M*A*S*H

The Late Captain Pierce

Aired Unknown Oct 03, 1975 on CBS

• Old Masher

Too bad they deceided to keeping renewing MASH again and again...It would have been better if they had filmed Major Houlihan marriage {5/24} {which should have been Houlihan last appearence} as the next to the last episode and then filmed this what should have been in my opinion the last epsiode of the series...where hawkeye goes home....the cadaver bus just takes him off into the sunset.....but they had to drag the series on for 7 more years???? Incidentally Eisenhower visit to Korea happened in December 1952...so if MASH had ACTUALLY followed the actually Korean war timeline...Winchester would have replaced Burns In January 1953 and only been in MASH 6 months until July 1953...not two years as the last epsiode claims!!!!

Of Course they wouldn't have filmed the classic 9/6 "A War for All seasons" -in which it should have been BURNS who got Burned instead of Winchester...or of having Potter welcoming the new year 1952....when he actually arrived in September 19, 1952 {4/1}

{Likewise Blake and Burns should have been in 9/6 Blake as welcoming in 1952 and Burns getting burned}. Ironically what really killed MASH as a comedy was the departure of Burns...true he played that idotic super aptriot moran...but after he left it got boring over serious and grim with little to no humor...even when they substituted Winchester the Snob for Burns the Slob and BJ for Trapper John {In several epsiodes BJ nearly has a breakdown from being seperated from his family and guilt feelings over nearly having two affairs-yet there is a epsiode where he and Hawkeye sing a duet about caring for patients during the day and working over nurses throughout the night-which would have been more in keeping with Trapper John then BJ}
  • Hawkeye is accidentally listed as dead by the Army and tries to set things straight.

Regarding a previous review, Captain Pratt did NOT use a quotation from the year 1984. He was referring to the BOOK "1984", which was written by George Orwell in 1949. The book was supposed to be set in the future.

This episode is very thoughtful. At the end, Hawkeye resigns himself to being "dead" and gets on the bus with corpses to try to get sent home. He even talks to the dead people. "I've been fighting death since I got here. If you can't lick it, join it. Right boys?" Hawkeye is upset about his father thinking he's dead and about not getting any pay or mail. But I think the real reason he becomes so unhinged is because this is just another reminder of his mortality, and Hawkeye is reminded of death enough already.

The last scene of this episode shows Hawkeye feeling better because he managed to call his father and tell him he's still alive. But the episode is still haunting.
  • Better early than late...

I am not sure what I would do if I were declared dead when I wasn't. Hawkeye seems to be able to handle it in stride (except for trying to get ahold of his dad to tell him he's alive). There are more "dead" and "I was" cliches in this than you can "shake a stick at." Hawk even has his own wake. Continuity problem: Hawk's reference to President Eisenhower is inaccurate as he did not become President till very late in the conflict. And of course there is the mountain of paperwork to get yourself declared "undead." You have to feel for the people that it actually happened to.
  • A reply to the above review

1984 is a book, written about a horible futuristic world, written many years (I don\'t know the exact year) before the Korean War, the book is a prediction, much like Back to the Future part 2 predicted 2015. I hope this makes more sense to you, than thinking the guy quoted a futuristic quote.