MasterChef

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 29, 2010 In Season

neomichel

MasterChef Fan Reviews (73)

• big mistake

Why is there so much favoritism to Shelley, the worst cook and makes soooo many mistakes. Is this Masterchef contest fixed? Sara should not have been eliminated when Shelley made such a horrible dish last night that Gordon couldn't even try it . This appears to be favoritism for someone with a big sob story instead of a cooking contest.

Sara also said the truth, the best cook is DERRICK!!!
  • Change the channel

In the past I have loved this show but I change the channel and watch ANYTHING else. The judges display despicable manners, horrible language but most of all take away potential growth of cooks perusing a career in the culinary field. If you want entertainment watch Masterchef Austrailia - those judges have class!
  • Rigged

OK so two seasons ago a blind girl against all odds wins the show to win the hearts of America, last season a young Italian man who wasn't even good enough to make the previous season wins a spot on the show only to struggle and seemingly fail only to come from behind and win it all... this season a girl who was forced to strip to make money (because there were no other ways to make money) went from the lowest of lows (in her mind anyway) to rise above it all and prove to America that even a striper can cook... do the contestants get a script in advance or do the judges keep it to themselves... but they must get the script... Lesley on the eve of making the final two mixes up SALT and SUGAR... really, he couldn't tell the two containers apart.
  • Disappointed with MasterChef and Courtney winning

Unfortunately, I am completely turned off forever by MasterChef because Courtney won. I have watched every MasterChef show and loved the show. I have never written a review like this but I just saw the final episode and Courtney is completely fake, not sure if it's her make up, high heels, voice but she was absolutely judged differently than the other contestants - Joe's critiques in particular bothered me. Her food seemed average in most challenges. The whole show seemed staged this season, like Courtney was the chosen winner from the beginning and it makes me sad. Fox and Masterchef has lost a fan. . if Elizabeth writes a cook book, I will buy it!

• Joe was Smitten by a Fake

I am never watching Master Chef again. Joe was SO beyond Smitten with Courtney that I feel the challenges were guided by her strengths. The 3 cake challenge was right up her alley and Courtney's fate was decided from the beginning. Can she cook? Sure, but she was not as consistent as many of the chefs and she was so fake with her smiles and things she said. She pretends to be from some other 1950's housewife mentality. She lives in Philly but NOT in the real world. This show is fake and I wont watch again
  • Not a good show

I find this show painful to watch. This show is based on the amazing Australian Masterchef. If you want to see amazing amateur cooks that is the show to watrch. It celebrates amazing cooks with a true passion for food. I really don't like the contrived drama that is so pronounced in this show. It's OK for Hell's Kitchen, but the insults and humiliation that they bestow upon these people is outrageous. These are not fantastic cooks, they are good cooks with huge egos who are willing to suffer the insults to be on TV. On a recent episode of the AU show, the pressure test was to replicate a chefs particular signature dish without tasting or seeing the dish, based only upon a food critics review of the dish. To see the dish Google Masterchef AU and look for food art week 10. The dish was Town Mouse and there are 44 separate elements in the dish.
  • No surprise

I have been following Master Chef all the way from the beginning. It is a great show even if there is a lil too much drama sometimes. Although it is an awesome series one thing bothers me that Fox is not willing to acknowledge. Whenever someone wins the mystery box challenge will be appointed a captain in the team challenge. In the preview of the episode they show parts from the team challenge and also the elimination challenge afterwards which is very WRONG coz it gives away the surprise !!!! Lets say they show Leslie and Daniel in the elimination challenge preview so if they are both in the blue team it is obvious that the red team won.... hope this will change because it is very bad

Drake
  • Judges sell out integrity for second year in a row.

