Masters of Horror Forums

Showtime (ended 2007)

Official Discussion Thread - "The Screwfly Solution" (Spoilers)

diaboyos

[1]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 6
        Please discuss the episode "The Screwfly Solution" in this thread. These threads will
    appear each week to prevent topics repeating themselves on the forum.

Episode Summary

Deadly virus infects the nation, that turns men into psychotic killers
    who attack every woman they see. A housewife and her daugther try to
    survive this madness.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RockSiren

[2]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 7
    Not to say she "deserved it", but that daughter was really irritating, and sort of not bright considering her age.

justafan65

[3]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    If you read the short story, the daughter was "kept in the dark" as to what was going on. They were very protective and didn't want to scare her. She was also younger in the short story which would have made it a little more believable so if they were going to cast a teenager maybe they should have let her know a little more about what was going on. I thought it was a typical teenager to talk about her friends and the homecoming dance, as she kept trying to get her mom to tell her they weren't going back so she started talking about things to force her mom to admit they weren't going back. It was scary to think that even a father could turn on his own daughter, that's how powerful the disease is. But what happened to Alan after he killed his daughter. Did Ann get there and kill him? Overall I thought it was one of the better episodes of the season.

diaboyos

[4]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 6
    I agree the daughter was kind of an idiot.  I can  understand she was kept out of the loop on what was really going on, but what kind of an idiot daughter would steal the car when her mom goes out in the woods to use the bathroom or whatever she was doing, and just leave her in the middle of nowhere!  And they were driving for a little while for the mom to have walked back in like 2 minutes lol.  Maybe she cut through the woods I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.  It was a good story and plot, but when they introduced the aliens it lost me.  I liked it all except the last 10 minutes or so.  Still waiting on some good horror!!!

RockSiren

[5]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 7
    Well I was hoping that I wouldnt have to read the "short story".  I agree with Diaboyos on this one.
    Edited on 12/13/2006 7:08pm

csjlj

[6]Dec 14, 2006
    • level: 19
    I thought they did a decent job explaining that the daughter was somewhat protected from the truth. All the women in their town were bundled up and walking by the men fearfully, while she was shaking her ass in a short skirt. And when Alan called to warn his wife, he told her not to put her on the phone.

The alien's brain sample... seemed to me that when they panned out to show both aliens and the dogs, the alien threw the brain piece to the dogs as a snack.

And personally, I don't think horror needs to have a typical monster to fit the genre. Having half the population turn murderous towards the other half, loved ones killing loved ones - that's pretty horrific in my book.

I thought it was kind of obvious that aliens would be involved once we saw the shooting star make a turn. My only gripe was this: The wife now knows where the aliens are hanging out, and was able to get close enough to see them and retreat without being detected. Instead of slowly freezing or starving to death, don't you take one of those rifles or handguns and take a shot at them? Not saying she'd hit them, kill them, or resolve the killer men situation - but she should have tried! Or called the army and said there was a large group of women camping out at those coordinates, send bombers. Do something! Right???
    Edited on 12/14/2006 7:34pm

Helostwin

[7]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 18
    Best ep of the entire MoH series OMO, slightly edging out The V-Word. . But what is with all the HATE directed at teenagers on here? Not just here but on every scifi horror show that has a teenager in it! It's getting rediculous.