memorable moments. Sure, at the end of the series, it was almost the "Alan Alda Show" - but even then, there was sufficient work given to the remainder of the cast to keep the show interesting. The moment the show was doomed was not when Wayne Rogers left (for Mike Farrell replaced him brilliantly), nor when McLean Stevenson left (Harry Morgan replaced him even more brilliantly), nor when Larry Linville left (David Ogden Stiers, as Major Winchester, was simply fantastic). However, the producers could not replace Gary Burghoff, despite Jamie Farr's valiant efforts to replace Radar as company clerk. In fact, Radar, although unseen, played a key role in a later episode.

The final episode, "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen", prevented me rating the show about one-half point lower - the last season was rather dire, compared to the 4077th's glory seasons. Well worth watching again and again.
  • The story of a group of surgeons in a M*A*S*H* unit in Korea during the Korean conflict, told from the perspective of several very unmilitary doctors.

To call M*A*S*H* a comedy is to categorize it in a way that is impossible. M*A*S*H* covers everything, from drama, to comedy, to heartbreak, to pure joy. M*A*S*H* innovated on many levels, with new and revisited techniques (an episode in real time, episodes in b&w, episodes without a laugh track).
  • This is my favorite show of all time.M*A*S*H has stood the test of time in re-runs.The change from mostly a comedy to more drama was okay as the charcaters were important to me.Set in the Korean war a Army hospital deals with life & death.

I love this show it can be great at times. Others especially towards the last 3 seasons it can get a little preachy or let us say its anti-war agenda is pushed some and a liberal philosophy is surely there. The characters are most important to me. Hawkeye is there from beginning to end. Also is Margaret. Col Potter was a favorite as he showed the skills and strength of a good leader and that is why I always preferred him to Henry Blake. Radar is missed at times but Klinger keeps it lively. BJ is better in the Drama parts and Trapper John better at comedy. Father Mulcahey is most consistent. Sometimes Margaret is not that believable especially near the shows end as her make up and nails are to perfect and her looks "changed".

This Friday they will show the last episode it one show not in segments and I can't remember when they last did that. So get you recorders ready and grab some popcorn it going to be a fun Friday night at home.
  • suicide is painless...

So although this show was before my time thanks to syndication I have found what a great show it is and became totally addicted. I can quote so many of the episodes and can tell you the plot by just watching the first 30 seconds. The reason that I love this show…it really is timeless. The anti-war themes are very relevant in today’s society. The humor and the characters are just wonderful. You feel like you know these people, like they are people that you could sit down and have a drink with. Throughout the seasons you enjoy following them. They make you laugh, they make you cry. There is not a lot of current shows that have the same feeling as M*A*S*H.
  • A one of a kind comedy-drama that will leave you in stitches and think at the same time.

M*A*S*H the series began in 1972, it follows the life of Dr. Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce who was drafted into the Korean War. He's a civilian at heart and makes it known by word and deed, he ignores military discipline and acts crazy to stay sane in a place he doesn't want to be.
    Other characters are Lt. Colonel Henry Blake who is about as un-G. I as you can get, and often sides with Hawkeye. "Trapper" John McIntyre is Hawkeye's sidekick. They often pull pranks on their nemesis Major Frank Burns, who is a semi-competent surgeon, and way too G. I. His sidekick is Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan, whom Burns is having an affair with that only he and Hot lips think is secret.
    Other characters are Corporal Klinger, who dresses in women's clothes to try and get out of the army on a section 8, and Father Mulcahy.
    The show does take a more serious tone in its later years (it lasted 11 seasons), it sometimes interferes with the humor and does dip a little in quality (which is why I did not give it a 10), but it does still have many funny moments throughout the series.
    The show also has multiple characters who exit the show and are replaced with other very different characters. These changes are handled very well, and don't try to mimic the departing character.
    For those who have never seen the show (I had not seen it until 2 years ago) I highly recommend that you see it from the beginning.
  • A show that had many themes and did all of them very well!