Did not watch finals due to the fact that the show has sold out for political correctness for the second year in the row. I hope fox got what they wanted because your chefs judges have no integrity and they have become jokes.
  • judges favoritism has lost my support- need blind tasting

I have watched every single season faithfully & now I am no longer watching. James was a WAY better cook, when it came to flavor & sauces & even technical ability all around better than both Natasha and Jesse (Natasha with raw fish, and conveniently does next to nothing in EVERY group challenge, she just plates pretty but doesn't cook as good as the others and Jesse who hardly has to ever cook because the judges favor her & when she cooked that last chicken dish with corn really! She should've gone home), too bad James doesn't have boobs & lipstick or he'd had made it through to the end!

It is clear that the judges are only favoring Jesse & Natasha because they think the viewers want to watch them. Guess what? People watch cooking shows for the cooking! For talent, like James, Lucca & Jordan (whos gone now) had. Not for the bimbos, if we wanted to watch bimbos we'd watch other shows (2&1/2 men etc). NOW THEY NEED BLIND TASTING so the TRUE best cook can win!!!!!! I also think its unfair that Jesse came from cooking on cruise ships, how is that a HOME COOK? I feel the judges right away showed favoritism for Natasha & jesse, even when their food sucked, they hardly said anything. Chrissy may be rude & arrogant like they are, but at LEAST she can cook, she has proved it again & again in pressure tests. Her molten cake was cooked better than Jesses & I BET the flavor of all 3 of her desserts was better.

I agree with cathysmith980&I agree entirely with mkdoyen and christineRG "Playing favorites with the so called pretty girls is beyond appalling. How pathetic for them and how disappointing for not only the audience, but those other contestants trying so hard. I will blast this all over every social media network out there to make sure nobody I know watches this show ever. Way to go Fox... lose good followers because of your unfair games. She has had to cook 25% fewer dishes than most everyone else.

Chrissy James & Lucca should've been in top 3 this show is not a cooking show anymore, its a beauty contest! Chrissy has the pallet she has the flavor, and ya her personality sucks, but probably because she can feel how the other two girls are being favored & it makes her angry. Brea was a better cook than both Jesse & Natasha too, but the judges want to choose who will win!

IM SO DISAPPOINTED! Either bring blind tasting to this show so it is FAIR or lose all your viewers you have been warned! (ps im skinny & pretty too, so im not hating on the girls for their looks, if they were better cooks thatd be fine if they won, but in all honesty it has been proven that they are good cooks, but NOT the best of the ones that they have surpassed in this show only due to favoritism). SO SAD SO DISAPPOINTED what a way to ruin one of my favorite shows

YOU HAVE LOST THIS VIEWER until you bring blind tasting because judges obviously favor here based on appearances & what they believe will bring ratings.
  • Bad judge call

Ya'll sent James home. Really after Natasha served raw fish to her table and Paula Deen told the Judges she did. I guess that part didn't count. James is a hell of a cook and he wasn't evil like some of the others. (Jesse) she needs to go home. I was really hoping he would win it.
  • NEVER WATCHING AGAIN

My daughters were watching last night's episode and were just as disappointed as I was. The BULLY needs to go. Wrong message being sent. You have lost 3 viewers.
  • Criminal waste!

Just watched the first portion of the most recent Master Chef and I am appalled at the waste of food! You should be ashamed when there is so much poverty in the US and the world.
  • Disgusted with MasterChef

I have been faithfully watching MasterChef since it first aired a few years ago. This season I'm absolutely appauled with all 3 of the judges. Watching them play favorites on Natasha and Jesse make me absolutely sick to my stomach. With each challenge they let them get off for free and let them slide with barely any comments. They treat other more plain girls like Bri for example like dirt! She received the worst prize for winning the mystery box challenge and with that they kicked her when they let her know even though Krissy hates her she had to be with her. What a great gift! They have let the contestants judge each other and make decisions on whether they should stay or go. I will never watch this show again. Each show has made me more and more disgusted with these men and the writers of this show. Playing favorites with the so called pretty girls is beyond appauling. How pathetic for them and how disappointing for not only the audience, but those other contestants trying so hard. I will blast this all over every social media network out there to make sure nobody I know watches this show ever. Way to go Fox... lose good followers because of your unfair games.
  • Engineered to eliminate Bri?

