Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

If Joe and Allison are Really So Hard Up for Money

agent_0042

[1]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 66
    Here's what they could do...

1. Joe - take a different job! Stop acting so lame and thinking any career other than aerospace is below you.
    2. Conserve on utilities, and enforce it with their kids too.
    3. Use Allison's psychic abilities as a direct play to make money. Sorry, Allison, it's not beneath you either.

And here's what they could have done to avoid this:

1. Established a responsible savings plan
    2. Not bought such a lavish home in the first place
    3. Live a more frugal lifestyle in general

The poorhouse plot is becoming beyond annoying and needs to be dropped.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wheredunnit

[2]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 1
    Is their home particularly lavish? It doesn't seem so to this UK watcher. Many TV show families have really hu-uge homes, compared to what is the norm over here, whereas Alsion's always struck me as being fairly modest. Two of the girls share a room, and guests have to sleep on the couch?

agent_0042

[3]Mar 16, 2008
    Well, it's not exactly a mansion, but they're not doing awful either. And they own their own home. And, as a reader of TV Guide pointed out, Allison drives a really nice car.

You do have a point there, although a two bedroom isn't bad. I'd say it's at least somewhat on the nice side, but I'll concede that maybe it's not entirely "lavish."

Stefan1970

[4]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 17

I'd have to agree with you agent_0042... the poorhouse plot is getting extremely tiresome.

Is Joe really not qualified to work anywhere except for the Aerospace field? I find that hard to believe.

With the Dubois family in the poorhouse, and Devalos hardly around (thankfully he around more so of late)... the show just seems to be walking through this season in a zombie like trance. I can't say that Angelica Huston's rather crabby character is a shining light to the season either.

Hopefully (and most likely), it seems as though Devalos is inching towards winning his job back from D.A. Tom "Snidely Whiplash" Van Dyke.

II_Seraphim_II

[5]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    I agree with you Stefan1970. The poor home scenario is really getting annoying, and Joe should be able to find a job doing something other than Aerospace. The part I agree most with you is that this season seems to be going through a Zombie like trance. This season is reminiscent of 24 season 6. Season 5 was so great and ended with such a big bang that season 6 had no where else to go but down. Same is happening with medium. The moment the exposed Allison was the highpoint of the whole series. Everyone was thinking "Whats going to happen next!? Oh my god!!! I can't wait!!!!" Then in comes season 4...it so boring and nothing exciting ever happens. And sadly, other than not working for the DA and the loss of the jobs, the whole "outting" seems kind of weak. It just feels so background now. I just hope the show picks up ASAP before I have to stop watching it... like Smallville...

chaosrainz

[6]Mar 19, 2008
    agent_0042 wrote:
    Here's what they could do...

1. Joe - take a different job! Stop acting so lame and thinking any career other than aerospace is below you.
    2. Conserve on utilities, and enforce it with their kids too.
    3. Use Allison's psychic abilities as a direct play to make money. Sorry, Allison, it's not beneath you either.

And here's what they could have done to avoid this:

1. Established a responsible savings plan
    3. Live a more frugal lifestyle in general

The poorhouse plot is becoming beyond annoying and needs to be dropped.

You'd be surprised though at how many people think just like that in the real world.
    I remember 60 minutes or something doing a show about this "poor" family. It was an example they did on how bad the economy was.
    He had lost his job and couldn't find another one in a year and a half. Because he wouldn't take anything that didn't pay what he was making before!
    So in the meantime, he was sitting at home being depressed because he couldn't take care of his family, they had spent their savings, had no health coverage despite his wife's long term illness, they were living off credit cards and getting ready to lose their house.
    Because he wouldn't flip burgers or work 2 jobs or whatever it took.

People can be so spoiled or so stupid. I'm not sure which one it is.

agent_0042

[7]Mar 19, 2008
    Yeah. And, I mean, with Joe, it's not even burgers. If the guy works for an aerospace firm, he has math skills, he has people skills, he obviously has mad knowledge -- that skillset couldn't be applied to another field? There's nobody that will take him, even with his "psychic problem?"

chaosrainz

[8]Mar 26, 2008
    I was so glad that guy at the unemployment office finally said something to him!

