Masters of Horror

Imprint

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Unknown on Showtime

• Will Make Your Skin Crawl

This is a must see for any die-hard horror fan. In just one hour, you will more unsettled by this film than if you watched 13 other films back to back. It has raised the bar to a new level of disturbing. There are very few films like this that will stay in your head for the next couple of days like this does. As far as the actual content, it combines the elements of torture, supernatural forces, and insanity. To say any more might take away the viewing pleasure, if that's what you want to call it.
  • Production Notes on this episode

Japanese director Takashi Miike was among the filmmakers chosen to create an episode for Masters of Horror. Considered to be a "deliberately and spectacularly transgressive director whose work is lionized by a substantial share of the young generation of Internet critics and horror film fans, while routinely rejected as repulsively sadistic by much of the mainstream media", Miike crafted "Imprint" based on a traditional Japanese story, "Bokkee Kyotee", by Shimako Iwai. He explained the reasons he chose the film: "It had a simplicity that I liked. Also, it had that kind of story I imagined the audience telling their friends after seeing the film. It's a story that could have been told before the horror genre existed -- it's more like a kaidan -- a traditional scary story."

It included graphic depictions of violence and aborted fetuses, but Miike believed he was staying within the boundaries of acceptability: "I thought that I was right up to the limit of what American television would tolerate. As I was making the film I kept checking to make sure that I wasn't going over the line, but I evidently misestimated."

After previewing the episode, Mick Garris, the series creator and executive producer, requested that it be edited to tone down the content, but, despite some changes being made, Showtime felt it was too disturbing to air on television. The episode, scheduled to air January 27, 2006, was canceled and became the only one of the series to remain unaired in the United States.
  • Imprinting your mind and soul...

Imprint is the best episode that I have seen so far of the entire Masters of Horror series. I was impressed and disgusted alike by the story of the afflicted American journalist returning to 18th century Japan to seek out the lovely baishunfu (Japanese prostitute) he promised to take away from that hellish land. What he finds is another woman afflicted by life and a stretched out side lip. She tells him the story of what happened to his beloved although the details are sketchy and she is a sort of unreliable narrator. What impacted me most about Imprint was how Takashi Miike was able to employ a number of emotions in his work-I mean that is what makes a great horror film. In my opinion, a horror movie is most effective if it conveys and delivers a great pallet of emotions to the audience aside from fear and disgust. Imprint delivered sorrow, pity, anger, disgust, fear and a sense of enlightenment. Watch the film and check if maybe you can see what I mean. Domo arigato, Miike-sama.
  • This episode just kept surprising me!

6.7
    This was a pretty good episode. Not great, but good. With all the changes about the flashbacks just when you thought you knew the truth, the truth was altered. Which is exactly how storytelling really is in life. In most movies when someone is telling a story it's the truth which is not how it is in real life. In real life, if someone's telling you a story it's probably at least a bit altered.

The gore was excellent! Even I was clinching! And I'm mostly use to it by now.

Excellent plotline and extremely well-written. The plot is about an American writer going to find his love, a Japanese prostitute, but instead he comes up empty handed. He does, however, run into a prostitute that claims to have been her friend. She tells him the story of Komomo (his love)'s last few months, with a few lies thrown into the mix.

If you want to see an episode that shows what "Masters of Horror" is really about plus some extra gore this episode is for you.
  • Not nearly as extreme as some of the stuff we've seen

I know that this episode is imfamously gruesome but to be totally honest I was more disgusted with Jenifer than with Imprint. Sure you've got the aborted foetuses being thrown everywhere and the girl getting pins shoved into her fingers and eyes, both of which are quite painful to watch but I didn't find it as hard as say watching a woman with a weird face maul a five year old child to death in a basement. Anyway, onto the episode itself, um...I quite liked it. The story is great, and well written, always keeps you guessing. And i like a story like that, detailed and fun to follow. Although I did find most of the actors/actresses voices annoying but that didn't really matter since the story was so great.
    Anyway, by the end of Imprint I was beginning to think "oh crap, I've gotta wait another year for season 2"
  • An American traveler is searching for his long lost love Kimomo, whom he promised he would return to so they could start a new life together in America. He ends up at a very strange brothel looking for her, and is told a disturbing tale about her death.

