Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

A recent problem with the character of Allison

TurkMA

[1]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 1

Allison is a hypocrite. She wanted the female suspect in "Truth Be Told" so badly to admit she killed the two home invaders, one of which raped her. She demanded she tell the DA she killed the two guys and looked self-righteous doing it. Yet she had no problem letting Blythe Danner's character walk away without consequences for the pre-meditated murder of her own daughter in "A Taste of Her Own Medicine". She even knew where the daughter's body was buried and let them pore the pool overtop of it. Where was Allison in that episode when the truth needed to be told to the DA? It sets a bad precedent for the show, if Allison is willing to let some murderers skate because they killed for what she feels is good reason. Makes you wonder....I'm guessing killing the guy who just raped you and his accomplice still suffering shock from the attack isn't an ignorable murder by Allison's standards but killing an evil daughter who poisons children all the while pretending she went missing because you don't want you're son-in-law and granddaughter to know what kind of monster she really was makes Allison's do not prosecute list.

In past episodes she has told victims that have commited "justifiable" murder that justice is blind and she has to tell the truth about what happened no matter what the circumstance. For example, In one past episode she uncovered a woman fugitive who had killed a policeman accidently when she fought back when he tried to rape her during a traffic stop. In that episode she gave her a head start out of town before she told the DA what she knew. The key being that she was compelled to tell the DA what she knew even if she felt for the woman. If Allison is going to be a self-righteous nag all the time and demand the truth from people, then she cannot pick and choose what to report on a crime. To do so makes her character lose all credibility with the audience.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gregorysam

[2]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 4
    oh ok, that is what she wanted for the wife to admit. I sort off missed a few of the lines and was wondering her disappointment. I think the biggest question in that episode is an ethical one. Was she responsible for killing the second invader even after he put down his weapon. Remember it's not as easy as it seems to say yes or no. Self difference has to be mentality just as much as actual danger. She could of felt danger by letting him live like he might of grabbed the gun. She may have felt danger that he would come back so she couldn't testify against him, so its a tricky question. I think the character did what she believed was necessary, but what is very hard to debate is her responsibility in covering up the killing by her husband. Yes she may have been arrested and her husband would be outraged but he killed in cold blood for greed (for crying out loud he had 1/2 a million but wanted it all). She also could of left the husband but probably got sucked up in his world and the money they had. So should she be guilty of that? Again an ethical question (obviously a legality question as well)

Another interesting point I'm surprised about is why when she killed the guy and they agreed it was self difference but started debating about weather to call the police why didn't they call the police claim self difference but take the money. Theirs no way the police would ever suspect they had money because its unlikely Robers will bring you there money from there past. What do you guys think? Including Allison being a hypocrite

Edward_Nigma

[4]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 54
    Well, I have also noticed Allison has changed...but I think it's more of her coming to realize that if someone kills someone else, they're not always gonna be like, "Aww, I feel bad now, I'm gonna turn myself in and destroy my life, just because this Allison chick wants me to." There not always something Allison can do anyways, and after so long she can't keep searching for hard evidence. And I guess she also takes into account the circumstances of the murders. Last week though, she did eventually say to Devalos "take the man's confession," referring to Julie's husband saying he killed all four people when he really only killed two. So she did eventually "give up" on trying to solve the case 100%, so it's not really a break in her character's new direction of sympathizing more with killers depending on circumstances.

Maybe it all started in that episode that happened in the past, when young Allison let that one boy shoot himself in the head because she knew he would eventually become a rapist...

Kleinke

[5]Apr 18, 2009
    • level: 12
    TurkMA wrote:

Yet she had no problem letting Blythe Danner's character walk away without consequences for the pre-meditated murder of her own daughter in "A Taste of Her Own Medicine".

I agree, that annoyed me as well. Very much out of character. Although I believe there was something similar in a previous season... can't put my finger on it though.

netgoddess

[6]Sep 11, 2009
    • level: 10
    Kleinke wrote:
    I agree, that annoyed me as well. Very much out of character. Although I believe there was something similar in a previous season... can't put my finger on it though.

You're probably thinking of her not turning in Agent Cooper for killing that serial killer who got away. On the first episode that featured Agent Cooper.

MetaLuna

[7]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 5
    Agent Cooper was cool. Anyone else mentally picturing him yelling at Topher Grace the whole time he was on screen? Anyway, I don't think real people are consistent. Real people are hypocritical. I, for example, may have quite lofty ideals and no problem sticking to them when the time, situation or person is right... but present me with a sympathetic situation I can relate to, and suddenly I'm all wishy washy. Totally human.