Maverick Forums

ABC (ended 1962)

Question about season five

dbrown2009

[1]Mar 27, 2009
    • level: 12

I've been watching the re-runs on Encore Westerns, and have a question about season five. I know James Garner left after the third season. Yet, in season five some of the episodes have the announcer at the beginning say "Maverick...Starring Jack Kelly and James Garner." It also shows a graphic on the screen that says "Starring Jack Kelly as Bart Maverick and James Garner as Bret Maverick." Were they hoping to convince Garner to come back to the show for season five, or were they deliberately tried to deceive the audience into thinking he was still apart of the series?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DBizTV

[2]Mar 29, 2009
    • level: 43
    dbrown2009 wrote:

I've been watching the re-runs on Encore Westerns, and have a question about season five. I know James Garner left after the third season. Yet, in season five some of the episodes have the announcer at the beginning say "Maverick...Starring Jack Kelly and James Garner." It also shows a graphic on the screen that says "Starring Jack Kelly as Bart Maverick and James Garner as Bret Maverick." Were they hoping to convince Garner to come back to the show for season five, or were they deliberately tried to deceive the audience into thinking he was still apart of the series?

Always check the Notes and Trivia, pardner. Here's some Trivia from the first episode of Season 5, "Dade City Dodge" :

In Season Five, thirteen new Jack Kelly episodes were filmed for Maverick and aired on alternating weeks with reruns of James Garner episodes. Kelly did get some measure of respect, however, because he was billed ahead of Garner in the opening credits.

dbrown2009

[3]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 12
    Kelly definitely deserves some respect. He kept the show going for two more seasons, when they could have just decided to pack it in after Garner left. I wish that the Encore Westerns crew would have filmed some vignettes with the poker all-stars talking about him too. You watch those, and think that Garner was the only Maverick.

archangelwho

[4]May 17, 2009
    • level: 18
    Jack Kelly has never gotten his due. Just look at the remakes.