Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Joe Dubois

Covey_WhiteGold

[1]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 1

The Children each have the Gift their Mother Allison has maybe they need to introduce a crossing where Joe finds out he's partially responsible for the children's different abilities because of his latent unknown Psychic ability.

Which leads him to strong mixed up grips of doubt and losing his mind and did I say Doubt?

He's always portrayed as the rational thinker whom has to come to grips with his five senses leading the way but suddenly this talent shows itself , manifesting and showing it wasn't't only Alison and her gift.

Maybe a uncontrollable Telekinesis that gets him in difficult situations.

Maybe he slips out of his body and goes on a Walk-About with a silver tethered misty silver thread that connects him through a rip to his physical self.

It's definitely time for his character to take a stumble and have to grip at what Alison has been trying to share a never could.

Even if they strip him of the Gift later and return him to his old self.

Just really tired of seeing him mimic the same logical thoughts after seeing what he's seen, add a little fun realism twist to the character.

Just a thought and an Opinion.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CharlesTheBold

[2]Nov 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    Question -- if his father was so ur-American, where did Joe get the British accent?

muggle421

[3]Nov 25, 2009
    • level: 13
    i agree with your opinion. It would be nice to see Joe experience Allison's physic abilities. It would give him a better understanding of what Allison and the kids go though. i dont think he should keep the gift it should be a one episode thing imo

II_Seraphim_II

[4]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 6

I disagree with the TC. That would be so stupid and it would just feel like your typical Sci-Fi story. Joe is a rational thinker, and this fact is cemented by his profession as an Aeronautics Engineer. And remember, these characters are based on true people, and only Allison claims to be Psychic. They could be more liberal with the children because they have a "psychic" mother, but Joe (IRL) has never claimed to be psychic and it would be odd if they randomly added it into the show. And Allison and Joe's relationship has "Mulder/Scully" vibe going on with it where Allison (Mulder) deals with the paranormal aspect and Joe (Scully) tries to find rational solutions to her problems. This difference in the 2 character's mind sets is what keeps the show interesting

Now, I do think you were dancing around a valid point though. I think that for a single episode or one of those 3 part episodes, Joe should gain Allison's abilities. Not due to some latent ability, but due to a current case they are working on. You know how Allison switches bodies, or Ariel gets possessed due to the case at hand? Well, what if solving this case required that Allison see the world through Joe's superior intellect, and that Joe see the world through Allison's superior intuition and senses. That could be very exciting.

Kleinke

[5]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 12
    CharlesTheBold wrote:
    Question -- if his father was so ur-American, where did Joe get the British accent?

Joe Dubois? British accent? Are we watching the same show? From one who lived in the UK for 9 years: Joe doesn't have a British accent.

purpledonkey968

[6]Dec 17, 2009
    • level: 11
    Kleinke wrote:
    CharlesTheBold wrote:

Joe Dubois? British accent? Are we watching the same show? From one who lived in the UK for 9 years: Joe doesn't have a British accent.

He was born in the UK though, as was David Cubitt (according to IMDb anyway), but neither of them have accents. They were probaby brought up in the states.

I was also thinking that would be great, even if only to give Jake Weber his own episode.

Keguri

[7]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 12
    It has been a pleasure reading this thread, definetly interesting theories and ideas! Thanks for that!