MasterChef

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 29, 2010 In Season

neomichel

MasterChef Fan Reviews (92)

7.1
  • I'm done watching Gordon Ramsay

Claudia is the MexicanChef NOT Masterchef . She's not even in the same league as Derrick. What a shame. They lost a viewer forever with this disgusting and shameful pick of Claudia over Derrick.
  • Derrick was screwed over

Derrick: highly original and visionary throughout the entire season, great leadership skills, put recipes together that even other professional chefs were amazed by, most people (even great cooks) could not replicate his recipes, stood up well under pressure, did an extraordinary job in the finale creating highly original dishes I'd never seen done that way and put unusual flavors together that worked, took big risks that worked, especially in the finale, created dishes from a wide variety of cuisines. When the winner was to be announced, he actually looked like he wasn't sure who might win. Rested only on his skills as a chef to win.

Claudia: cooked Mexican food 98% of the time, unoriginal (any half decent cook can make good Mexican food), didn't handle pressure well most of the time, showed poor leadership skills, did "one trick pony" Mexican dishes and pretty much stayed in her safe zone, while previous season chefs told a girl from India that she had to stop being one dimensional and have a wider level of culinary skills than just Indian food and create dishes for other cuisines. Before the name of the winner was announced, stood with a big smile on her face without a hint of worry that she might not win. Played heavy on the "poor single mother" bit and yelled out "I'm the first LATINA Masterchef!"

This is what the differences was in this season. In the past, it was someone like Derrick who would have been chosen. This year, someone who was good in a certain style of cooking would not have won. In the past, three remaining chefs would have competed, then one was sent home. This year, one (Derrick) was chosen, then Steven had to compete again against Claudia to see which of them would compete with Derrick. Never done before. Of course, Steven was also screwed over, but at least Ramsay told him he would make his dream come true by financing his restaurant. Derrick got no such promise. What else was different this year? What's her name, of whom I've never heard. She told Claudia when to take out her cake in the season and helped her when she shouldn't have. She seems very biased toward women, a cheater, and she seems to have Gordon and Elliot by the groin.

I have always watched Masterchef, as it has been one of my favorite shows. I will not tune in anymore. Why? Because this show has taken a sharp turn to political correctness. Like anything PC, it is now utterly predictable. It's bad enough that Claudia won, but for Derrick to not be offered an opportunity to be helped having his own restaurant is a double injustice. Oh, and I am a woman, so don't accuse me of misogyny.
  • TOP THREE: NICK, DERRICK, AND STEPHEN

Nick should have won the Cake contest. His cake looked beautiful without anyone coming to his aid. Claudia's cake looked like a train wreck and Christina was assisting her. When Christina made the comment something was in Nicks cake, it became obvious the outcome was rigged. I don't want to watch cakes being baked and don't care for Christina. Where is Joe??? FOX should really investigate this.
  • REALLY?????Claudia?????

The final episode of MasterChef was disheartening to say the least. Although we could not taste Derrick's food, the judges did not have one negative thing to say about it and it looked beautiful, leading us to believe he was clearly the winner. Yet Claudia wins? Stephen is offered a food partnership with Gordon Ramsey and Derrick gets a pat on the back good job. I am totally done with this show, what a shame for Derrick obviously the better and stronger competitor throughout the whole series! Congratulations Derrick you were clearly the real winner in my books!
  • What the heck were you thinking?

Where in the world did you all think that Claudia was a better chef than Derek, have you lost your minds? During the whole competition Derek proved he was a better chef and had the leadership. At the final night he out did Claudia every way possible. When Gordon called out Claudia's name as the winner I was floored. But then again I kinda expected it, I think you played on the fact she was Mexican and a woman, I think you wanted to show that a minority could win. What a joke, being from Oklahoma and Texas let me assure you that any little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant serves the same food she did, but then again you judges are not use to little hole in the walls, you are just use to fine dining and can't think outside your comfort zone. Shame on all of you, I loved this show, but I will not be watching it anymore after the way you all cheated Derek out of the win. Did it occur to the three of you that maybe, just maybe Derek too was trying to better his life, some people don't discuss their private lives on national television. Oh yes Claudia wanted to start a life for her daughter, her family and herself so let's all pile to America and do it, let's all leave Mexico come to America with an attitude of "I'm Mexican, and I want to take everything America has because I'm entitled to it". Like I said I will not be watching your show anymore. If Joe had been there maybe things would have been different.
  • big mistake

Why is there so much favoritism to Shelley, the worst cook and makes soooo many mistakes. Is this Masterchef contest fixed? Sara should not have been eliminated when Shelley made such a horrible dish last night that Gordon couldn't even try it . This appears to be favoritism for someone with a big sob story instead of a cooking contest.

