Masters of Horror

Pick Me Up

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Jan 20, 2006 on Showtime

7.8
  • The tale of a deadly threesome...

Pick Me Up was brilliant in the concept of two notorious killers: a hitchhiker who kills those that pick him up and a trucker who kills those whom he picks up. I have always been a fan of David J. Schow stories and I was not disappointed by his entry in the Masters of Horror series. Fairuza Balk, who I liked in American History X and The Island of Doctor Moreau, played a kickass take-no-crap survivor who unfortunately becomes the target of the two killers Walker (Warren Kole) and Jim Wheeler (Law and Order's Michael Moriarty) who have cleaned a broken down bus clean of its occupants. Still, I was a little disappointed (but not surprised by, knowing Schow's works) of the ending. Still, it was a good thriller over all.
  • Masters of Bored in this episode...

4.5
    Yes this episode masters boredom. I really like Fairuza Balk, and the premise was SO promising- killer hitchiker AND killer trucker meeting? That rocked. And thats where the thrills end. It was really boring, and Fairuza was only in it in tiny increments to give a "what the hell?" face. It was really extremely boring, very disappointing.
  • Sorta like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but a little more realistic. And a burst of irony at the end.

I really liked Pick me up, not as much as cigarette Burns but it was well written and well performed. It was too minimal on the gore and to be honest I can't really think of anything I didn't like about pick me up. The way you were lulled into a false sense of security about the driver was similar to Jenifer but this made you have real doubts as to whether he was gonna go psycho. This episode was kind of a nice break from more supernatural episodes in Masters of Horror such as Homecoming or Cigarette Burns, just gotta hope we won't have too much of that in episodes to come.
  • A unique episode where a young woman finds herself in double the trouble she would normally find in a typical horror movie - course double the trouble isnt always bad is it?

Pick me up is a great addition to the Masters of Horror series - it isnt overtly gorey or horrific like some of the other episodes but it takes a horror cliche of the psycho hitchhiker and of course the psycho truck driver and turns it on its head. Basically a dark comedy, it was directed by the man behind the Psycho Cop series and recently 'Phone Booth' and is a slick enjoyable ride that is definitely up to the quality required by a series like this. Fantastic stuff!
  • A very special episode in that it was actually watchable compared to most of this series. (spoilers)

The show had some funny parts, and the story idea was very good for this series, not total CRAP like most of the rest of the episodes. Actually this would be the second episode I actually enjoyed enough to watch without pain. This episode, in some ways, reminded me of the good Tales From The Crypt” episodes, because of it’s alternate view, and watching the ‘victims’ try to live of course, is hampered because of the pretty much everybody’s a bad guy theme. I suppose its major flaw to me is the lack funds for production value, but that’s easily looked over I think when you enjoy something for its story and characters.