MasterChef Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Season 3

MajLorne

[1]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 21

*note, I'm surprised no one has started a topic for this season yet, but oh well..

As of tonite, it's down to 8. Tali, a guy who had many many chances finally gets the boot. David needs to go as well. I will say that at the start I was skeptical about a blind contestant being on the show, but I guess they have to have an underdog and she sometimes impresses me with how good she can cook. I do hope she makes at least top 5. I'm glad ryan was gone, I was worried he was going to stay around longer like Sheron from season 1 or that guy from season 2.

As for last week, lol, seems like no matter how bad other cooks are with messes, anything raw gets an automatic boot. You can almost expect it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[2]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 13

You know what's funny & predictable? People who get stuck with the "easy" protein always end up screwing it up. It's a lot easier to screw up a great protein than to screw up a difficult protein. You notice how cocky these contestants are when they're given an advantage, they don't want it & always try too much? It's like they praise creativity but only in certain situations otherwise it really pisses Graham, Joe & Gordon off. Sometimes I think their judging is really screwy & makes no sense.

Monday night David's fish was raw but Tali whom the judges obviously hated had to go first. Basically, 2/3rds of the season is weeding out the hacks, tho it's obvious people like Frank & Becky are ringers. If Christine wins, then the whole season is fixed because there is no way a blind person can dress dishes the way everyone else can, I don't care how talented you are. I think she's getting a lot of help from her assistant by asking "does this look right?" a lot. And quite frankly, it reeks as a ratings stunt on how much they praised her until last night. A little editing trick I noticed: those who end up getting booted end up with at least half of the interview screen time. That MILF Anna got a ton of screen time in her boot.

I don't think Cowboy Mike deserved to get booted just because he made lobster, which was hardly the worst dish (despite not making a dough) & had a decent run until that point. I'm noticing some pandering towards Monti in an attempt to play the single mother sympathy card after the editors seem to include all the ragging against her. Would not surprise me if she ends up in the Top 3 and I don't think her carrot soup ("for a rainy day", she lives in Phoenix!) & burnt soda bread was the best of episode 10, either. I call shenanigans. I also think Felix got botox in her lips. They're basically just floating off her face. I think David is the next to go.

Edited on 07/10/2012 1:52pm

MajLorne

[3]Jul 10, 2012
    Spot on with your analysis.
    I agree about Monti and christine getting too lenient judging. I don't doubt Christine, but there's no way she can win it all. Had the mystery box challenge been an elimination, that would've been reason enough to cause her to be at the bottom. Monti, yeah she's becoming the female Christian now: single parent and profanity laced comments. Though I do find it funny how now everyone is turning against her and Becky. Stacy is becoming really full of herself as well.

For last week, I was surprised they booted Cowboy Mike. I mean David's plate was tossed in the trash. Sure Mike may not have known how to use a pizza stone, but how can his dish be worse than one thrown in the trash? David should've been booted earlier with Tali. Next week's promo is very confusing, so I dunno if David ends up on the losing team or not.

drudager

[4]Jul 11, 2012
    Spanks. I think the reason David is still on because of his backstory. He has that huge underdog thing going on. What was interesting was how Tanya looked so out of her league - she was the one who was crying so much about not wanting to go back to college (Sociology student btw) but the fact of the matter is, she's only 21! And every year, there's always some Ryan on there who's a punk who has no business being there at all. As a rule of thumb, I don't watch promos for any show that I know I'm going to watch; especially for this show & HK whose promos deliberately deceive and pull this "best Hell's Kitchen EVER" b.s. If anything, HK is basically the same show every time.

MajLorne

[5]Jul 11, 2012
    True, at first I was kinda rooting for David especially when Ryan and Tali were both ganging up on him, but now that he's usually at the bottom 3, he's just begging for the boot now. Agreed about Tanya, at least she still has some years left, for some others this show is their last shot. She still has a lot of opportunities to fall back on, she's the lucky one. People just taking stuff too seriously.

True again about the promos, but that's fox for you, they have to hype up everything.

drudager

[6]Jul 17, 2012
    Well that was certainly an interesting episode: Frank got screwed out of his "dream team" but still overwhelmingly won the steak challenge. One thing is clear: Monti is not a good leader & there is no way she can lead a kitchen, that's for sure. When they were hashing out the immunity, notice Felix was more than eager to nominate herself & snuck away like a little sneak. There's something very shady about her; like she would slit your throat in the darkness. After the egg pressure test, "it should had been Monti". Judging by the Twitter reaction of Josh getting the boot, it looks like MasterChef just lost a huge chunk of audience. David avoided elimination but his time is coming soon, I can feel it. Walmart, anyone?

