Medium

A Couple of Choices

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 17, 2005 on CBS

• Picture Perfect

The opening sequence was masterfully done. I knew something wasn't quite right, but I wasn't expecting the husband to pull out a gun and shoot his wife in the head. As with the last episode, this is quite a grisly hour of Medium.

The creepiest bit for me thus far from the series can be found in this episode. Yup, you guessed it, the breathing corpses under the blooded blanket. It's a simple but effective scare tactic that's hella creepy.

While the main storyline is solid, its premise probably my favorite so far, it's undermined by Allison's seemingly limitless abilities. She can do all sorts of things – from sensing the dead, mind reading, communicating with the dead, even psychically returning to the crime scene – which leads to a particularly lazy denouement where she simply says ''that one'' and finds the killer. Pity.

The subplot involving Joe planning a surprise party was a lot of fun. Again, I'm thrilled Allison has someone as supportive as Joe in her life, especially as I'm sure she'll meet plenty more people like Scanlon, who called her a loon from the beginning, and rightfully so.

Overall, it's a fascinating conceit given an unusually easy fix. The writers need to give Allison some limitations, cos these quick fixes will no doubt get old fast.