Masters of Horror

Valerie on the Stairs

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Dec 29, 2006 on Showtime

• From the stairs to your very heart and mind...

Valerie on the Stairs was all right by me on the basis that it is a Cliver Barker based story (though not as good to me as the first season Haeckel's Tale) and that it starred the lovely Claire Grant and Candyman Tony Todd. This wasn't as terrible as some reviews had led me to believe before I saw the production but it still wouldn't exactly count as a definite favorite either. What I liked: Valerie and the Beast were both played excellently, though I thought the Beast could have been made up better than that. Tyrone Leisto was pretty good as the main character Rob who seeks the lovely and imprisoned Valerie as a muse of the mind and flesh only to be sent down a long journey into his own personal discovery of his true self that really is one for the book. Christopher Lloyd fit well as an older writer who was responsible for the Beast. Still, I think his and the other writers' characters could have been played out more but that's just me. This is another good installment on Mick Garris and Clive Barker's palette.