MajLorne

[7]Jul 17, 2012
    Yeah, once again David slips by because he gets on the winning team. Yeah that was shameless how Felix took the immunity like that. Imo, Josh is one of the best remaining and it sucked seeing him go.

As for tonight, Felix for a change was proving herself with the sushi elimination challenge and basically ordering Monti around. I thought for sure Becky and David were screwed, but they won because they got everything on the plate. I wasn't shocked about Christine being safe as she held her composure and that her rice tasted good. Had she been eliminated, that would've been a real surprise.

Next week looks interesting with some of the eliminated contestants returning. Not sure what it means, but I guess the group will be bumped back to 7 again. I'm hoping for Josh to win. I don't want to see Tali or Ryan back.

drudager

[8]Jul 17, 2012
    13 episodes, Stacey one of the few who have never finished lowest & with 4 wins & 1 highest nomination gets eliminated because she cracked under pressure. Never mind she got stuck with the blind woman whom on a sight-on-seen remake competition is the absolute dead leg. Seriously, how long are they going to keep dragging & humoring Christine into this? Her corn caught on fire on the grill, she can't see anything she's doing & heavily relies on her assistant, how the hell is she supposed to run a kitchen when they need help?? Then you had that frickin' wheezy diabetes-in-a-mystery-box Paula Deen which was just awful.

At least they won't have to worry about airbrushing all those tattoos off the cookbook cover now. Monti is a lock for Top 3. I've just concede to the fact. It's totally obvious everyone is protecting her. Frank, Felix & Monti - Top 3.

drudager

[9]Jul 17, 2012
    I wonder if they looked at Josh's record (2 wins, 1 highest nom, no losses) and went "oh crap, he wasn't one of the bad ones" and if they do bring someone back, he should be a lock. Including Ryan is a cheap ratings stunt, too. Wasn't Monti's sunny side up egg have raw egg white - on top of her pisspoor team manager performance? Seems kinda of shady to me.

MajLorne

[10]Jul 18, 2012
    I agree with you, if Christine makes top 3, the show is fixed. Also agreed on Monti, everyone (judges) does seem to be protecting her and she's the 2nd after Becky to be the target of the others because they don't buy into her being legit.
    Out of everyone (and if Josh makes it back), I want the top 2 to be Frank and Josh. Those 2 I have no issues with and I think they are also the best on their own right. I'm happy Frank is proving ppl wrong that he's a one trick pony for making just Italian dishes.

drudager

[11]Jul 23, 2012
    Shocking (not) Ryan makes it to the comeback final against Josh. Somebody please tell me how Stacey was picked over from Ryan's pork chop? - tho it was a cheap editing trick Ryan has like zero fans & everybody at MC hates him, and it seems like he was only brought on to create faux drama in an apparent 6-0 decision on the fruit tarts. Seriously - was a Stacey v Josh match-up too decent so that it had to be a total love v hate thing? Funny (not) how they teased us with Cowboy Mike with a great dessert, only to not even make it to the finals. As a side note - I don't root for any contestant if they happen to be near where I'm from - that's like being for divisions in sports because some teams from a selected region happen to be Best of the Worst. It makes no difference to me if it's East Coast, West Coast, Midwest or Southern - the best of the best should be the ones to compete in the playoffs. (Frank, New Yorker *cough cough cough*)

MajLorne

[12]Jul 23, 2012
    I agree, I had a feeling Josh was going to win it all and that this was a 'filler episode'. I also agree that even Mike or Stacy should've won over Ryan. Ryan is so full of himself especially with that stupid tagline he's got. I think they should've just done a 4 way challenge and picked the best one or 2. The only satisfaction I got was seeing everyone give Ryan the silent treatment or curse/flip him off. That said, had it been 2 winners, tomorrow could've been, at least, a double elimination challenge. I think Stacy would've been good enough to come back. David really needs to go weeks ago. I don't care how bad a person can't use a pizza stone or had raw food, if a person's dish was thrown in the trash, he should've been gone.

drudager

[13]Jul 24, 2012
    I think the food in the trash thing is a shock value move used by Joe. As Ramsay said, every chef has a bad day once in a while. Ryan was too cocky for his own good but the contestants came off as jerks themselves too - especially Monti, Frank & David. There's also way too many double standards in this show; like Joe says "respect your fellow contestants" and yet they allow taunting towards Ryan. Too much phoniness going on created just for TV.