Last night Bri won the mystery box. Her prize? Team captain and pick first. After she picked her dream team, Gordon Ramsey announces (after Krissi tells the worl she hates Bri) surpirse! captains switch teams. Ramsey fav Natasha actually wins by getting the stronger team.

After Bri's replacement team loses, Ramsey (who calls Bri "Br-eye") then gives Natasha's team (first time ever) control over which losing team member doesn't have to cook the pressure test.

How many more ways could they engineer giving Bri the boot? She was unique, quirky and cute (unlike so many mean-spirited vicious reamining cooks). Done. Un-dvr-ed.

The show is now so much more about strategies and stupid reality games than who is actually the best home cook.
  • Lost this fan last night

It looks to me like they've already decided Jesse is IT and they will stop at nothing to make sure of it. Yes, she can cook. But she hasn't done even one pressure test. And when she did land on a losing team, they structured it so she didn't have to do it. Then last night they pretty much handed it to her in a way they've never handed it to anyone. She has had to cook 25% fewer dishes than most everyone else.

I've watched this show since it started and have planned my evening around it. No more. After the fish taco team non-challenge I shut it off. I will not watch this show again. If it's a competition then make it one. Jesse seems like a nice person and good cook, but the inequity turns my stomach and I won't support it with my viewership. They have lost a loyal viewer with their blatant favoritism.
  • The good mother

Initially a fan of Krissy, single mother works, trying hard. Now, not so much. She speaks of her son, doing it all for him. But when she speaks it is never to say anything nice. Most of her words have to be bleeped out. Tonight was just over the top. Bullying is a problem in schools & she brags about beating up other girls in school and wants to do it to another contestant? She is proud of it. What a sad, sad person. Shame she still feels that anger & hitting will solve all of her problems. More talented cooks have gone. She skims by, does poorly (not her fault of course, the judges do not know what they are doing) Do they think this is good TV? Master Chef is off my viewing list until she goes. Mean time, I hope her son is not following in mama's foot steps & beating up other kids in school. Hope she is better in the work place. In the very slim possibility she were to win, title her cook book How to Beat & Intimidate Your Food Tasteless.
  • Joe needs to go

I love cooking competitions and especially MasterChef UK: Professionals, so I was excited to watch our American version. It is so sad to see contestants speak so terribly, plot against, and sabotage each other; and the expletive words are not what I am referring to when I say speak terribly. Judge Joe Bastianish is horrific; rude, brash, and condescending. Is he even a real chef? I don't know who he is, but his arrogance is atrocious. I really do like Chef Ramsey and Graham. Please go and watch MC UK: professionals and see what a real cooking competition looks like. It is so sad that ratings go up when Americans are rude and disgusting to each other but Fox could set things up to not be this way. Today's competition had the red team ahead 22-0 and then suddenly the blue team received ALL the other votes. That was so frustrating to watch. Please don't insult my intelligence that this was not set up.

Joe Who? Oh Yea, Lydia's son. Arrogance doesn't become him. You know what they say, "Pride goeth before a fall" Yea, Krissie is a little rough around the edges, but I would love to have her cook me a meal. What has Joe ever cooked? I love Graham, he's so darn cute, have watched him many a time on other shows and he is just SWEET. Joe gotta GO!!
  • The final four contestants draw lots to see which two contestants will battle head-to-head. In the semi-final round, each judge requests a special dish. In the final round, the chefs must prepare an appetizer, main dish and dessert.

I consider myself one of America's biggest fans of Gordon Ramsey. I even like the British-based cooking show "The F Word". Gordon is brilliant because he's authentic, passionate and raw. However, this series, especially the final episode, seems forced, inauthentic, politically correct and half-baked.

That said, there were a few nice moments, such as when the families arrive. This shtick is a Gordon Ramsey staple but it wasn't over-done.