Sara also said the truth, the best cook is DERRICK!!!
  • Change the channel

In the past I have loved this show but I change the channel and watch ANYTHING else. The judges display despicable manners, horrible language but most of all take away potential growth of cooks perusing a career in the culinary field. If you want entertainment watch Masterchef Austrailia - those judges have class!
  • Rigged

OK so two seasons ago a blind girl against all odds wins the show to win the hearts of America, last season a young Italian man who wasn't even good enough to make the previous season wins a spot on the show only to struggle and seemingly fail only to come from behind and win it all... this season a girl who was forced to strip to make money (because there were no other ways to make money) went from the lowest of lows (in her mind anyway) to rise above it all and prove to America that even a striper can cook... do the contestants get a script in advance or do the judges keep it to themselves... but they must get the script... Lesley on the eve of making the final two mixes up SALT and SUGAR... really, he couldn't tell the two containers apart.
  • Disappointed with MasterChef and Courtney winning

Unfortunately, I am completely turned off forever by MasterChef because Courtney won. I have watched every MasterChef show and loved the show. I have never written a review like this but I just saw the final episode and Courtney is completely fake, not sure if it's her make up, high heels, voice but she was absolutely judged differently than the other contestants - Joe's critiques in particular bothered me. Her food seemed average in most challenges. The whole show seemed staged this season, like Courtney was the chosen winner from the beginning and it makes me sad. Fox and Masterchef has lost a fan. . if Elizabeth writes a cook book, I will buy it!

• Joe was Smitten by a Fake

I am never watching Master Chef again. Joe was SO beyond Smitten with Courtney that I feel the challenges were guided by her strengths. The 3 cake challenge was right up her alley and Courtney's fate was decided from the beginning. Can she cook? Sure, but she was not as consistent as many of the chefs and she was so fake with her smiles and things she said. She pretends to be from some other 1950's housewife mentality. She lives in Philly but NOT in the real world. This show is fake and I wont watch again
  • Not a good show

I find this show painful to watch. This show is based on the amazing Australian Masterchef. If you want to see amazing amateur cooks that is the show to watrch. It celebrates amazing cooks with a true passion for food. I really don't like the contrived drama that is so pronounced in this show. It's OK for Hell's Kitchen, but the insults and humiliation that they bestow upon these people is outrageous. These are not fantastic cooks, they are good cooks with huge egos who are willing to suffer the insults to be on TV. On a recent episode of the AU show, the pressure test was to replicate a chefs particular signature dish without tasting or seeing the dish, based only upon a food critics review of the dish. To see the dish Google Masterchef AU and look for food art week 10. The dish was Town Mouse and there are 44 separate elements in the dish.
  • No surprise

I have been following Master Chef all the way from the beginning. It is a great show even if there is a lil too much drama sometimes. Although it is an awesome series one thing bothers me that Fox is not willing to acknowledge. Whenever someone wins the mystery box challenge will be appointed a captain in the team challenge. In the preview of the episode they show parts from the team challenge and also the elimination challenge afterwards which is very WRONG coz it gives away the surprise !!!! Lets say they show Leslie and Daniel in the elimination challenge preview so if they are both in the blue team it is obvious that the red team won.... hope this will change because it is very bad

Drake
  • Judges sell out integrity for second year in a row.

Did not watch finals due to the fact that the show has sold out for political correctness for the second year in the row. I hope fox got what they wanted because your chefs judges have no integrity and they have become jokes.
  • judges favoritism has lost my support- need blind tasting

I have watched every single season faithfully & now I am no longer watching. James was a WAY better cook, when it came to flavor & sauces & even technical ability all around better than both Natasha and Jesse (Natasha with raw fish, and conveniently does next to nothing in EVERY group challenge, she just plates pretty but doesn't cook as good as the others and Jesse who hardly has to ever cook because the judges favor her & when she cooked that last chicken dish with corn really! She should've gone home), too bad James doesn't have boobs & lipstick or he'd had made it through to the end!

It is clear that the judges are only favoring Jesse & Natasha because they think the viewers want to watch them. Guess what? People watch cooking shows for the cooking! For talent, like James, Lucca & Jordan (whos gone now) had. Not for the bimbos, if we wanted to watch bimbos we'd watch other shows (2&1/2 men etc). NOW THEY NEED BLIND TASTING so the TRUE best cook can win!!!!!! I also think its unfair that Jesse came from cooking on cruise ships, how is that a HOME COOK? I feel the judges right away showed favoritism for Natasha & jesse, even when their food sucked, they hardly said anything. Chrissy may be rude & arrogant like they are, but at LEAST she can cook, she has proved it again & again in pressure tests. Her molten cake was cooked better than Jesses & I BET the flavor of all 3 of her desserts was better.

