Masters of Horror Forums

Showtime (ended 2007)

Starting to get too political?

jboze3131

[1]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 5

Last season we had the rabidly anti-Bush HOMECOMING from Joe Dante...and the episode was just terrible, whether you like Bush or not.  This season, from the titles, looks as if it will get political again. I see an episode called Pro-life, which is about an anti-abortion father with his 3 gun toting sons out to "liberate" his daughter who is in an accident and takes refuge in an abortion clinic.  Could be wrong, but from the summary at Showtime's site, it sounds like it will veer into politics. 

The Screwfly Solution is based on a short story that I'm not actually sure is political or not, but is directed by Dante, so that gives me pause.  I'm about to read the short story itself, which I found here:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/sheldon/sheldon1.html 

I also see a movie called RIGHT TO DIE, which is about a conflicted husband whose wife is in a coma but technically alive- sounds like a take on Terri Shiavo to me with the premise changed a bit...the showtime website says about the film: "This topical horror story takes a supernatural stand on the right-to-life debate."

Then, there's the Washingtonians, which portrays George Washington as a sadistic cannibal and a band of washingtonians out to protect his secret at any cost. 

I'm in the middle of FAMILY right now, and for some reason the deranged loony is introduced with a trip through his house and a prominent picture of Dick Cheney on his shelf.  Maybe this is significant later in the film, but why do I have the feeling it's merely a cheap shot?  This is during a long shot through the entire house...right after the picture of Cheney, the camera pans right and you see a smaller framed photo of President Bush and his wife Laura. 

Finally,  I see the film PELTS directed by Argento, about a fur trader who kills animals in the pursuit of making the perfect coat to win over a woman and the supernatural pelts that turn violent and attack him for doing what he does. 

These are based on short stories mainly, but it seems that there's too much political stuff going on with the series that,  I think, should stick to horror and stay away from politics. 

Edited on 11/04/2006 2:08pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RockSiren

[3]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 7
    Homecoming was awful, and I live for zombie flix...also calling someone an "idiot" is really not cool man.

Jamescush

[4]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 9

malcovio wrote:
    First of all, Homecoming was great, political horror is a great idea, and you are an idiot.

Great comeback...for a first grader. Maybe next time you may want to intelligently debate him?

Or was that an attempt to?

RockSiren

[5]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    It was an attempt at something alright...what that was, I couldnt tell you.

reddawnchild

[6]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 8
    I was in the military and Homecoming was my favorite episode; it was hilarious. The best sci-fi and horror are often political in nature. Tales From the Crypt, The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits were loaded with social commentary. With the body count rising every day, you could say that Bush is a Master of Horror. 

max_planck736

[7]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 1
    homecoming was a good concept, i wish that MoH had better story and
    screenplay writers and directors in order to do the concept justice...

there was an episode of 'monsters' (the series from the 80's that came
    after 'tales from the darkside') that was very similar to homecoming,
    but which was done a lot better imo. it took place in viet nam, inside
    of a tunnel that some US soldiers chased a group of VC into, but then
    dead VC and civilians that the US killed started crawling out of the
    walls to kill the soldiers. too bad they didn't go after the root of
    the problem (the big businessmen and the politicians), that would have
    made more sense but would have been impossible to make work with the
    story, because you'll never find a businessman or a politician in
    combat, haha. bush and nixon really are masters of horror, along with
    ford, kissinger, carter, clinton, all the way back to the 'founding
    fathers'... If you research what they did, you'll find that they're all
    real monsters (madison was a major slave and plantation owner,
    washington was one of the richest people in the colonies, they wiped
    out millions of native americans, along with plenty of slaves and poor
    people) ... like the rich guy in "cigarette burns" said, "you don't get
    as much money as I have without burying a few bodies."

Orcuss

[8]Jan 20, 2007
    reddawnchild wrote:
    With the body count rising every day, you could say that Bush is a Master of Horror.

Amen to that brother.

Art imitates life. Given the horrific state of contemporary Western politics I'd say it's pretty understandable - not to mention laudable - that a backlash can be found amongst contemporary art and artists.

