MasterChef Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

MasterChef: television show or infomercial?

drudager

[1]Jun 27, 2012
    • level: 13

Let me just state that I am a big fan of the show & Hell's Kitchen. But after last night's product placement of Walmart steaks & numerous commercials including one by Graham & Joe themselves, it is now teetering towards obscene.

It seems like the whole basis of the show is some elaborate marketing scheme to sell cookbooks, culinary ware, T-shirts, aprons & whatever cheesy crap they can hustle on the public with a MasterChef logo.

Yeah I can take all the intentional deceiving editing, hyped up back stories, stupid emotional drama that's a cliche on American TV & sometimes extremely questionable dismissals with little to no explanations, but don't tell me a $15 T-bone steak could pass as a $40 product or that you have an ounce of integrity while shoving Walmart products down our throats.

In another quip from Season 1, I don't care who you are or where you came from: nobody is a "master chef" at age 22 or wins a competition on fried chicken cooked in 7 minutes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[2]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 21
    I agree, the season 1 winner either won by fluke or it was staged. I'm just glad there was no major conflict regarding the season2 winner.
    As for the product placement, it's not just this show. Every show has at least some product showcased like on Fringe or House with cars. It doesn't detract from the show too much. At least with product placements, the show has some source of revenue even if it has low ratings.

I'm surprised there's no discussions of season 3 so far. Anyone still out there or did they all take the summer off?

drudager

[3]Jul 11, 2012
    I think it's a TV.com thing and from what I've read, it's only getting worse. The people here are dropping like flies.

MajLorne

[4]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 21
    Yeah, I've noticed the drop off in most other forums. It's a shame too. But then again there were glitches on the site few months back where we can't post or edit posts. I can understand the frustration.

Knightshade03

[5]Jul 25, 2012
    Yeah, product placement is to be expected but I truly wonder if you looked inside the judges refrigerators at home how much Wal Mart meat you'd find. If there is any it was probably given to them by Wal Mart as part of the placement deal and they have a labeled "for stock only". And I wonder how many takes it took for them to quip about the "quality" of the food with a straight face. Hell, I've shopped at wal-mart before and had their steaks and they're decent. They're no better or worse than any steak you'll find in a supermarket. However, I've also had steak from a butcher shop that uses local grass-fed cows and you can tell the difference. As for the forums, yeah there was a time after their remodeling that it was a royal pain to find the forums or do anything but it is better now.