EChid

[9]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 3
    agent_0042 wrote:
    And, as a reader of TV Guide pointed out, Allison drives a really nice car.

Allison drives a nice car? She drives a Volvo wagon from the '80's of net value a few hundred bucks! I actually appreciate that aspect of the show. Too often we see TV shows where money never enters into the equation.

Angeluskamps

[10]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 14
    Joe has a big car I think agent was confused. And it all don't matter now anymore. Joe is starting his own company for his invention

EChid

[11]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 3
    Joe has a Jeep Grand Cherokee (I just notice these things).

agent_0042

[12]Apr 1, 2008
    Okay, I guess it was TV Guide that got it wrong, then, either that, or I misread. I never really paid much attention to her car myself.

Allison: Tu crippling debt es mi crippling debt.
    agent_0042: (censored)

Seriously, I really hope this whole thing is over now that Joe's got the 15 grand, Allison is getting work again, and things are starting to look more hunky dory. I really don't want to hear anymore about this plotline.

eclecticvewer

[13]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 11
    agent_0042 wrote:
    Okay, I guess it was TV Guide that got it wrong, then, either that, or I misread. I never really paid much attention to her car myself.

Allison: Tu crippling debt es mi crippling debt.
    agent_0042: (censored)

Seriously, I really hope this whole thing is over now that Joe's got the 15 grand, Allison is getting work again, and things are starting to look more hunky dory. I really don't want to hear anymore about this plotline.

Couldn't agree with you more. It's annoying that they've been stressing out about money issues every week. Allison does seem to be getting back on her feet, though with Cynthia Keener out of the picture she may be in trouble again...or she might go back full time to either Devalos or Scanlon (*crosses fingers*). Interested to see where this invention plot goes.

tussikat

[14]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 5

Does anybody besides me find it a little bit ironic that you guys have dedicated an entire thread to the fact that you are bored with the topic in the thread?

not that i don't agree, cause i do, the money bit has been really boring!

netgoddess

[15]Sep 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    agent_0042 wrote:

Apparently you don't live in Phoenix area. The house they are in is old and doesn't have a lot of space.

These days you can get a 3200 square foot house for around $140k in Phoenix. That is about 2 1/2 times larger than where they live.

Aerospace engineers earn at least $80k per year. I'd be surprised if he wasn't earning six figures in his peak.

Take-home for $80k a year is 4 to 5 grand a month, probably closer to 5 with the tax exemptions for three kids. Not to mention whatever Allison was earning, probably at least half that.

So their house with probably a $100k mortgage for 30 years would be less than $700 per month. Hardly seems lavish to me.

netgoddess

[16]Sep 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    And yes, the money plot is lame. Sure they have three kids, and that is expensive to deal with. But Joe has skills and so does Allison. Even if Allison couldn't work as a psychic she could still work as a paralegal and Joe could work as a civil engineer or something. Figuring out how to build bridges isn't as fun as building spacecraft, but it isn't flipping burgers. Plus I was surprised he never called up his old boss who started the new company and wanted him as a partner. Seems like he really did have more options than he was allowing himself to be open to.

Money is easy to make you just have to think outside of the box. Which thankfully he has done with his solar cell idea.

mattgus

[17]Sep 6, 2009
    • level: 14
    SOMEONE(PRODUCTION PERSON)WAS TALKING ON A BONUS RE THE BIG HOUSES FOR TV FAMILYS...MOSTLY IT IS BECAUSE THEY NEED THE ROOM..A REAL HOUSE WOULD BE SO CRAMPED THEY WOULD HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE LOAD OF EQUIPMENT,PEOPLE LINES ETC...BUT I HAVE WONDERED THIS TOO...THE HOMES LOOK SO BIG...THEY ARE SETS...I THINK THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO REFLECT A TYPICAL FAMILY WITH TYPICAL ISSUES...MOST PROB JUST WANT TO GET ON WITH MYSTERY...MEDIUM HAS BEEN HAILED AS BEING A SHOW THAT DOES A GOOD JOB BRINGING THE FAMILT TOGETHER AND INCLUDES THEM ALL INTO THE STORIES...AT LEAST THE BONUS MATERIAL SPEAKS TO THIS...