Masters of Horror

Valerie on the Stairs

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Dec 29, 2006 on Showtime

• A writer becomes bewitched by a young woman he sees on the stairs. The young woman, asking for help, seems to be prisoner of a demon.

7.1
    Well, this episode was hard to pin down. The first five minutes you knew you were in for something creepy- rickety house, embittered writers, strange noises and unexplained deaths. This seems to be another episode of the series, however, where the leading "dumb" male becomes obsessed with a "female" (ghost or not) who they know, as does the audience, isnt good for them on any level. This one- who the hell nows except she lives on a staircase and is the "Devils Concubine". Okay...

The thing that kept confusing me about this episode was the really weird dichotomy between the demon and Valerie. She's afraid of him, he hurts her, hes in charge. But when they go on their "death rounds" shes totally different. She calls all the shots. She's the catalyst for the evil in those situations. The gore was good. The ending was very Twilight Zone-esque, and it was a kind of a "Sixth Sense" twist, but it left me unfulfilled, like they werent sure how to end it. I dont know, I have mixed feelings on this one. My faith in the series has been rocked this season.