ABC Strikes Again!

Sthunder69

[1]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 1

You're not going to see more than 4 eps on ABC! 6 were produced but only 4 are scheduled for broadcast. The remaining 2 eps will be on DVD and in foreign broadcast. Therefore, we may or may not see the stories that they had rights to by Bradbury, Asimov, etc. Read this article for more info...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/television/reviews/article_display.jsp?&rid=9577

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bucephelus

[2]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 4
    Leave it to the regular networks to screw something good up. This needs to be picked up by a cable network if it will ever succeed.

actr4evr93

[3]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 3
    Awww man im actually really interested in this show and they screw me over. This is good entertainment itll help the wait for heroes smallville and prison break.

MarkaLV

[4]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 10
    Sthunder69 wrote:

You're not going to see more than 4 eps on ABC! 6 were produced but only 4 are scheduled for broadcast. The remaining 2 eps will be on DVD and in foreign broadcast. Therefore, we may or may not see the stories that they had rights to by Bradbury, Asimov , etc. Read this article for more info...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/television/reviews/article_display.jsp?&rid=9577

Man...And here I was hoping to see the adaption of "Nightfall" .

supperkat

[5]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 6
    Yeah, this is good tv but I know ABC will some how screw it up.And I believe it happen before it began,this network sometimes sucks when it comes to this type of show it's sci-fi.And I think ABC is the kind of network that does'nt do sci-fi that well anymore.And it's only for the Summer only.

Gnome6

[6]Aug 19, 2007
    Typical.
    Way to go ABC!

grinbear

[7]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 1
    Usual TV jock mentality. Please let TNT or SCIFI pick it up, before we lose the momentum. Also, if it's on one of the real channels, it will have multiple showings during the week and encores later.

Mafeu

[8]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 69
    grinbear wrote:
    Usual TV jock mentality. Please let TNT or SCIFI pick it up, before we lose the momentum. Also, if it's on one of the real channels, it will have multiple showings during the week and encores later.

I wouldn't get your hopes up - it seems this series was destined to be treated badly.

Personally I think this series has been brilliant so far and I can't wait for next weeks episode (the one I've really been looking forward to!) Hopefully they'll release this series on DVD so I can see the other two episodes. It's like The Outer Limits, but on wheels !

yukichigai

[9]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 7
    Mafeu wrote:
    Personally I think this series has been brilliant so far and I can't wait for next weeks episode (the one I've really been looking forward to!) Hopefully they'll release this series on DVD so I can see the other two episodes. It's like The Outer Limits, but on wheels !
    No, it's like The Outer Limits, except every episode doesn't end badly.

CLHatch

[10]Aug 21, 2007
    • level: 3
    It is really sickening that ABC chooses what shows stay and what shows go instead of the viewers. Every episode so far turned out to be exceptional and brilliantly written and acted. ABC has no vision at all when it comes to what the viewers want to see. After this last episode on Saturday ABC is off my viewing list because every unique program that is started on this channel is rapidly killed because of corporate dislike not viewer dislike. I never even knew about the show being on at all until I came across it on tv.com. I guess ABC didn't really want it to have a chance to begin with. It's really sad now I'm back to nothing worth watching on Saturday's again.

miless

[11]Aug 22, 2007
    Keep writhing people and hope that there is a slim chance the starched collars at ABC will open their freakin eyes.

nopperabo

[12]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 16
    There may be anadditional reason for the premature cancellation of this show. I thinkI recall hearing, in the director's commentary ofa televison show DVD set, that under the terms of a lot of Modern TV show contracts if theNetwork doesn't actually show all of the episodes of a series, it retains all of the rights to the show; if they do than the rights flip back to the show's creators if the network doesn't renew.I would imagine that this leads networks to pulla lot of shows midway through the season to maximize revenue.

igotbupkis

[13]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 28
    > Please let TNT or SCIFI pick it up...
    ... or FX or USA or Spike....

> Keep writing people and hope that there is a slim chance the starched collars at ABC will open their freakin eyes.

.. and the Pope will s*** in the woods?

While I'm disappointed in this result, I'm not surprised in the least. Fox, ABC, and CBS have all shown an absolutely assinine level of patience with new shows. I've been pushing for people to BOYCOTT NEW SHOWS
    on these three nets (I'm unaware of NBC doing anything this churlish as killing something after only a couple eps that was getting good reviews and/or getting a lot of word of mouth such that it might build an audience given a chance).
    In recent times, the nets have done this to CBS: Love Monkey ; Smith
    Fox: Wonderfalls ; Drive ; Tru-Calling
    ABC: Six Degrees ; Daybreak ; and this.
    and I for one am sick of it.

Let the nets know of your displeasure, and reject ALL new shows until the nets commit to airing at least a half-season of ALL new shows unless they are getting less than 25% of their preceding audiences. When they see all their new shows failing, they'll start to get the message.

It's not like there isn't anything else to watch. For the most part, the cable nets are producing better TV these days anyway...

nopperabo

[14]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 16
    Unfortunately the "Boycott New Shows" plan would most likey backfire. One has to remeber that, from the networks point of view they are not in the buisiness of deiver shows to the audiences; they are in the buisness of deilvering audiences to their advertisers. The amount a network makes on a show (i.e. from sales ofDVD's later) in nothing compared to the amoun they get from thier advertisers. If we boycotted new shows, then all of the viewing results would indicated that the revenue was coming from people watching reruns The Networkswould most likely eventually simply stop buying new shows and episodes since re-broadcating a rerun costs them nearly nothing. Boycotting all shows on the networks might work but is far more likey to simply drive the station out of buisness and haveit replaced with another one with identical poilices. Trying the reverse of you plan boycotting everything EXCEPT new shows would encogre the networks to buy new shows but would actually proably make the pulling problem worse since the networks would pull shows as soon as they were bought to try and find ones that would get a bigger following.I'n afraid we may be more or less stuck.

skrappyxn

[15]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 7
    Don't forget that the people's choice award winner for best new comedy "The Class" was also cancelled by CBS. And I would like to commend NBC for not doing it as much as the other networks.