MasterChef Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Top 5 Compete

amaryllis88

[1]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 20

This episode airs Tuesday, August 9 at 9 pm Eastern / 8 pm Central on FOX.

Discuss & Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[2]Aug 9, 2011
    • level: 13

Once again, one winning a challenge ends up being kryptonite / being an undoing rather than an advantage. Ben bit off way more than he could chew. Or maybe the dish was just beyond complicated. I don't think any of these final 5 are truly "MasterChef" worthy; nor was last season's winner. C'mon, the average North American home chef isn't going to be able to replicate $87 Gordon Ramsay dishes, they're just NOT.

I don't even know how to make an analogy on this, it's like high school freshmen taking Grad School classes or something. Tho I do think Christian will end up winning this thing, and the chefs are doing their best to knock him down a few pegs - which seems more like for TV purposes because most chefs are incredibly strict, arrogant and dare I say pompous. You already see the European riffs between Gordon & Joe.

GameWiz1000

[3]Aug 10, 2011
    • level: 25
    drudager wrote:

Once again, one winning a challenge ends up being kryptonite / being an undoing rather than an advantage. Ben bit off way more than he could chew. Or maybe the dish was just beyond complicated. I don't think any of these final 5 are truly "MasterChef" worthy; nor was last season's winner. C'mon, the average North American home chef isn't going to be able to replicate $87 Gordon Ramsay dishes, they're just NOT.

I don't even know how to make an analogy on this, it's like high school freshmen taking Grad School classes or something. Tho I do think Christian will end up winning this thing, and the chefs are doing their best to knock him down a few pegs - which seems more like for TV purposes because most chefs are incredibly strict, arrogant and dare I say pompous. You already see the European riffs between Gordon & Joe.

I think MasterChef is a lot about image. They're not going to make a hated figure like Christian win it all. Someone pretty and likable, like Jennifer will win, like last year. -----

Graham Elliot looks like a plus sized Abercrombie & Fitch model. Good fashion sense.
    Edited on 08/10/2011 6:59pm

MajLorne

[4]Aug 11, 2011
    • level: 21
    I was disappointed Ben lost, he had some really good stuff in the past, but never could crack being at the top. He was very likeable and I was rooting for him to at least be top 3.
    Christian is an ass, he's worse than that guy Sharone? from last year. Suzy and Jen have both been pretty surprising in how well they've done so far. Adrian is pretty lucky he's even top 4 given how many times he's been in the bottom 3 for the eliminations.

So if I had to pick who I'd like to win, it'd be Jen and then Suzy because they've proven themselves this far into the contest. As I said before Adrian is lucky to even be there and Christian is just so full of himself. I dispise Christian so much that, if he should win, I'm not even going to watch season 3 out of protest.
    =
    going back a few shows ago, I'm happy Christine is gone. Almost every other word she said was [bleep]. And she kisses her kid with that mouth? j/k, lol.

drudager

[5]Aug 11, 2011
    GameWiz1000 wrote:
    I think MasterChef is a lot about image. They're not going to make a hated figure like Christian win it all. Someone pretty and likable, like Jennifer will win, like last year.

If it's all about image instead of substance, then it's already a lost cause. I thought last year's winner was total b.s. - you don't drop half of your stuff on the floor or win with just fried chicken. If they care more about selling cookbooks & cookware then all credibility has been lost. $250,000 is an awful lot of money just to drop just on a publicity stunt (unless that's standard in the advertising industry).

drudager

[6]Aug 11, 2011

MajLorne wrote:
    going back a few shows ago, I'm happy Christine is gone. Almost every other word she said was [bleep]. And she kisses her kid with that mouth? j/k, lol.
    Actually I found Christine to be easy on the eyes She totally felt like a rough-edged underdog so I was rooting for her. She had that hot chick / sailor mouth thing going on with a fondness for booze which felt like an American throwback. Divorced but I'm sure she'll get a ton of guys knocking down on her doorstep. Christine was hilarious in a sense of like "Oh [bleep bleep bleep]! Not now, Mommy needs her wine!" lol

Edited on 08/11/2011 7:45am

MajLorne

[7]Aug 12, 2011
    LMFAO! Very good point! Then again she did 'scream' "unstable". I was wondering how much longer everyone on the set was willing to put up with her.

drudager wrote:

If it's all about image instead of substance, then it's already a lost cause. I thought last year's winner was total b.s. - you don't drop half of your stuff on the floor or win with just fried chicken. If they care more about selling cookbooks & cookware then all credibility has been lost. $250,000 is an awful lot of money just to drop just on a publicity stunt (unless that's standard in the advertising industry).
    I agree, I think David [IIRC, i'm bad with names] should've won. 7min to cook a chicken? Either she had the biggest break ever or the show is fixed, i find it hard to believe she won based on that. Her specialty was more with pastery. David seemed like a better chef on most other stuff. He got the best score among those food critics and she had the 2nd lowest.

drudager

[8]Aug 15, 2011
    Well the producer's potential worst nightmare (on a marketing standpoint) is in the Top 3. I forgot about Christian and his drug past & custody battles. Who knows, maybe that junkyard dog may be more common and appealing to people rather than a pretty face or nice guy. Tho not really. I wouldn't put Christian's face on a cookbook cover without at least a shave & haircut.

amaryllis88

[9]Aug 24, 2011
    • level: 20
    Currently working on the summary & episode recap for this episode.

MajLorne

[10]Aug 28, 2011
    Yeah I know i'm late, but i have to comment about this [since i had no internet access at all where I was for some time]. First on the top 3: I was so happy when they revealed Jen's experience with mushrooms and how it backfired on Christian. I was a bit worried when it was Jen vs Christian for the final 2, but glad for Jen that she won and got her revenge on him.

Top 2: I lost respect for Ben for his continued butt kissing of Adrien. No one other than lol! yeah Christine with the 'my b-tch' comment supported Jen. I would say Jen is either really good or really lucky with that quail dish. All I can say is it is better than last year with that 7min chicken though. Adrien's inconsistency doomed him. I had a feeling he wasn't going to have either a nice presentable dish or good tasting meal. Jen was lucky her 2nd dish put her at the top, I don't understand how a fruit dish for desert was going to cut it [pardon the pun].

So I'm very satisfied with how season 2 ended. Jen had a rocky start, but she finished strong and she totally deserved to win.