Maui Fever Forums

MTV - Music Television (ended 2007)

Disgrace to Maui

milayja

[1]Jan 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    This show is a disgrace to Maui.  Locals.....true Maui locals.... do not act like this at all.  We show appreciation for the people and the land we live on.  These haoles call themselves locals....they are truly NOT.  Do you see any real local on the show? no.  We are not floozies, as these people portray themselves to be.  Hawaii is NOT a bunch of dumb haoles, looking to hook up left and right on national tv and making asses of themselves.  We have class and surely, these people don't.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LovinMe210

[2]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 4

^^^i agree, the people on the show seem so fake, i was so disgusted i changed the channel

xblvr

[3]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 38
    I have been to Hawaii numerous times and found the locals very nice and informative...I never ran into the people like those portrayed in this show...

milayja

[4]Jan 22, 2007
    That's exactly how I felt! I know MTV can do better, but yet they had to stoop so low as to even create a show like this! A LOT of Hawaii local people are so opposed to this show. It's very disrespectful to us.

dude6363

[5]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 60
    Yeah i've never seen this but i read about it on AOL. It seemed not good to begin with this whole controversy will just end the show quicker. We already have this show (the O.C., Laguna Beach, i'm sure there's more). Now i've never seen it but I can't honestly believe it brings something "new" or even different that Laguna Beach doesn't already offer. OMG! Instead of Cali they put it on Hawaii!?! Wow, MTV strikes gold again with orgininalitty. Puke! I wouldn't have watched it anyway and this means I never will. But don't get outraged, it won't be on for long.

mjla87

[6]Jan 24, 2007

This show "Maui Fever" is so freakin **** I dont get how people can make a show without showing any locals. Maui is a diverse island but this show just portrays the caucasions, the last time I checked there were more than one ethnic background living on this island. People say that racism is no longer a big issue and a thing of the past....well this show just proved that racism isn't gone. In fact, my opinion is that it has become worse. I hope this show gets canceled because we don't need another show that has rich stuck up people telling the world about their lives. I swear the people in these shows are toooooo dramatic. They act as if their lives are more important than any other peoples lives. Instead of making a show about boys and girls trying to decide who to date next maybe these producers should pay attention to other aspects of Maui. For example they should show the diversities of people that live here, anything but white drama freaks. These producers might think that maybe they should move this show to a different island but reality check.....all the islands are like this. If you dont want to change what this show is about than get the hell out of this island because we dont need transplants from the mainland!  

sunBono

[8]Jan 24, 2007

I don't agree with it being racism! I just think it is the way shows are marketed. the MTV trend is young rich white people and that is what the viewers want to see! it is sad but very true!

but yes it is a very bad show and shows the epidemy of shallowness!

a totally different thing... anybody know the name of the song that played in the first episode when the girls were dancing around that one guy??

PukalaniGal

[9]Jan 25, 2007
    Maui Fever just gets worse and it has only shown two episodes.  MTV dropped the ball on this one.  With the exception of the local "tag along" to all these "haole" kids that are supposedly representatives of Maui, give me a break.  This is nothing like Maui is, was or ever has been.  The local people are what make the islands what they are.  The locals give it the aloha and not just a betrayal that Maui folks look for tourists girls to prey on, use and beg they leave the island.  Maui folks love their families, friends, good food and good times.  Why don't the folks from MTV go ask the real locals what living on the island is really like because this is just bad news for the rest of us folks from Maui. 

Anime_lover14

[10]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 7
    You People are rood. If you dont like the show then you shouldn't make a post about it thats dum. dont critisize a show on a forum just cause u dont like the show other people do!

darlingdarcy

[11]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 21
    Anime_lover14 wrote:
    You People are rood. If you dont like the show then you shouldn't make a post about it thats dum. dont critisize a show on a forum just cause u dont like the show other people do!

The point of a forum is to have a discussion, and sometimes people aren't going to agree with you or like whatever you may like. They have a legitimate complaint - this is their home, and they believe it is being portrayed in a very poor light. Also, this topic is specifically about not liking the way the show portrays the community - there are plenty of other forum topics about Maui Fever where you can declare your love.

kalan_lover

[12]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 11
    Please don't attack me for saying this but I don't watch these types of shows (Laguna Beach, The Hills, The OC, Maui Fever) to see the locals. I'm not being rude but I watch this show purely because it's entertaining. The people on this show are fake but that's what makes it good, they're not boring everyday people that you see walking down the street. I liked this show because it was entertaining and isn't that what TV is supposed to be?