It has been said by more than a few television critics that the 70's were the golden era for comedies. If this is true, MASH was a big part of that comedic renaissance. Mixing comedy with touches of drama, the show had a cast of virtual unknowns when it debuted in the early 70's. Although it was slow to build an audience, people grew attached to the wide range characters in the show. From the zany antics of Hawkeye Pierce, portrayed by actor Alan Alda, to the prudishness of Frank Burns, played by the late Larry Linville, this was a show that succeeded in showing the daily workings of a MASH unit during the Korean conflict of the 1950's. For myself, many of the episodes of the first three seasons are some of the funniest shows ever broadcast on TV. ' Tuttle ', ' Five O'Clock Charlie ', ' Sometimes You Hear the Bullet ' and ' Abyssinia Henry ' are the episodes that I never tire of watching again and again.

However, this series did start to detoriate somewhat as the years passed and the writers changed. For myself, the comedic spark that was a big part of MASH seemed to fade away almost completely with each successive year. There was the odd episode that seemed to resonate with a blend of comedy or drama but the majority were largely dramatic, even preachy, as an anti war message seemed to be a repeating theme in the last few seasons.

Despite this, I still think MASH was one show that is truly an icon of the television age. With tremendous acting, phenomenal writing and a depth that is rarely, if ever, seen on TV shows these days, it deserves the reputation of being one of the best shows ever!
  • M*A*S*H is definetly my favorite.

I've been watching mash on a local TV station called MeTv, on channel 4.2. Anyways love the show always have time for mash (sometimes). Even though it is out of my generation I still watch it. Oh and by the way it is on local tv at 6:00-7:00
  • When the new generation says "MASH what is that ?! " it will be a sad time for me .

This show made my childhood , Its a glorious show with awesome acting , A truly marvelous classic that i would force my kids to watch when they come to me about "plastic girl tv shows"
  • One of My All Time Favorite Shows

MASH was always fun to watch. My favorite actors in this show was Alan Alda and Harry Morgan.

pete
  • amazing

i wont say this show changed my life but it has given me a whole new persective on life " tell me does God answer all prayers?" "yes but some times the answer is no." who came up with that line it was great but it made you cry sometimes to like in aybsinnia henry
  • The antics and emotions of a single Mobile Army Surgical Hospital called the 4077th. The audience recieves an extremely personal glance at doctors, service men, and nurses as they adapt to a tragic war. Beautifully simple, fun, yet bittersweet.

(Spoilers Within)
    M*A*S*H is quite simply the greatest TV show ever created. It is elegantly simple in its premise:doctors, nurses, corpsman, clerks, and the victims of the war escape the tragedy around them through acts of borderline to over-the-line lunacy. The show is held together through the complex parrallel narratives (most often two stories, one dramatic and one comedic) and the chemistry developed between the characters. From the extreme highs of watching Trapper and Hawkeye "box" Frank Burns to the absolute bitterness of Henry's tragic death. This show succesfully managed to juggle the comedy and the dramatic elements of the story into a powerful juggernaut of emotion. Throughout the 11 years of this precious series the show never loses its appeal. One does not realise how much of force this series became in a person's life until that final "Goodbye" slides into a view in the finale. It is so utterly painful since you know the journey is over but so poignant that you feel as if you were part of the 4077th, not just watching it.

The one word to describe this series is simple to find: Perfect.
  • 3 years of war equils 11 years of hillarity!

I'm not sure where the creators of this show got thier idea, or how they found the cast for it (i could probably find out if I watched the extras on the DVD's) but they are pure genius'. The show started off incredably strong and did nothing but improve. While most programs will have what I call a dead season this show was lucky enough to squeek by with only a few dead episodes. When Alan Alda began writing and producing the show made a dramatic turn and it did so in a good way. Oher than a few minor problems, the show went off without a hitch. (One problem being a character called Spear-chucker form season 1 episodes...there were no black surgons in the Korean Conflict) But those problems were solved as son as they were discovered. A regluar cast of character that will keep you in stitches longer than their patients. This show had one bennifit that many characters stuck around. Alan Alda, for instance, was in episode one and was also one of the last characters you saw in the final episode with only missing a few here and there for unknown reasons. Full of laughs and moving diologue this show is a must see for all!

Dr. Sydny Freedman: Klinger I hope you get that Section 8, and the day you do there'll be an entire platoon of men in hoop skirts right behind you!

Dead Season: A season in a television serries that doesn't quite live up to previous standards. The cause for such can be the introduction of new writers, directors or producers.