The first half of this series was fairly compelling, but once the show got down to about a half a dozen, it started to become over-produced. Rather than see participants interacting with each other in a competitive way we began to get set pieces and a lot of exposition by the judges about how great the cooks are.

In the end, though, the ultimate reason this show doesn't work is two-fold. First of all, the judges don't seem to have chemistry, and when push comes to shove, Ramsey's stature overshadows the other two judges, one of whom is constantly sour and other constantly sweet.

Second reason the show doesn't work is because Ramsey is boring when he puts on his earnest face. He just comes off as overwrought and humorless.
  • Just my opinion

I was disappointed in last night's show, "A Storm is Brewing". Tommy and Katrina should have gone head to head in an elimination round. Tommy should have stayed, and Katrina should have handed over her apron. Katrina was horrible throughout the team challenge, my jaw dropped over her so called "teamwork". I wouldn't allow anyone act like that in "my" kitchen. Her behavior was unacceptable; no one could cook or concentrate with her around.

Tommy should be brought back for a head to head cook off with Katrina, but I doubt the "Show" would consider doing this. I will miss Tommy. Go Derek (then Nick).

• Absolutely Disgusted

I'm starting to feel so angry every time I watch an episode of this season, yet my slim faith in this show keeps me tuning in. Partially because I have watched it since the beginning. I am going to give my full, honest opinion of the remaining contestants. If you don't like harsh opinions and honest truth I suggest you stop reading in case I hit a nerve in you.

1) Hethal - All she can make is fcking Indian food right? Yes, we get it Hethal. You are 'proud' to show your Indian heritage and that's all you are going to show us that you can make. She is only happy when she is hogging all of the attention and completely shuts down when she makes a mistake. This chick cannot take any form of criticism. It made me so sick when everyone fawned over her in the beginning and I had a bad idea about her from the start.

2) Stephan - Grow the hell up. I don't know about the rest of the viewers, but I certainly don't want to see a gray haired man with stupid thick glasses running around flaming everyone for no reason and shouting AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! at every turn. Show some respect to your competitors. You don't have to like them, but show some slightest bit of maturity please.

3) Katrina - I think that's what her name is. ***Spoiler alert*** Tommy went home. He was so easy going and fun. Katrina is a loud mouthed btch who yelled at him at every turn. Yes, Tommy might have been a little too easy going, but I can see he wanted to shoot his brains out twice every time Katrina started to run her fat mouth. If her mouth had a weight, it would weigh the same as her entire body. Like Hethal, stop. crying. PLEASE. If she is so insecure and her life is soooooo fcking sad, she shouldn't even be in this competition to begin with.

4) Claudia - Self righteous ahole. Enough said. Given the opportunity to save myself from elimination, I would. It's called a competition, deary. We don't need any speeches of enlightenment on you from this show.

5) Derek and Nick - Unfortunately since the others get so much attention on these shows, these two get rare moments to shine. I hope that one of these guys wins. If the show isn't fixed at all, please let one of them win. Derek is very talented but he rarely gets any private screen time for himself.
  • crissy sucks!!

2.5
    Why don't they just give the money to crissy and be done with it, when she is in the pressure test it's always something think I'll be watching any longer. Too much of the judges playing favorites.
  • Table Manners Do Matter

I have only watched Master Chef on 2-3 occasions but I need not watch any more see see how poorly we adults demonstrate "Incorrect Table Manners' to our children. In fact I am sure some adults would see this demonstralion of poor manners and think it was acceptable as well.

I am refering to the Judges, who may be well qualified in their professions however, having seen Finger Licking-Fork Shovelling-Waving in air of Forks and Knives plus Elbows on the table, I am astounded and my mother would turn in her grave.

How about, in addition to exhibiting great cooking skills, we preserve some traditional "Manners" for everyone to learn the correct way of doing things?
  • Lemons, please

Really tired of the arrogance. If you do a search in the internet for Marinara Sauce with lemon juice you will find many recipes - so, Bri you were not "wrong" for adding lemon juice to your sauce.

