Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Has Medium jumped the shark?

Do you think that Medium has jumped the shark?

Edward_Nigma

[1]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 54
    Just wondering what everyone thinks. Ratings aren't nearly as good as they were during the show's first season (I don't think the show is ever in the weekly top 20 anymore), and there doesn't seem to be much hype about the show anymore. That and NBC doesn't seem to promote it like they used to either. Comments welcome.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

valdumont

[2]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 7
    I think this is really a promotion problem. It is not advertised as much as other shows on NBC. Of course, I don't really like Cynthia (Angelica Huston). I miss the relationship between Devalos and Allison. I really think it was a bad thing when she got outted last season...

mccar29

[3]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 36

I agree that there is definitely a promotion issue. I still love the show but it seems to have lost it's focus. There was such great chemistry between Scanlon, Allison and Devalos. They made a great team. I'm not sure why there was a need to make a change. Even after they outted Allison, I think they could have still kept them together. This whole unemployed, financially ruined story line is getting old real quick. Let's get back to the quirky dreams and great crime solving.

no1pops49

[4]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 1
    I think they need the first seasons writers back.if they are the first seasons writers they need to change them. last nights show did not end well. in 10 min. into the show you already new who the killer was.this was a set up for a second show. Im sure that everyone can already figure out the ending to that one. hope they fix the show before its canceled again.

pisceandreams

[5]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 40

no1pops49 wrote:
    hope they fix the show before its canceled again.

Cancelled again? It was never cancelled to begin with ... .

I actually didn't figure out who the killer was in "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" until it was revealed. I thought it was clever in that respect.

I guess my answer to this question depends upon which definition of "jump the shark" is being referred to here. The original definition of "jump the shark" refers to when a show features something (storyline, guest appearance, etc.) that is blantly done for ratings because the show itself no longer draws viewers or because the show has run out of ideas. With that definition in mind, I don't think Medium has jumped the shark. It has yet to do something so over the top merely for the sake of ratings that made me think "this show is done for".

Edited on 02/26/2008 6:36pm
    Edited 3 total times.

agent_0042

[6]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 66
    Promotion issue. The story and characters are still quite enjoyable. No, I still really like the show.

Jrr6415sun

[7]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 9

omg

1) it has to do or change something to jump the shark. The show is the exact same format it has been for the last 4 years. Seriously.. her changing her haircut means the show has jumped the shark? you have got to be kidding me.. do people even know what this term means anymore?

2) it is advertised fine. Every single show has fans who say omg they don't advertise our show enough, that is why it is doing bad in ratings!! No, sorry, don't use that excuse. people move on and get bored with shows after awhile, that's just how it is.

Edited on 02/26/2008 11:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Edward_Nigma

[8]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 54
    Jrr6415sun wrote:

omg

1) it has to do or change something to jump the shark. The show is the exact same format it has been for the last 4 years. Seriously.. her changing her haircut means the show has jumped the shark? you have got to be kidding me.. do people even know what this term means anymore?

2) it is advertised fine. Every single show has fans who say omg they don't advertise our show enough, that is why it is doing bad in ratings!! No, sorry, don't use that excuse. people move on and get bored with shows after awhile, that's just how it is.

First off, I never said it jumped the shark, I was just asking people's opinions. And um yeah, Devalos and Allison getting kicked out of the DA's office is a big change. A huge change...do you even watch the show? The format is not the same, sorry. Joe and Allison are both out of steady work, Devalos is starting his own practice, and then there's this new Keener lady. The first 2 seasons I just sorta threw in there. Because people do say "after season XX the show started to suck" and that doesn't always mean some colossal change occurred, the writing could just start to suck or something. The huge ratings drop after both the first and second seasons, when the show went from top 20 material (season 1) to mid 30's (season 2) all the way to about 60 (season 3), definitely reflects that people stopped watching the show. There must be some reason for the audience loss, so something must have changed in their minds to stop watching...

agent_0042

[9]Feb 27, 2008
    Medium faces competition in its timeslot that is tough, if you ask me. There's CSI: Miami, of course, and obviously, you know CSI, anything associated with that is generally big, and the show has the same type of nature as this one in some ways, so it's directly competing for eyeballs. ABC is also airing a new series called October Road, oh, and don't forget about Project Runway.

confusedboy24

[10]Feb 28, 2008
    • level: 17
    CSI Miami has been out of episodes since January 14 and since then that was the only episode to air opposite it, so you can't use that excuse for Medium's drop. If anything it was clearly pointed out that it isn't as intriguing to some as it once was. It happens to all shows, so why give a beef about it when it just happens to be your favorite? If you want to save it, do it, don't create arguments that will do nothing to help the show out.

mbodin12345

[11]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 1

imo Medium hasn't 'jumped the shark'

like many of you have said it doesn't get promoted very well and personally I think it may be the time it is on.... A lot of the newer shows October Road, Brothers and Sisters, Medium are on at 10pm. After a hard monday the last thing I want to do is stay up to 11pm to watch tv. I find myself downloading the episodes the next day and watch when I have time. I realize 'downloading' is bad for tv (the writers strike and all) but what do you expect when you put a show on so freakin late.

rondetto

[12]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 3
    It really is about the time slot they give the show. At prime time it would be as gripping as any other blockbuster show.
    Same with Monk and Lost, it depends if the station is prepared to put it on at prime time whether the show is a hit or not.

