Maverick

The People's Friend

Aired Sunday 6:30 PM Feb 07, 1960 on ABC

• What Jack Kelly does best

A perfect "Maverick" for my tastes because it's story-driven more than character-driven. This is where Jack Kelly shines. He allows the script to play itself out while providing a sure hand at expressing his role. The little touches such as the sheriff catching him defacing the poster, the kid with the slow dog and the incredibly sloppy dealing by the cheater all go into dispersing attention away from the star. The viewer feels engaged more than just entertained. I'm a fan of Jack Kelly for just this reason. On those few occasions where I see him play in other productions I'm pre-positioned to look for this trait. His is a deft hand. Whimsy with a purpose.

The supporting roles are great too. The whole thing leaves one feeling that the time has been well-spent.
  • Jack Kelly's Finest Hour

Many devotees of Maverick prefer the James Garner episodes but Jack Kelly also did some fine solo work as well. I rate The People's Friend and Arizona Black Maria as the two best Kelly episodes and both are as good as anything James Garner ever did on the series.

The plot in this one concerns Bart Maverick being cajoled into running for election to the State Senate on the Reform Party ticket by a pretty girl after her father, the original candidate, is seriously wounded by an assassin's bullet. Needless to say, Bart becomes the next target of the assassin but in his own bumbling way he manages to put things right.

One wonders whether or not Ross Perot was a fan of Maverick due to the fact that the name of his Reform Party is used in this episode. Perhaps Mr. Perot got the name from watching The People's Friend. Or maybe not. This one is also interesting because star Jack Kelly later got into politics in real life serving two terms as Mayor of Huntington Beach, CA. In this instance real life emulated art.
ENCWS