Masters of Horror

Jenifer

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Nov 18, 2005 on Showtime

7.7
  • When a horror can give you a hard-on, what more do you want. Jennifer can eat mine or my neighbours pet any day of the week.

When a horror can give you a hard-on, what more do you want?
    Jennifer can eat mine or my neighbours pet any day of the week.
    What are the people leaving bad reviews here even thinking? The whole Masters Of Horror series if effing great. Even if some are great & some are not so great,that's to be expected with any tv show series. BUT people leaving Jennifer average scores really need to rethink what they expect from a horror, let alone a horror tv series for horror fans. I mean, what horror fan wouldn't love Jennifer? A body to die for & a face that kills. And the only thing she has a thirst more for killing is sex. Honestly, Jennifer gave me a hard-on in more ways than one.
  • This sucks and not in the same way as Jenifer would...

2.5
    Jenifer was not one of my favorite episodes and in fact was the worst episode that I have seen in the entire series. I admire Dario Argento's works but I didn't really like this entry of his. I hated her and that didn't help much for any approval of this episode.

However, I also did find some good parts of this episode such as the talented acting of Steven Webber as Frank and Carrie Ann Flemming as the (depised yet bodily attractive) Jenifer. Despite all of the good acting, I didn't really like this episode that much though it apparently left a big imprint on others.
  • It's awful.

Steven Weber in a serious role, I got to see that. Just as soon as he meets Jennifer, the episode quickly goes down the toilet. nothing here happens significantly, there were a bunch of good characters introduced that are underdeveloped, the whole episode is a mess. i'm not sure what the makers of this episode were trying to show, it's so bad, I don't even care. Did they make this episode so people will not like it? It's got a flat storyline, it goes for an hour but it felt like it was 4, I just didn't find this episode that interesting.
  • Holy crap. Literally.

6.7
    I'm actually disappointed in Dario Argento's work in this one. His directing skills pop up here and there during the episode. You get the great character intros at the beginning of the film, which are visual storytelling often absent from television. You get a nice use of sound. You get a take on gore that is actually more unsettling than hilarious... There's a strong directorial instinct behind this piece of work, that's undeniable.

Unfortunately, the story being told is not worth it. Not even close to worth it. After a few episodes of this series it's becoming painfully obvious that, given the opportunity, any given hip, indie director will choose to go freudian on the audience's colective rears and attempt horror through sexual themes. That's not bad per se, some of the greatest horror movies have done it, but sex is horror when it's hidden. Sex becomes scary when it's a forbidden, secret thing. Argento has a blast with his pay-tv creative freedom and decides to hit audiences over the head with gutted girls, phalus cannibalism, breast exposure and several servings of close-up intestines, and every instance of those things misses the mark the moment the camera focuses on it.

It's scary when the face of Jenifer is hidden, it's scary when her attacks on animals and people are a secret, or when the sex is insinuated through vagina-like cuts and licking sounds. When Argento goes further and tries to shock audiences with gore and sex, all he does is tap into the dead parts of the brain, those that are desentitized already and are unable to react to such things unless a heavy dose of humor or irony is added to them. In the end, too much of the story is too old, and the in-your-face approach doesn't refresh the concepts. The circular structure, the killing lover, the man dragged by his own impulses towards crime... it's all campfire horror story fare, and fake guts shoved into the audience's face don't elevate it at all.

The site reports the story comes from a comic book short story. I'm actually more interested in that, since the stylized, dark visuals of Swamp Thing creator are bound to present the horror elements so much better than this.

But make no mistake, some of the bad reviews on this site respond to viewers being overwhelmed by the strong visuals, which might mean the story packs a decent punch for less resilient minds. It has merits that can't be denied by any rational person who hasn't been thrown off by the sex and gore.
  • Oh dear god this is so sick

Right, Masters of horror has now reached the point of no return, in my eyes its now the sickest show on tv. There aren't even words to describe how sick this episode is. I didn't even think they were allowed to show kids dying on tv, thats why the camera cuts away in dawn of the dead when the zombie kids were shot but god this episode is sick. You're lured into a false sense of security in thinking that Jenifer is just missunderstood and then you see her eating a cat and having sex with Frank (who doesn't stop her, even though he is married) but, I can't even get onto the story I just can't believe how sick this episode is, I'll try.
    The storyline is good and original and there isn't too much or too little build up, I like that. But I think too much sex/nudity can ruin an episode, but if Jenifer had a normal face she would be classed as hot, but god her face!! So grim. This episode is positivly ruthless in its attempt to drive you out of your mind.
  • Jenifer's been a bad girl

‘Jenifer’ was a sick episode that had the potential of being one hell of an episode but tackyness made it a complete mess and failing to turn the episode it could have been/

The episode is mainly about a woman named Jenifer, who seems to have a disformed face. At the beginning of the episode, a cop saves her from a man that was about to hack her into little pieces. Who was actually doing the right thing. The entire first 25 minutes or so were very impressive, Jenifer was a character that you wanted to love, well, before you knew what she really was anyway.

The episode begins to weaken up when he takes Jenifer home, nobody wants her and she gets him into trouble with his family, because she ate the cat for example, something anyone could have guessed. Soon Jenifer begins to behave badly, she loves intestines and eats the neighbours little girl and then another man and puts him in the refrigerator. From that point the cop begins to loose his mind, the things he did for her, was he in some sort of a spell or something. It’s a shame we never got to hear about his family after that.

He takes Jenifer to a small house to start a new life, well Jen soon gets jealous and begins to eat more intestines again. But he caughts her and tries to kill her but just as he saved her, somebody saves her by killing the cop and caring for her.

