Masters of Science Fiction

A Clean Escape

Aired Saturday 10:00 PM Aug 04, 2007 on ABC

• A psychiatrist with a chip on her shoulder interrogates a man who still thinks he's 41 years old and living in the year 2007.

As pilot episodes go, this one left me wanting more. I've been anticipating the show since the commercials started a few weeks ago. Being a fan of the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits and science ficion in general, I was anticipating some kind of "twist", but this one.... I saw it coming.

A pale, pill-popping psychiatrist questions a confused man who seems to think he's there for a check up of some sort but the questions and tests indicate that he's there for some sort of memory lapse.

As the episode expands, we realize that the psychiatrist has a chip on her shoulder and has some sort of personal beef with the man. I kept expecting to find out that he was her husband who had done something horribly wrong 20+ years before but then when they showed her husband, I realized that wasn't it. Then, I expected it to be that she was the one with the mental/memory problem and that the "patient" was really the doctor, playing along with an unstable patient who had identity issues.

When we find out that he was the POTUS who made a deadly decision to drop a bomb... literally... that wiped out life and sentenced them to live in a shelter, that was a bit of a surprise, but not on the "OMG!" level. (ok, did anyone else wonder why he was saved and why his family wasn't there with him? I mean, if they had time to save him and his psychiatrist, surely they could have saved his family?)

In the end, the gunshot didn't surprise me and the victim didn't either. Maybe they shouldn't have shown the gun prior to the gunshot. That might have shocked me a little. I hope next week's episode is better because the show has so much potential. Aside from USA's shows, the summer television season has left me renting a lot of DVDs.