I agree with cathysmith980&I agree entirely with mkdoyen and christineRG "Playing favorites with the so called pretty girls is beyond appalling. How pathetic for them and how disappointing for not only the audience, but those other contestants trying so hard. I will blast this all over every social media network out there to make sure nobody I know watches this show ever. Way to go Fox... lose good followers because of your unfair games. She has had to cook 25% fewer dishes than most everyone else.

Chrissy James & Lucca should've been in top 3 this show is not a cooking show anymore, its a beauty contest! Chrissy has the pallet she has the flavor, and ya her personality sucks, but probably because she can feel how the other two girls are being favored & it makes her angry. Brea was a better cook than both Jesse & Natasha too, but the judges want to choose who will win!

IM SO DISAPPOINTED! Either bring blind tasting to this show so it is FAIR or lose all your viewers you have been warned! (ps im skinny & pretty too, so im not hating on the girls for their looks, if they were better cooks thatd be fine if they won, but in all honesty it has been proven that they are good cooks, but NOT the best of the ones that they have surpassed in this show only due to favoritism). SO SAD SO DISAPPOINTED what a way to ruin one of my favorite shows

YOU HAVE LOST THIS VIEWER until you bring blind tasting because judges obviously favor here based on appearances & what they believe will bring ratings.
  • Bad judge call

Ya'll sent James home. Really after Natasha served raw fish to her table and Paula Deen told the Judges she did. I guess that part didn't count. James is a hell of a cook and he wasn't evil like some of the others. (Jesse) she needs to go home. I was really hoping he would win it.
  • NEVER WATCHING AGAIN

My daughters were watching last night's episode and were just as disappointed as I was. The BULLY needs to go. Wrong message being sent. You have lost 3 viewers.
  • Criminal waste!

Just watched the first portion of the most recent Master Chef and I am appalled at the waste of food! You should be ashamed when there is so much poverty in the US and the world.
  • Disgusted with MasterChef

I have been faithfully watching MasterChef since it first aired a few years ago. This season I'm absolutely appauled with all 3 of the judges. Watching them play favorites on Natasha and Jesse make me absolutely sick to my stomach. With each challenge they let them get off for free and let them slide with barely any comments. They treat other more plain girls like Bri for example like dirt! She received the worst prize for winning the mystery box challenge and with that they kicked her when they let her know even though Krissy hates her she had to be with her. What a great gift! They have let the contestants judge each other and make decisions on whether they should stay or go. I will never watch this show again. Each show has made me more and more disgusted with these men and the writers of this show. Playing favorites with the so called pretty girls is beyond appauling. How pathetic for them and how disappointing for not only the audience, but those other contestants trying so hard. I will blast this all over every social media network out there to make sure nobody I know watches this show ever. Way to go Fox... lose good followers because of your unfair games.
  • Engineered to eliminate Bri?

Last night Bri won the mystery box. Her prize? Team captain and pick first. After she picked her dream team, Gordon Ramsey announces (after Krissi tells the worl she hates Bri) surpirse! captains switch teams. Ramsey fav Natasha actually wins by getting the stronger team.

After Bri's replacement team loses, Ramsey (who calls Bri "Br-eye") then gives Natasha's team (first time ever) control over which losing team member doesn't have to cook the pressure test.

How many more ways could they engineer giving Bri the boot? She was unique, quirky and cute (unlike so many mean-spirited vicious reamining cooks). Done. Un-dvr-ed.

The show is now so much more about strategies and stupid reality games than who is actually the best home cook.
  • Lost this fan last night

It looks to me like they've already decided Jesse is IT and they will stop at nothing to make sure of it. Yes, she can cook. But she hasn't done even one pressure test. And when she did land on a losing team, they structured it so she didn't have to do it. Then last night they pretty much handed it to her in a way they've never handed it to anyone. She has had to cook 25% fewer dishes than most everyone else.

I've watched this show since it started and have planned my evening around it. No more. After the fish taco team non-challenge I shut it off. I will not watch this show again. If it's a competition then make it one. Jesse seems like a nice person and good cook, but the inequity turns my stomach and I won't support it with my viewership. They have lost a loyal viewer with their blatant favoritism.
  • The good mother

Initially a fan of Krissy, single mother works, trying hard. Now, not so much. She speaks of her son, doing it all for him. But when she speaks it is never to say anything nice. Most of her words have to be bleeped out. Tonight was just over the top. Bullying is a problem in schools & she brags about beating up other girls in school and wants to do it to another contestant? She is proud of it. What a sad, sad person. Shame she still feels that anger & hitting will solve all of her problems. More talented cooks have gone. She skims by, does poorly (not her fault of course, the judges do not know what they are doing) Do they think this is good TV? Master Chef is off my viewing list until she goes. Mean time, I hope her son is not following in mama's foot steps & beating up other kids in school. Hope she is better in the work place. In the very slim possibility she were to win, title her cook book How to Beat & Intimidate Your Food Tasteless.
  • Joe needs to go

