MasterChef Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Winner Revealed

  • Avatar of amaryllis88

    amaryllis88

    [1]Aug 15, 2011
    • member since: 10/01/08
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 2,516

    Welcome to the second season finale of MasterChef! This episode airs Tuesday, August 16, at 9 pm Eastern / 8 pm Central on FOX.


    Discuss & Enjoy!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [2]Aug 15, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    Ah, a Top 3 and then a finale for 2 hours tomorrow night.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [3]Aug 16, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282

    Of course. Yell


    #1 was pretty obvious. #2 - not so much. Undercooked pasta, anyone? No seasonings? Allowed.



    "We got cookbooks and cookware to sell! Make this happen!! Don't let the douche win it! Don't let the douche in the Finals!"

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [4]Aug 16, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282

    I knew once they brought in a kid to cheer Aunt Jennifer on, it was over. Just like on Hell's Kitchen, you don't bring in kids to have them scream in horror when their adult relative loses. Yeah I know they have no idea how it will end up, but if it's even remotely close, the favorite is in. And I've been scratching my head a few times over these finales.

    Well congratulations, MasterChef. You got another pretty face to sell cookbooks on the franchise because that's what sells in America: image & a backstory. Adrien was about as dull as butter knife personality-wise. I love how the judges describe all their feelings on the dishes, but we never hear their final reasonings.

    Oh, and the cue to 18-year old Max sitting right in the middle of the background right after the announcement? Mega-douche production move. He was obviously the most delusional of them all, but to bring back everyone & rub it in their/his face(s), that's just creating faux triumph drama.

    This is why you can't Americanize foreign ideas. It just turns to mush. We have our own stupid way of pandering things and fairy tale endings. Americans don't like to be disappointed when the good [one] loses.

    Edited on 08/16/2011 7:18pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Random862

    Random862

    [5]Aug 16, 2011
    • member since: 11/30/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 830
    I'm so glad that ego-maniac Christian didn't win! He should have been sent home long ago based purely on his personality alone.

    I felt from several episodes ago that Jennifer was going to be the one to beat. She had some bad days, but she came back strong.

    Adrian? I found him very forgetable and each episode I couldn't believe he was still there becauase I really couldn't remember anything he had done in previous episodes that wowed the judges enough to keep him.

    I think the right person was chosen as the winner. She showed amazing technique. She took risks and mostly succeeded. She has a great deal of skill in cooking, and a wonderful personality to act as a representative of MasterChef.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of frontman19

    frontman19

    [6]Aug 17, 2011
    • member since: 03/09/10
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,055

    God Dammit I really didn't want Jennifer to win, every time she opened her mouth I wanted to punch a wall. I didn't even think her food was all that special. It wasn't bright, it wasn't bold, it wasn't interesting. I think it's a shame that someone who plated so beautifully, brought out so much flavor in his dishes and cooked with so much heart lost out to the boring, irritating, absolutely restaurant drone Jennifer, sorely disappointed, very sorely disappointed.



    That said they did cook their hearts out and I commend them both for their cooking and all they learned over the past few months, I just think the judges made the wrong decision. As Gordon Ramsey would say "what a shame."


    @drudager I agree 100%, overall Christian got robbed, he was by far and a way the most talented of all the chefs in the final 3, but since he was portrayed on the show as so arrogant, the producers just couldn't allow him to win. However to be honest I found Jennifer to be just as arrogant if not more so. Not to mention she showed no class. If someone needs flour be a sport, show gamesmanship and lend him some flour. Don't just sit back and go haha karma is a bitch you arrogant asshole. That's not class, that's not being above him, that's right at his level or even lower. What a disgrace.

    Edited on 08/17/2011 11:33am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [7]Aug 17, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    I guess I wasn't the only one who thought Jennifer came off as arrogant, and she turned into monster in the finale. She did her share of trashing Christian as well, and I too thought Christian had more raw talent than she did. She just got lucky and how in the hell did Ramsay let Jennifer get away with that piece (I forget the name) of rubbery scallop she left on her appetizers plate? No true "master chef" would do such a thing. Also she played it safe (totally knows Ramsay's love of seared scallops) and she did her share of pandering to Ramsay. I also think the judges went out of their way to pick on Adrien's dishes. I also noticed on both episodes, they played that short music "sign of death/doom" ditty during Christian & Adrien's camera time about midway into the episodes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [8]Aug 17, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    Ratings were apparently very good for the show.

    #3, 6.54 million views, adults 18-49: 2.6, #1, 7 million viewers #4; adults 18-49: 2.8, #1, according to the futoncritic.com
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [9]Aug 17, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    Random862 wrote:
    I'm so glad that ego-maniac Christian didn't win! He should have been sent home long ago based purely on his personality alone.


    It's not a personality contest, it's a cooking contest. Remember he did get threatened by Joe to shape up & for the most part, he did. There is the possibility that the producers told Christian to dial up the douchebag personality, and I read apparently that some of these contestant's backstories were hyped up; per Los Angeles Times.

    The more I think about this season in retrospect, the more I think what a carefully orchestrated marketing campaign it was. It seemed like "The Jennifer Season" from Day 1.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of amaryllis88

    amaryllis88

    [10]Aug 17, 2011
    • member since: 10/01/08
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 2,516
    drudager wrote:
    She just got lucky and how in the hell did Ramsay let Jennifer get away with that piece (I forget the name) of rubbery scallop she left on her appetizers plate?


    I think it's called the "abductor," it's the piece that attaches the scallop to its shell. That sounds like it would taste gross!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [11]Sep 2, 2011
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,464

    drudager:


    drudager wrote:


    "I knew once they brought in a kid to cheer Aunt Jennifer on, it was over. Just like on Hell's Kitchen, you don't bring in kids to have them scream in horror when their adult relative loses. Yeah I know they have no idea how it will end up, but if it's even remotely close, the favorite is in. And I've been scratching my head a few times over these finales.

    Well congratulations, MasterChef. You got another pretty face to sell cookbooks on the franchise because that's what sells in America: image & a backstory. Adrien was about as dull as butter knife personality-wise. I love how the judges describe all their feelings on the dishes, but we never hear their final reasonings.

    Oh, and the cue to 18-year old Max sitting right in the middle of the background right after the announcement? Mega-douche production move. He was obviously the most delusional of them all, but to bring back everyone & rub it in their/his face(s), that's just creating faux triumph drama.

    This is why you can't Americanize foreign ideas. It just turns to mush. We have our own stupid way of pandering things and fairy tale endings. Americans don't like to be disappointed when the good [one] loses."


    =


    You know, having finally getting BBC America from my local cable distributor and seeing some of their shows... You make a very valid point. The drama is over done and it's as if they can't trust the audience to just 'watch' for what it is. America just can't have a 'non-happy ending'. Look at blade runner when it first 'aired', that 'happy ending' was forced on it. The director's cut with the ambiguous end was much better and fit the movie the way it should've been shown.


    Though, I admit of the final 3, I think Jen deserved to win as she wasn't an a$s like Christian is and was a better cook than Adrian who was inconsistant and really mediocre, imo.

    Edited on 09/02/2011 12:03am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.