‘Jenifer’ was an absolute sick episode, a lot of gore and some was good, other was just irritating. I think that the producers went a little to far by killing that little girl that way. Same goes with the penis eating, I mean, that guy would have been dead but he was clearly still alive.

The nudity and sex was really annoying and gross. Nudity is good as long as it’s used well, in this episode it mostly seemed inappropriate and irritating, in stead of telling the story it just hold it back.

But ah well, the episode did manage to leave an impression, I just wished it was a better one.
    This episode was very good. Even although it was picking up on an old story it portrayed it very well and didn\'t let the modernisation of the story ruin it.

This episode featured a lot of gore, but did not let the gore become the central focus of the story.

the only flaw in the episode is it\'s element of predictability, with it falling into the amazingly common trap of excessive foreshadowing of victims that many modern-day horror movies fall into.

The doom of the central character is especially intruigning in this episode. his kindness to jenifer is his downfall, turning a virtue into a curse. A very good idea that turns the story from a good one into a great one.

Overall, the episode is well worth watching.
  • This episode starts off as Frank stopping an insane man from killing a woman whose name is Jenifer. He thinks she is a damsel in distress but he is wrong. The man could have done everyone a favor.

This is exactly why I watch this series. This episode is

very exciting and makes the "Master of Horror" series

popluar. While taking Jenifer into his home Frank loses his

family and starts thinking about Jenifer in a sexual way.

And ends up having an affair with her. But he ends up

losing everything including his job. Then that's when the

killing starts and Jenifer is responsible for it all. But

in the end he tries to kill Jenifer and a hunter shoots

kills him. And he whispers the name "Jenifer" as he is

dying just like before. She licks his hand and the show

fades into the end.
  • Bring on the gore, the nudity and nastyness...That's why we should love this show!

At last a really disturbing episode! The first 3 of this highly anticipated series were ok (especially the 2nd), but nothing to rave about. Well, they lacked...nastyness. With this one (thanks, Dario), you\'re aware to watch a really edgy Tv-show and not some \"family-oriented\" spook-show. Anyway, the plot was pretty simplistic, but the author did a good job in adapting the short story by Bruce Jones and Bernie Wrightson as published in \"creepy\" comic magazine....Keep on the good work!
  • "Jenifer" is a step up from episodes 2 and 3, yet plotholes in the screenplay hamper this from being really good.

***Warning, there may be some spoilers in this review.***

"Jenifer" was a definate step (back) up from the horrible episode 3 and the so-so episode 2.

Having read the comic years ago, i knew what was going to happen and this may have influenced my opinion about this episode to the negative, especially because Steven Weber wrote the screenplay adapted to the comic, but added elements that were not there in the comic, but which actually resulted in some great plotholes. Nevertheless i understand some padding was required because adapting the comic completely faithfully would have made for an episode of no more than 30 minutes.

This adaptation certainly had a lot more sex, the main protagonist (played by Weber himself) has been made a cop, and the final section involving the cabin and the store were also not in the comic, although the very last scenes in the woods were.

However, most of it was still relatively faithful and that includes the murders.

Despite all this, the episode was still fairly decent for me, and certainly much, much better than the putrid nonsense that Tobe Hooper directed for episode three.

Gore hounds should certainly be satisfied with this one.
  • Ok, it´s a bad script - one has to get used to it when it comes to Argento :)

Poor old Dario. Each time he tries something new and extraordinary he will be punished by a bad script.

This time the holes in the plot are big enough to drive a bus through, but what the heck - it´s his style that counts. So let´s forget about cops who are not even think about theyre job and profession when confronted with some (really nics) tits and shop-owners giving a job to some complete stranger without asking for any identification at all.

The first shot alone let the fans know that Master Argento is back and throughout the whole episode he never lets us down. Being it just a few wild camera-angles, some greatly cutted sequences or his trademark hard gore-scenes - JENIFER is the best thing Argento has made in the last decade.

He even gets some above average performances out of his actors - that´s something he failed miserably during all of his carrer so far.

Also worth mentioning are the great make-up-FX from KN(without B) and a surprisingly classical Score of GOBLINS Simonetti. It´s about time that Argento really makes the step to the USofA and that he finally will get a scriptwriter who is able to write some logical material.

All in all my favourite episode so far, because it really stretches the limits of what CAN be shown on TV. :)
  • Masters of Horror indeed... This episode was just plain... horrible.

2.2
    The first five minutes of this episode were actually quite interesting. After that it took a sharp nosedive into the nether regions of sucking. The story had plot holes large enough to drive a semi through and more predictable than the dropping of the ball on New Years. The gore didn’t add any elements of horror, just gore for the sake of gore. The same goes for the nudity. We get it, it’s Showtime, you can show boobs – this doesn’t mean it’s good television.

The main protagonist’s actions were unmotivated and illogical at best. The woman’s moaning was annoying and the storyline just plain boring. I kept checking the time, waiting for this episode to end. The gore was not shocking, it was predictable, just like everything else in this episode.

If horror is what you’re looking for, look elsewhere. This will just suck an hour out of your life that you’ll never get back.
  • A solid episode....though not for everybody!

In this episode, we are quickly introduced to an average police detective named Frank who, while eating lunch, spots a woman being dragged to the river bank by a deranged man who clearly intends to do the woman deadly harm. Frank's response is perfectly normal but the events that follow are strange and very nasty, to say the least.

This reviewer enjoyed this episode quite a bit but one word of caution for anyone that is going to watch this particular episode: if you are uneasy or queasy about the sight of gore in a horror show, this episode is not one to watch. However, if you're not bothered by that element, Jenifer is a solid episode to watch with good acting and a pacing that keeps the viewer engrossed.