derbone

[13]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 8
    I must say I really liked the 4 first episodes of the new season, I don't think at all that it is a let down. Anjelica Houston is a brilliant actress, she has really added something new...I actually missed her in the last two episodes..I hope she will come back and stick around. I loved seasons one and two, but some of the season three episodes really bored me, the stories were slow and felt unfinished at times. I don't know why so many people keep on saying it was the best season. As to me, season three only caught up late in the course of the final episodes - with neve campbell and the brilliant-but-underrated jason priestley. So far (with the exclusion of the last two episodes..I really don't like these "murderer-gets-away"-endings) season 4 has been brilliant. The changes that have been made keep the show fresh and interesting.
    Edited on 03/04/2008 1:51pm
    Edited 2 total times.

agent_0042

[14]Mar 7, 2008
    Re - the comment about creating arguments - I don't think anyone's creating arguments, they're just speculating. Perhaps some people don't feel it's as interesting, that's fine. Personally, I'm still generally getting exactly what I want out of the show and enjoying it a lot.

paryah

[15]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 9

Edward_Nigma wrote:
    First off, I never said it jumped the shark,
    No, you never said the show jumped the shark, but you pretty much slanted your question and your poll to assume that the show has at some point. I get the point of the poll I do, but I think someone was just commenting on the word you chose to use to express your point.
    Edward_Nigma wrote:
    And um yeah, Devalos and Allison getting kicked out of the DA's office is a big change. A huge change...do you even watch the show? The format is not the same, sorry. Joe and Allison are both out of steady work, Devalos is starting his own practice, and then there's this new Keener lady.
    Btw, your inital tone is way entirely too testy. Yes! Big plot changes have occurred since the first and second seasons but that's what shows do! They change! They twist and turn and make us follow. Yeah, Joe and Allison are out of work but they gotta go through rough patches just like anyone else. This isn't Leave it to Beaver, you know? What hasn't changes is Joe's faithful, compassionate nature. allison's desire and struggle to do good in the world with her gift and realistic good and bad everyday dynamics of a family.

In regards to Keener. though the lovely Angelica H is endearing in this role I believe she's only signed on to six episodes so no worries!

Edward_Nigma wrote:
    ... definitely reflects that people stopped watching the show. There must be some reason for the audience loss, so something must have changed in their minds to stop watching...
    In regards to television show's loyal fans... real life always gets in the way! So if a show doesn't have the same size audience as it did first season, start your own campaign. Tell your friends, family and co-workers how much you love the show. Do you really want to leave everything to corporations anyways?

Edited on 03/10/2008 9:30pm

eclecticvewer

[16]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 11
    Let me first say that I love the show, and even this season. While the lackluster premiere disappointed me, it got back on its feet pretty quickly and has been gaining speed ever since. Case in point, the recent series of fantastic two parter episodes.

However, I'm worried that they made the jump out of Devalos's office just a few seasons too early. That seems like something the show would resort to when it's working its way towards a series finale. While I do like the change, it seems like they could've kept up the old order of things at least one or two seasons longer. This sudden rearrangement makes me worry that the show is preparing itself in case of sudden cancellation...

Justforpostin

[17]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 5
    I don't think Medium has jumped the shark. The show has a lot to offer still...

pgsuperfan

[18]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 25
    They it to be more like the first 2 seasons

hplover09

[19]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 8
    Umm, to those who think Medium isn't doing well in the ratings, I don't think you've looked at them recently.

Medium's ratings have been getting better and better each week this season. Two weeks ago, I believe it was, Medium was a top 20 show for the week. This Monday Medium got 10.72M viewers and a 3.4 in the 18-49 demographic, which is the one the networks really look at. Ratings haven't been this high since season two. Also, these ratings were higher than Deal or No Deal's, and they are currently one of NBC's highest rated shows. I'm pretty sure Medium will be in the top 20 again this week!

So, those who are saying that Medium is not doing well are wrong and really should do their research...Medium has obviously picked up new viewers and the hype is getting louder each and every week. Have you noticed that TV Guide had begun to talk about Medium more? They never used to do that.

The majority of viewers must think that Medium hasn't jumped the shark, or the numbers wouldn't be so high. They must think, as I do, that this is the best season so far and that the stories just keep getting better!

confusedboy24

[20]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 17
    hplover09 wrote:
    Umm, to those who think Medium isn't doing well in the ratings, I don't think you've looked at them recently.

Medium's ratings have been getting better and better each week this season. Two weeks ago, I believe it was, Medium was a top 20 show for the week. This Monday Medium got 10.72M viewers and a 3.4 in the 18-49 demographic, which is the one the networks really look at. Ratings haven't been this high since season two. Also, these ratings were higher than Deal or No Deal's, and they are currently one of NBC's highest rated shows. I'm pretty sure Medium will be in the top 20 again this week!

So, those who are saying that Medium is not doing well are wrong and really should do their research...Medium has obviously picked up new viewers and the hype is getting louder each and every week. Have you noticed that TV Guide had begun to talk about Medium more? They never used to do that.

The majority of viewers must think that Medium hasn't jumped the shark, or the numbers wouldn't be so high. They must think, as I do, that this is the best season so far and that the stories just keep getting better!

In your research you also seemed to have skipped through the part that Medium's competition were all reruns and it still wasn't able to crack the top 10 or be #1 for the night. Quite disappoint, but for NBC's standard it is doing good. Which is not that great of a compliment, with NBC doing horrible overall reruns and non.