This show is so mean spirited they just give chefs a bad reputation.
  • In the end its all about ratings...

Christine is a great cook and this was proved but Josh is a great Chef. Is it called Master Cook or Master Chef? You know better Gorden Ransey.. Nuff said...
  • master chef finale

The wrong person is in this finale-Josh!!! He does not deserve to be here, he was kicked out once. As much as I love and follow Gordon Ramsey and his shows, I think this was the worst thing he's ever done, brining back a contestant that was booted. I feel this season of Master Chef was fixed and if Josh wins-this will be my last season of this show!
  • losing credibility

All Judges, Would you ever serve a walmart USDA choice strip or rib eye in one of your restaurants? They are both horrible. All Good Steak houses serve only USDA Prime the finest cuts of beef! That is why I would pay $50.+ for a steak. Not only are you pushing Walmart, but kichenaid or cuisonart. You all have your credability on the line!!. I have eaten at London in NYC and every meat is Prime Chef Ramsey. If you want to push products try infomercials!!!!
  • Getting More Fake by the Minute

3.5
    Master Chef has got to be one of my all-time favorite shows. However, this season managed to tick me off and made it almost unbearable to watch the last episode of the season five.

Let's face it, there are many fake components to Master Chef- because honestly what reality show out there isn't fake, but Joe brought a whole new level of scripting, favoritism, or whatever you would like to call it to the show. The show has had a few- but minor- falters in the past that I could easily shrug the shoulder to and ignore but season 5, on the other hand, has managed to fall on it's face from the moment the transparency of Joe's actions became so visible Gordon Ramsay could not ignore it. No, I am not denying that Courtney is a good chef, but she let the pressure get to her in the third round. Her dishes did not outshine Elizabeth's in any sort of way. Both were running a neck to neck race for they both had an equal share of flaws in their dishes; however, Elizabeth nailed her dessert spot on and Courtney made the fatal- almost amateur- mistake of adding salt to her cherry sauce. Both Grahm and Gordan hated the dish and were very logical with why the components did not work, but Joe scrambled for excuses and defended Courtney's dishes like a loyal, subservient puppy. He desperately came up with illogical, far-fetched excuses as to why the dish makes sense and only came up with 'it's a new idea and I think I could accept it'. There was a look of such desperation in his eyes and it is as if he knew himself that the dish sucked and that his efforts would not be enough to place Courney in first place. As the camera panned out, one could catch the puzzled, shocked, and disappointed face of Ramsay, who knew that Joe was pulling excuses out of his ass. Even from the very start, Joe had such favoritism towards Courtney one couldn't help but wonder if something had happened behind the scenes for such a hard shelled judge like Joe to become so smitten with this ex-stripper or that she so often appealed to Joe's high and valued Italian nature. Either way, Joe showed much favoritism to Courtney it was apparent to Ramsay and Grahm, who showed absolute disapproval and disappointment in the final round.

Reality shows all have a certain amount of scripting, but for it to go to the extreme of a judge so obsessed with one contestant that it is obvious to his fellow judges is too much. Usually they have good reasons as to why a contestant is chosen, but for season 5 it didn't have me sold. I'm smart enough to know that you have to have more than high heels, make-up, a cute voice and a smitten judge to be a true winner.

• Pungeant Oder

3.5
    The show is starting to "smell" like other reality shows. Where you create hostility between contestants. Putting in situations where you COMPOUND extra stress and difficult personalities together.

I liked the ore when you focused on skill, and build up people. Teach them where they were lacking. When the teams were falling apart, the hosts should have stepped in and showed them how it is done, not fan the flames. I find the hostility between the home cooks annoying...

• Redheaded Little Rich Girl..........

3.5
    The only difference between my sister and Jessie is that her hair is red instead of blond........

Spoiled little rich Southern girl. (Warner Robins, Ga. )

Jessie does not do the south proud and we will not say pridefully she is from Georgia...........
< 1 2 3