Matlock

ABC (ended 1995)

karlmeszaros

Matlock Fan Reviews (28)

• Along with Perry Mason, perhaps the most influential law based show in the history of television. Matlock mixed courtroom and detective action to produce an interesting show that all ages can enjoy (esp. the elderly in my great aunt's retirement home).

7.7
    Along with Perry Mason, perhaps the most influential law and court based show in the history of television. Matlock mixed courtroom action with detective work and produced an interesting show that all ages can enjoy(esp. the elderly generation in my great aunt's retirement home). Matlock had solid but not fantastic acting in it, except for Andy Griffith who is great. Yet, that is not what makes this show so appealing. This show's greatest asset that its stories are always interesting and quite twisty. You can never be sure of who the killer is until the last few minutes of each episode. Also, another strong point of the show is that it portrays the elderly accurately, yet in a positive light. Just look at Ben Matlock, he is sometimes a grump as many elderly people can be, but he also has dry humor about him that only years of life experience can produce. Then at the same time, he is active and shows he can still contribute at an older age, solvin mysteries. That fact may be why this show is so loved by the elderly population. This show never has extremely racy subjects so even kids can watch this show, thus expanding its demographics. All in all, this show has done very well for itself. While it may not be the greatest show, it is by far one of the most long airing (it's no longer running, but it is airing on many channels across the nation) court room drams out there. Its influence can be seen in everything from Law and Order to even investigative shows such as CSI. For that, we must tip our caps.

My final review: Not the greatest of court room dramas, but definately a solid, entertaining one and one of the most influential.