Absolutely ridiculous. Billy Drago was horrible--his acting was over the top and completely unbelievable. He was reduced to screaming hoarsely to communicate anguish and pain after finding out in the first fifteen minutes his beloved is dead (which he immediately seems to believe, with no questions asked). And the woman with the \"twin\" in the side of her head? Give me a break!! What a joke! The costumes, scenery, acting, torture scenes, and everything else were poorly done. I was very disappointed, especially after reading so many positive reviews from people who seemed to think this episode was remarkable. I do NOT recommend this to anyone.
  • This Masters of Horror episode is by Takashi Miiki - it involves a man\'s search for his lost love that he left behind years ago and the revelations of what happened to her when he finds someone that may have known what fate befell her.

This is probably my favourite horror \'film\' ever - you are likely to be shocked, sickened and in a word horrified by this film. It shows truly distressing scenes of torture, classic Japanese horror techniques and story telling and a constant winding story that will leave you off balance. It also has a great plot which will leave you thinking at the end of just what in your mind transpired. And that is the beauty of Imprint, the openess of the truth. Simply it delivers better than any other in the series by a mile.
  • Takashi Miike aims to shock and he delivers.....

I have seen lot of his movies so i was expecting very gross and bloody episode. But he managed to surprise me.
    I think its the first i actually had a hard time watching the TV, because some of the images were very gruesome.
    But in a typical Takashi fashion he gives us a litle story about lost love, revenge and surealistic behavior mixed with his usual bloody and gory style.
    overall I really like this episode, but I must say that Billy Drago is miscast as the lovesick american. Maybe its just because im used to see him play sleazy characters?
    its a good story, very well done and gives you a nice slap in the face ;)
  • Interesting, but should have found a different lead actor.

I must admit that I wasn't too impressed by this episode. It did have an interesting story line (which was described in another review), but the acting of Billy Drago was too over the top, and included a lot of whining and muttering. I'm not sure if this was the fault of the director or the actor, but Mr. Drago's performance was a large part of my disappointment. The grueling torture scenes, which by the way were very believable, were done very well, and to many viewers would make this a must-see, but the "freak" aspects of the ending of the story were a let-down and helped contribute to the episode's demise.
  • Shadrat says it all.

I have just viewed this with my 21 yr old son and he says it is the grossest thing he has seen,and like me ,he is a horror fiend.For movies it would be a great entry,but to be part of a TV series in this unkind climate,yes-it is pretty heavy,A1.
    Good on Brit Tv for leading the way again in broadcasting this..It is about time the viewers could view what they choose,not what is chosen for us.

MOH has displaced all my TV favorites and now sits in pride of place,the first DVD releases already reside in my collection..Roll on season 2,don't let us down.
    Cheers from New Zealand.
  • Prepare to wince at the torture scene and scratch your head at the ending...

Well, it\'s easy to see what gave the US TV stations the jitters in this episode - there\'s a torture scene that is stronger than anything else that I\'ve seen in this series. But on top of that there\'s some stuff involving abortion that probably helped them make their decision.
    The story itself is pretty good - and that\'s saying a lot for a series that\'s been very patchy on the story front at times. But like many other eps I found the story\'s ending unsatisfying.
    What this piece has in abundance is atmosphere; from the seedy whorehouse where the main action is set, to the idyllic exterior scenes that are offset by some truly horrible and gross goings-on.
    This is a tale-within-a-tale, as a US journalist on a quest to find his long-lost love finds a prostitute who claims to have known her.
    But the prostitute\'s story doesn\'t ring true - and it\'s clear that there\'s more to her than meets the eye...
    The performances are generally good, particularly the lead actress, but I thought the American was too over the top at times.
    All the cast speak English, and it would have been a bold move to have made this with subtitles. One or two of them seem to be having trouble with the language, and once or twice I had to rewind to understand what was being said through the thick accent.
    And I am having trouble understanding exactly what happened at the end - though I\'m sure others will suss it out.
    Overall, though, this is one of the best entries in the series, and it\'s certainly made me eager to seek out Takashi Miike\'s other work.
    If it\'s released on a disc with Haekel\'s Tale, then it\'ll be well worth the price.
    Thank you Bravo in the UK for having the guts to show this!