MajLorne

[14]Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah that's true, but kicking out Mike instead? Shock or not, I just can't accept how David's been safe for so long..

I was kinda surprised Frank joined in as Monti and David were the ones with some bad history with Ryan. Though Ryan is an a-hole, I don't care how much respect a person has to show to others, I am a firm believer of respect being a 2 way street. "If you treat me with respect, I shall treat you with respect." Ryan going off as he does is arrogance plain and simple. Good bye and good riddance. Even Josh wasn't going to take it anymore when he was waiting for the results.

Agreed about the over the top drama nonsense... It'll depend on how the first few eps goes on season 4 (which i assume will happen) and who the contestants are, but I think I can only take so much of the built up crap. That's why I dvr this to skip the commercials and cut to the chase.

drudager

[15]Jul 24, 2012
    I saw on Twitter from the official MasterChef account 2 or 3 weeks ago that there will be a Season 4 - asked a Tweeter if they wanted to audition next season. Wow, what a 3-way disaster on desserts. It could have gone either way for Josh, Felix or David. All 3 looked terrible. They probably weren't going to send Josh home right away after bringing him back. I don't understand why David once again squeaks by despite his advantage. We will never know if David would had been better off without his Becky-given rice. Another double standard of all 3 judges being dismayed by helping out a contestant - so there's some magic given show number that you should stop helping your fellow contestants? Come on. At Top 7, it's still anyone's game at this point. You know what's funny, is Ryan's fruit tart would have kicked any of those worst 3's ass. David got a lot of screen time in this one & I thought he would be going home. He most definitely will go home next week.

MajLorne

[16]Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah, I mean on the fact that he had the big advantage with the selection, questions and examples, He should've been sent home. That was just embarrassing how he forgot the main ingredient, how the hell do you overlook that? If he is part of the team up for elimination and wins, then I'll know the fix is in to keep him in the top 5. I was disappointed Josh did so poorly, but with only 7 left, someone had to be bottom 3. I wonder, if the others did well and it was just 2 bad dishes, would the judges still call 3 or just the worst 2? Next week looks like hells kitchen light. Those challenges are just crazy...

Knightshade03

[17]Jul 25, 2012
    First, glad to see Josh back, didn't think he should have been sent home, yet. I still can't believe they sent Felix home! I was expecting her to be at least top 4. It should have been David; how do you forget the rice? The only person less consistent who stuck around too long was Tali. I think if Tali had walked up instead of Ryan, David would be gone by now. Not sure I would have given him rice given what's at stake. And as for the "do unto others..." I agree, when in a competition I expect "No quarter asked for, none given" especially at this point. Back when it was 20 of them, yeah, might have spared some rice but not at this level.

I think no matter what, they'd always call 3 but with 2 bad ones they'd just send 1 person back right away. Out of curiosity, I'd love to see a show where all the dishes were well done and no one had a "bad day." and see what would happen, without having to wait for the final 2. Overall though, I think at this point Christine has it in the bag. It's basically her's to lose. Top 4 I'm guessing Christine, Monti, Josh, and Becky. I'd like to see a showdown between either Christine and Monti or Christine and Josh. I'm guessing Christine and Monti with Christine for the win.

MajLorne

[18]Jul 25, 2012
    If everyone cooked well, I guess the next episode could be a double elimination. Yup, agreed about David. What no Frank in the top 4? I think so far he's on par with Becky and with that performance last night Josh slipped down the 3rd behind them. I dunno about Monti and Christine, those 2 would be a toss up for top 4. I will say that this year the remaining contestants are much stronger than the previous 2 seasons where there were some flaws with the final 4.

drudager

[19]Jul 25, 2012
    They don't have to send someone home every episode & could always do a double elimination either the next week or soon thereafter. They've done that on Hell's Kitchen & they know every week isn't going to be so clear cut.

drudager

[20]Jul 30, 2012
    No new episodes for two weeks. Thanks for nothing, Olympics.