Orcuss

[9]Jan 20, 2007
    max_planck736 wrote:
    ...too bad they didn't go after the root of the problem (the big businessmen and the politicians)

It's not entirely relevant but that did make me think of:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464196/

RedErik

[10]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 4
    Bingo to MaxPlanck... I think the problem with MoH this season is that really good ideas have been twisted into political agendas for the directors and/or producers.  I love zombie movies, too, but politicizing it (for or against Bush) made it a yawner.  The stars, stripes and leprosy final shot made it a groaner (no pun intended).  Same goes for Carpenter's "Pro-Life".  Rosemary's Baby was about the devil gettin' it oooon, too, but at least it didn't become an abortion soap-box.  "Washingtonians" is a perfect example of how a director has spoiled what would otherwise be a good idea by politicizing it. 

takeomi

[11]Feb 3, 2007
    I did not find that the use of social themes was in any way politicizing, meaning I found no stance one way or another. I felt that the issues were simply being used as a convenient device to connect the fantasy world of the horror shorts with the real world within the viewers' minds.
    While many viewers could obviously take issue with it, I think they were(for the most part) well-intended. As for HOMECOMING, it's not the greatest episode but the satire of dead people tampering with votes was funny because of the dead people registered to vote. Ha ha. Everyone probably knows that, but the voting irregularities have little to do with Bush himself.

Perhaps politicization would be better termed as 'contemporization', meaning that keeping the stories more attuned to timeless issues and conflicts would mean that in ten or twenty years we can still look back and understand what the stories were all about. (remember the worst twilight zone ever - with george takai and the killer katana vs. the american redneck?)

yeoj7

[12]Feb 4, 2007
    don't diss homecoming or pro life. they were both well done.

yeoj7

[13]Feb 4, 2007
    a political episode would have to be the washingtonians.

number48

[14]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 5
    Homecoming was one of my favorite segments though I would have to agree with Orcuss on some of the issues around it. However, I liked it though I can see how it may be getting too political for the horrific taste. Then again, isn't horror an imitation of life in some of its most satirized nature? Experience supplies the information needed for the story and I can see the "experience" in this master work of Joe Dante.

ShumaGorath666

[16]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 15

I can comment on a few of these. Beware of Spoilers

Homecoming - Yeah horrible. Just plain bigoted, hypocritical, and ignorant. Rule #1 of good political satire: DO NOT TAKE SIDES! In all good political satire works, there are no party lines or anything of the sort, they just feature messages that the average sort of person can agree on (see Dave, Head of State, etc.). This one here is just so polarizing and offensive, essentially telling certain viewers that they are terrible people. Was it really neccesary to label the administration as Republican? Rule #2: be relevant. This episode might have had a good point...if it were made 40 years ago and the draft is still in effect. As it stands, now the answer to the dumb woman's question about why her son died is obvious: he enlisted and that's what happens. So into rule #3: use some common sense. If a solider enlists of their own free will, wouldn't they have been proud to serve and would continue the fight if resurrected, the whole Nathan Hale thing? If I were a solider allowed to come back as an undead, I would want to find the enemy soldier who killed me and return the favor. I could go on all day about how wrong this episode is.

The Washingtonians - Some people saw the ending dollar shot as a cheap blow, but I don't see it. All it means is (A) Washington is now disgraced and Mike succeeded in telling the world and (B) some things never change, Presidents still try to leave for themselves the best legacies they can. In other words, whoever was president at the time of the episode's making would appear on the dollar.

Family - I kinda thought the same at first but since they didn't really follow up on it, we're just overanalyzing. All it really does, since it appears with the neat furniture and other decor, is establish the house as seemingly belonging to a respectable, law-abiding person. Like that someone of that sort would be into politics. There's also the idea of values, which government figures usually represent and Harold seems to believe in strong family ones (well, his own version of them anyway).

Will see Screwfly and Pelts soon. Stay tuned!

ShumaGorath666

[17]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 15

reddawnchild wrote:
    I was in the military and Homecoming was my favorite episode; it was hilarious. The best sci-fi and horror are often political in nature. Tales From the Crypt, The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits were loaded with social commentary. With the body count rising every day, you could say that Bush is a Master of Horror.

What? Tales from the Crypt episodes were hardly political at all or had any overt social commentary. It's only there if you really, really look for it. Like Top Billing, which some people say shows the plight of the average working actor blah blah blah. Yeah OK, but that's not what the story is about. It's first and foremost a story of being careful what you wish for and reaping what you sow. You do bad things to other people, bad things will happen to you. And Bush as a Master of Horror? Please, he's got nothin the original GW lol. We'll have to see how soon his cannibal outing comes.

Helostwin

[18]Sep 14, 2010
    • level: 17
    Pro-Life, Homecoming and Washingtonians all have a far-left political bend.