I love cooking competitions and especially MasterChef UK: Professionals, so I was excited to watch our American version. It is so sad to see contestants speak so terribly, plot against, and sabotage each other; and the expletive words are not what I am referring to when I say speak terribly. Judge Joe Bastianish is horrific; rude, brash, and condescending. Is he even a real chef? I don't know who he is, but his arrogance is atrocious. I really do like Chef Ramsey and Graham. Please go and watch MC UK: professionals and see what a real cooking competition looks like. It is so sad that ratings go up when Americans are rude and disgusting to each other but Fox could set things up to not be this way. Today's competition had the red team ahead 22-0 and then suddenly the blue team received ALL the other votes. That was so frustrating to watch. Please don't insult my intelligence that this was not set up.

Joe Who? Oh Yea, Lydia's son. Arrogance doesn't become him. You know what they say, "Pride goeth before a fall" Yea, Krissie is a little rough around the edges, but I would love to have her cook me a meal. What has Joe ever cooked? I love Graham, he's so darn cute, have watched him many a time on other shows and he is just SWEET. Joe gotta GO!!
  • The final four contestants draw lots to see which two contestants will battle head-to-head. In the semi-final round, each judge requests a special dish. In the final round, the chefs must prepare an appetizer, main dish and dessert.

I consider myself one of America's biggest fans of Gordon Ramsey. I even like the British-based cooking show "The F Word". Gordon is brilliant because he's authentic, passionate and raw. However, this series, especially the final episode, seems forced, inauthentic, politically correct and half-baked.

That said, there were a few nice moments, such as when the families arrive. This shtick is a Gordon Ramsey staple but it wasn't over-done.

The first half of this series was fairly compelling, but once the show got down to about a half a dozen, it started to become over-produced. Rather than see participants interacting with each other in a competitive way we began to get set pieces and a lot of exposition by the judges about how great the cooks are.

In the end, though, the ultimate reason this show doesn't work is two-fold. First of all, the judges don't seem to have chemistry, and when push comes to shove, Ramsey's stature overshadows the other two judges, one of whom is constantly sour and other constantly sweet.

Second reason the show doesn't work is because Ramsey is boring when he puts on his earnest face. He just comes off as overwrought and humorless.
  • race card won

1.5
    Both cooks had great comments on how their food was cooked. Derrick CLEARLY should have won based on his stepping out of the box and his creative presentations which he was consistent with. I have no choice but to believe that all Claudia's Latina boasting paid off. She played it safe with sticking to what was familiar to her and won. This was NOT a fair and very unfairly it was time for a Latino to win. are a big disappointment for allowing this!!!!
  • Won't be watching this anymore because clearly this is not "Master Chef"

1.5
    Claudia messed up so many times and her food was never presented like Derek's. He should've won but I guess that because he doesn't have any kids he doesn't deserve it, cuz I know that's why they gave it to her. This show isn't about talent anymore. Not wasting my time anymore. Think Joe should come back because yeah he was an asshole but at least he judged everyone the same.
  • Gordon, you should be ashamed!

I started out watching Master Chef Junior and really enjoyed the show. I then tried watching the regular show and was flabbergasted the first episode I viewed. Gordon Ramsay (who thinks he is "all that") not only blasted one of the contestants for the dish they prepared, but used the "F" word in berating them on the show. This turned out not to be a one- time occurrence. I will NEVER watch this show again. There is NO REASON whatsoever to treat contestants with such disrespect and vulgarity!!!
  • Disappointing

It was very clear that Derrick's final courses were so much more advanced & technical than Claudia's. Throughout the season, him and Stephen were the top two contenders. Nick shined as well. I was shocked when Claudia won with her Mexican 'home cooked meals'. That is a meal anyone could cook at home. If I was served a tamale, fish filet, and flan / stewed pear like that at a fine dining restaurant, I would think I just ordered from the 'dollar' menu. Every year i buy the cookbook. Not this year. I know how to cook Mexican food. Disappointed.
  • No longer a fan

Will no longer watch masterchef after this disasterous season! Where is Joe? Decided to give new judge a shot, horrible replacement! Masterchef should be ashamed of how blatant they were in keeping Claudia in the running, when the judge told her to take out her cake in an elimination round the writing was on the wall. CLAUDIA to win masterchef no matter what has to be done to make it happen, so sad! Nick, Stephen and Derrick by far the better chefs!! Just sorry i wasted my time watching this farce and will definately not be supporting the show in the future or the cookbook.
  • The last season

This will be my last season to the judge Christina is booted out.. I do not like what she brings to the show (which is nothing) The show is Master Chef, not Master Pastry Chef. Too much emphasis is placed in desserts this season After never missing a season, I fear this is my last. There are a lot of similar reviews regarding her and it's shame that the execs will never see them.
< 1 2 3 4