Dead Episode: An episode of a television serries that isn't quite as entertaining as others.
  • A real gem

This is a show that dramatically changed the landscape of television. It looks at the atrocities and hardships of war as well as the generosity of the human heart. It is truly a seriocomic television show, something that is rare. Based off of an award winning movie this show had more heart and more soul than any other that I've ever seen. I grew up watching it with my father and still watch it to this day. The fact that you can still watch it on tv for upwards of six hours 5 days a week between the different channels is proof positive that this show is a real winner. Following the lives of a M*A*S*H unit allows the show to focus not just on the horrors of war, though there is plenty of that, but also on the doctors and nurses who do real good. A political commentary on the Vietnam War (even though it took place during the Korean War), this show makes me both laugh out loud and cry, managing to make me do both with some episodes. There has never been another show like it. It had a truly profound impact on American tv and its social commentary is strong without being cheesey. In my opinion it is the best show on tv.
  • we meet the doctors of the 4077. hawkeye, trapper, bj, frank, hotlips, potter, rader, kinger, charles and blake.

i remember when i was little my grandfather would let me watch this show. i didnt understand it then. but i know i liked it. when i become older i loved the way it was set. it was about war but they did it in a funny way as well. with a great cast and great story lines it was a hit. we are now in the year 2007 and the reruns are still as popular till this day. we got to see humour the horror and sadness of the day to day mash unit. this is still a classic show that never gets boring. we meet new charcters and said goodbuy to old one. mash is one show that will be around for a very long time.
  • A classic that made tv viewing an experience.

M.A.S.H is a TV show that is serious and funny at the same time. "Can it be?" I hear you ask. Well, just have a look and see for yourself. Put together a team of wacky nurses and surgeons and top them off with a corporal that is one step ahead of his commanding officer and another corporal that dresses like a woman, trying to get out on a Section 8 'Psycho discharge', and you have yourself a recipe for chaos and laughs all in the one place. Radar O'Rielly can hear choppers while they are still a way off, which is just weird, and Captain Hawkeye and the Swamp residents operate a still with which they make their own martinis. Hawkeye and his sidekick BJ or Trapper are always picking on Frank Burns or Charles Winchester. They find any opportunity to pick on Frank Burns and Margaret 'Hot Lips' Houlihan. Hawkeye also helps support the local orphanage, 'Sister Theresa's orphanage'. He even uses his childhood imaginary friend as a real officer and forges some army documents to get the orphanage supplies and money. Apart from causing mischief and passing their time being hooligans and troublemakers, Hawkeye and BJ & Trapper are the best surgeons in the entire east asian theatre of operations. In fact, their performance in surgery has often impressed their superior officers so much that they are often pardoned for their rebelious behaviour and/or insubordination. As they put it in their own humorous way, "We Did It Again, Screwed Up In Reverse!"

In summary I would rate the show 10/10 because I find it highly entertaining and a pleasure to sit and watch. I don't get bored watching the show and it is never dull.

I thank the brave doctors and nurses on the front line down at the old M.A.S.H 4077. I salute them with my highest commendation and say, Thanks for the memories and the many years of brilliant entertainment.
  • this "dramdy" chronicled the daily lives of a mobile army surgical hopital in war torn korea during the 1950's. side splitting laughs in a dreary setting.

i used to watch mash with father since i was in diapers. it is still one of my all time favorite programs. the inventor of the "dramady"--drama and comedy show in one. the show is set in war torn south korea. "mash" is short for mobile army surgical hospital, the entire camp can be packed up and moved to an entirely different location within hours in order to avoid enemy attacks. soldiers die and sometimes doctors can't prevent that. amid all the seriousness, the antics of the personnel of mash 4077 are outrageous. the surgeons need to find an outlet for all of their bottled up emotions and they usually unleash hordes of practical jokes and witty comebacks on each other. the first 3 seasons are still my favorite, a lighter tone and trapper john is my favorite character. i have over the years developed and appreciation for later seasons. a bit more serious but amazing stories and writing. early on there were several major cast changes, but mash didn't miss a beat, staying on the air for 11 years. i was one of the millions of viewers who made the final episode the most watched tv episode of all time, a record that still hasn't been broken even after more than 25 years! thanks to reruns and dvd, i can still enjoy the antics of hawkeye, trapper, hunnicut, frank, charles, radar, henry, col potter, hot lips houlihan, klinger, father mulcahy and the rest of the 4077th. a true classic that will live on forever.
< 1 2 3 4 5