McLeod's Daughters Forums

The Nine Network (ended 2009)

Season 8 Discussion

leo_star20

[1]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 4

I was listening to 3aw a melbourne talkback radio station, and they had a female tv woman on saying that series 8 would be the last. She didnt have much info on how long season 8 is, but all she knew is that it is the last season, and it is currently being filmed now.

She said the problem that lead to this is because of the two new Aussie dramas that nine have made and that they cant fit mcleods in...

This is sad news as I am a great fan of the show.

Edited on 01/31/2008 4:15pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DE1979

[2]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 8

CHANNEL 9 is axing its long-running rural drama McLeod's Daughters.

The series that helped make household names of actors including Bridie Carter, Lisa Chappell and Aaron Jeffery, has delivered solid ratings for Nine for most of its seven-season run.

The show costs about $500,000 an episode and its writers have found it progressively difficult to create strong storylines after the departure of a string of key cast members.

Series eight of McLeod's, in production in the Barossa Valley region of South Australia, will be its last.

Nine is intent on investing in new drama concepts.

A second series of the Lisa McCune drama Sea Patrol is in production in Queensland and Nine is to deliver gangster drama Underbelly and Canal Road next year.

Nine also announced at the weekend it had commissioned Young Doctors, a modern take on its Aussie hospital drama from the early '80s.

"I have always maintained that the series should finish on a high and while it was still loved by the audience," McLeod's creator and executive producer Posie Graeme-Evans said.

Lady-Delphinea

[3]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    End of the road for McLeod's Daughters
    Wednesday Nov 21 13:23 AEDT
    After eight years detailing the lives and loves of the women of Drovers Run, the Nine Network is axing popular rural drama McLeod's Daughters.

The network has announced series eight of the show, which is currently in production, would be the last.

The show features a group of women, and their men, running an outback cattle property, and is shot entirely on location in South Australia.

There were doubts earlier this year about whether it would return for an eighth series, despite delivering solid ratings. The show's creator and executive producer, Posie Graeme-Evans, said the time was right to end the series.

"I have always maintained that the series should finish on a high, and while it was still loved by the audience," she said.

"Based on this belief, in conjunction with Channel Nine, we have come to the decision, that series eight will be the last."

The series has been sold to more than 230 overseas countries, including Afghanistan and Zimbabwe, and received eight Logies Awards, including two for most popular drama series in 2004 and 2005.

Nine chief executive David Gyngell said the network was extremely proud of McLeod's Daughters and the "incredible success" it had enjoyed since premiering in 2001.

"It has become an iconic Australian drama and has featured the best of local talent, both in front of, and behind the cameras," he said.

The eighth and final series starring Simmone Jade Mackinnon, Aaron Jeffery, Abi Tucker, Michala Banas, Matt Passmore, Doris Younane, Gillian Alexy, Luke Jacobz and Dustin Clare, will screen in early 2008.

-----

It is sad. But... well we knew one day it would come.

Lauren___Graham

[4]Nov 23, 2007
    • level: 7
    Yes, I heard about that!
    That's so sad! I don't want it to stop ever!

marie-lee

[5]Dec 2, 2007
    • level: 10
    Although I am disapointed that it will be axed I am kind of glad it is. At least this way the show will go out on a high and they were running out of daughter that are actually McLeods anyway. Only so many long, lost children one man can have.

maudse

[6]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 1
    when are the eights seson beginning so I can read it on the computer I live in Sweden and I just love this show.I hope it will end happily

KiwiElle

[7]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 6

Yeah, it's disappointing but not surprising that it's coming to an end. I just hope the writers do a great job of making the last season a great one that has a positive sense of closure - one that lets us imagine Drovers Run continuing on, but without us having to watch it necessarily. And if Drovers itself is written out... there had better be a VERY good reason!

IMO, too many regulars that viewers have come to love have left at once which leaves the show without sufficient momentum for several episodes. Whenever new characters were introduced in the past, it was at a time when other regulars held sway and so the focus wasn't fully on the new characters. That way you could get used to them more naturally. With so many core characters disappearing off the screen at one time with not enough "broken in" secondary characters to carry the story (and hold our attention), it seems to skip a beat and take a while to get back on track.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Season 8 even though it will be the last

JustAJunkie

[8]Jan 17, 2008
    • level: 10

Lady-Delphinea wrote:
    The eighth and final series starring Simmone Jade Mackinnon, Aaron Jeffery, Abi Tucker, Michala Banas, Matt Passmore, Doris Younane, Gillian Alexy, Luke Jacobz and Dustin Clare, will screen in early 2008.

Dustin Clare? Aaron Jeffery? Am I the only confused one here?

banannie

[9]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 22
    JustAJunkie wrote:

Lady-Delphinea wrote:

Dustin Clare really is confusing, Aaron Jeffery doesn't irritate me that much (somewhere I read he's gonna guest star in the last season), but what about Michala Banas???

Edited on 01/22/2008 9:39am

Lady-Delphinea

[10]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 5
    banannie wrote:
    JustAJunkie wrote:

Lady-Delphinea wrote:

Dustin Clare really is confusing, Aaron Jeffery doesn't irritate me that much (somewhere I read he's gonna guest star in the last season), but what about Michala Banas???

Dustin Clare is Riley Ward and Aaron Jeffery is Alex Ryan... if that is what you are confused over. None of the stars annoy me. Well except the 'villians' but that is their job to do.
    Edited on 01/22/2008 10:36pm

diecaro

[11]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 21

I don't think that's what's confusing them...

Rather that all of them - Riley, Alex and Kate - were supposed to be gone after season 7. Don't get me wrong though: I'd absolutely love to see them on season 8, but somehow I doubt that all three of them changed their mind...

When's "early 2008"? When can we expect the season to start? I can't wait, although I'm also really glad that they're bringing it to an end. It was only a matter of time seeing how the basic concept of the show died when Claire did and Tess and Jodi left.

Nicki68

[12]Feb 22, 2008
    Early 2008 is almost over. So when will McL Season 8 start ?
    Can not wait any longer... ;-)

banannie

[13]Feb 23, 2008
    Nicki68 wrote:
    Early 2008 is almost over. So when will McL Season 8 start ?
    Can not wait any longer... ;-)

Same here.

ssih1

[14]Feb 23, 2008
    I read on an Aussie forum that the current expectation is approximately Easter.

Nicki68

[15]Mar 7, 2008
    ssih1 wrote:
    I read on an Aussie forum that the current expectation is approximately Easter.

Are there any further news by now ? Can not believe that the fall series are already scheduled here but MCL doesn't have
    an update ....

Nicki68

[16]Mar 17, 2008
    I just read on Aussies Channel Nine Forum, that Posie said on March 6, that the last 2 episodes are about to be finished.

So that means, latest in April, Season 8 is finshed. I doubt that this show will be aired before the summer break then.

xilsex

[17]Mar 19, 2008
    thursday will be the last filming day of Mcleods

didi-at-sea

[18]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 11

When!!!! When does season 8 start?? They said early 2008....then is was Easter....but nothing. Anybody know when for sure?

Bsubtilis

[19]Apr 19, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLeods_Daughters_-_The_Eighth_Season

--> returns in june 2008

banannie

[20]Apr 22, 2008
    June 2008... I can't wait!