Masters of Horror

Chocolate

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Nov 25, 2005 on Showtime

5.8
  • Eating someone else's...

Chocolate was one of the better episodes in the series because it conveyed much emotions like Imprint. Henry Thomas was the best actor in the story where a recently divorced man begins to experience the sights, sounds and emotions of a beautiful Canadian woman whom he has never known until he search leads him to search for his mystery mate.

I like Mick Garris' stories and this was the best of them so far. It would be hard to imagine feeling everything that another woman feels especially since it always seem to happen at very inconvient times. This episode was great though maybe not as good as other episodes.
  • Just a rehash of an old movie.

This episode looks bad despite the excellent performance of Henry Thomas and Matt Frewer. The scenes were directed well and this story felt like a full story compared to the other master of horror episodes. But this one still falls flat on the plot. It looks like it came from an old movie and readapted for tv. The makers of this episode should have taken the genre to another level, yet they made it look cheap. Perhaps we can blame the low budget for this cheaply looking episode. They could have used the excellent actors to their advantage but they didn't write a script good enough to watch.
  • Body swappage

‘Chocolate’ is a little of an improvement in storylines but still doesn’t entire feel perfect, mostly because of the unnecessary use of nudity and some cheesy scenes that could have easily been cut out. The episode also seems to be going on till forever, but at least it doesn’t completely suck and leaves you with a shy- but yet a little satisfied feeling.

The episode is about a guy that can feel and hear and taste and even see everything a woman does, he begins by tasting her chocolate, then slowly begins to hear her champagne and eventually feel her having sex with another man, so statically he’s having sex with that other male as well.

The guy tells the cop this story and how he eventually turned out to kill the woman he loved. There is a whole bunch of this episode that felt unnecessary, for example meeting that girl that eventually leaves him, his kid and wife that only got two scenes and never developed or heard from again, and his crazy friend and the concert at first that didn’t really add anything to the storyline.

But the thing that makes this episode interesting is that it’s different from the rest, hardly even horror. The guy witnessed the woman he so fell inlove with killing another man, a man that tried to kill her, she stabs him in the stomach and cuts him open and feels the blood steaming down his arms. After that he stops having the visions but decides to look her up, she thinks he’s some crazy stalker until he tells her that he knows about the guy she murdered and the chocolate.

At the end she tries to kill him because she thinks he’s a spy but he ends up killing her for self defence. The whole body switching thing really makes this episode memorable, even though the script was pretty weak. ‘Chocolate’ is far from being a masterpiece but it is enjoyable if you open your mind and really pay attention.
  • Not nearly as sick as Jenifer but its a well plotted and well acted piece

Mick Garris isn't as well recognised as say Tobe Hooper or John Carpenter but Masters was hid idea. Anyway Chocolate is well plotted, in fact the basis of Chocolate's ability to scare you revolves around its strange hallucenegenic plot. Its totally bizarre, and cliched in places but I really enjoyed this episode (not only because it has a hot girl in it) the plot is what drives this episode, and its unexpected events give you exactly what you need to make you jump in fear. This is why I love Masters of horror, there's no holding back in trying to scare you (but that was Jenifer's failing, there were no limits) but with chocolate there are boundries but it can scare you well.
    This episode was very average. There was a lack of bloodshed. The pyschological element of the movie was also pretty weak with the connection between the main character and the canadian never seeming real or having many emotional ties.

The dialect also seemed stiltied and confused, it rarely flowed freely and meant that staying engaged in the storyline was hard.

The episode was watchable though, due to the need for a conclusion. This episode may have been better in a master of thrillers series.

The episode, overall, was okay but okay does not make masters of horror. With this and the third episode being less than my expectations I was worried when it came to watching furthur episodes.
  • This episode starts off as Jamie telling the police and blood pulling from his head. He starts telling a story of deceit and impossible events.

I have made this my second favorite episode of all time

after "Jenifer" of course. This is so surreal and

pivotal. I just have to give this episode a standing

ovation because this is so interesting. There isn't a single

boring part in this episode. Jamie tells her he understand

why she had to kill her boyfriend. She hits him because he

wanted her to be included in a threesome. He hits her and

knocks her unconscious. When she wakes up she kills him and

the police marks the case as an cold case. Because they

don't know who did it. She doesn't know that Jamie wants to

help her and think he is just trying to kill her. And

attemps to kill Jamie but is killed in the process. Then it

ends off as Jamie finishing up on telling the police the

story.
  • A change of pace for the series....

This episode of the series deals with a man named Jamie who suddenly experiences problems with his sight and hearing. He realizes that he is seeing, and experiencing, life through a young woman's life but with each new incident, Jamie is pulled into a world that is far more dark and disturbing than he anticipated.

For this reviewer, this episode was an interesting change from the episodes that preceded it as it relied more on suspense and mystery than horror and violence. The plot is fairly straight forward and allows a viewer to understand fairly quickly what is going on. The episode tends to be a bit slow paced at times though it does pick up when Jamie finally locates the woman through which he has been seeing and feeling things.

Overall, this reviewer would say this was not a bad episode in the Masters of Horror series though it might be a bit tame for some people's liking.
  • Mike Garris' non-horror entry to the Master's series.

Although a somewhat interesting story I thought with decent performances, it just didn't fit too much with what the other 4 episodes in this series have done so far. Hard to deny they were horror, this one is questionable. Really just more a thriller with bits of supernatural at the start, it makes me wonder what exactly has Garris done to be a "master of horror" anyway? I had to look him up when I first heard about this series. After watching this episode, I'm still wondering.

It's better than most of the slop on TV still, but I'm giving this one a 5/10. Lowest rated episode yet for me.
  • A steep drop in quality on this episode

0.4
    This is really bad. Henry tohmas has some skills, but he can\'t save this writing. This is like the previous review stated on the level of grade school plot development. Maybe the idea isn\'t that bad, but the execution on all levels except maybe henry\'s acting is total crap. Could\'ve been an interesting watch but totally misfires. I tried to make it through the episode but couldn\'t watch the last five minutes or so. I did not care in any way whatsoever about what was going to happen to the main character. The rest in the series have been from very decent to great. I\'ll keep watching the series but have to warn everyone that this episode belongs on the WB not on Masters of Horror.
  • Unbelievably lame.

1.8
    What can I say more than that, the writing is very childish, the characters so shallow. The storyline is comparable to a 3rd graders (sorry 3rd graders, I know that’s an insult). This is from someone that has written horror before? Bah, they probably did a favor and wrote their name on a script made by some producer’s nephew or some crap. IF, if, I say, this is actually made by these (dear god) “masters” of horror, he/she must be in a coma. Seriously though, it really has to be one of the worst things I have seen in many years. The only reason I didn’t give it a 0 is because it at least didn’t try and force a cause or political agenda down our throats like most of Hollywood does now.