Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Medium Cancelled AND Ending Early

CSI_forever

[21]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 5

I don't understand why they would cancel it--Medium ALWAYS wins in it's time slot and demographics.

The only shows that I am a loyal viewerare: Medium and CSI.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

shimmybinny

[22]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 10
    What I am hoping for is that CBS see's how awful there other shows are doing and orders a few more episodes this season for Medium. Medium is one of the only shows were the ratings and demo's rose. last week it even beat it's season premiere. I can't even imagine another show in that timeslot.

remixbeb

[23]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 1

as much as I´d love to see more episodes I guess there´s no real hope after reading this: http://www.showbiz411.com/2010/10/28/patricia-arquette-medium-cancelled-but-she-wins-a-cool-award

agent_0042

[24]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 66
    CSI_forever - this is from the website TV By the Numbers:

"Every CBS rookie show was given a full season order! They're all sure to be renewed for next season, right? Right!?

Of course not.

In network PR land, there never is heard a discouraging word, and the skies (for all shows) are not cloudy all day*.

With all those full season pick-ups CBS will have an interesting puzzle fitting all their mid-season shows into the schedule. They made their first move today, cutting Medium's episode order to 13.

Regardless of how they do it, next Fall they'll want to bring in 4-5 hours of new scripted shows, so CBS will cancel 4-5 hours worth of scripted shows that are currently airing on their schedule to make room for new shows next season. Those 4-5 hours worth of shows will almost certainly come from the lowest rated shows in the list above, plus any low rated spring shows (with allowances for Fridays)."

Remember, Without a Trace was winning its timeslot when they canceled it. It makes no difference.
    Edited on 11/14/2010 6:00am

jack756

[25]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 14

whatever is happening i hope the writers come up with a finale b/c it seems the networkare gone burn the episodes out b/c we only got 4 more episodes i believe before its over.

stui8

[26]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 30

First GW now Medium.............................

well its odd i had a feeling this would happen just because i spent my whole summer watching seasons 1-5 because it looked like a good show that still had a long life

Edward_Nigma

[27]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 54

Hmm well it looks like Patricia confirmed the cancellation on Entertainment Weekly's website as well:

Though CBS cut the episodic order on Medium from 22 to 13 last month, the network has not said whether the drama has officially been canned. But star Patricia Arquette is saying as much: The actress told EW that "we got canceled" and the show only has two more episodes to shoot. "I was trying to get information from the writers about the last episode," Arquette told EW this weekend while attending a gala at The Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. "I don't know what it's going to be, but they're really excited about it. They're like, `we're just going to burn the whole thing down!' I'm really excited." She's not looking forward to saying goodbye, however. "It's been a great time. I love that time in my life." The CBS-owned Medium, which airs Fridays at 8 p.m., is currently averaging 7.1 million viewers.

Edited on 11/16/2010 6:58pm

jack756

[28]Nov 16, 2010
    Edward_Nigma wrote:

Hmm well it looks like Patricia confirmed the cancellation on Entertainment Weekly's website as well:

Though CBS cut the episodic order on Medium from 22 to 13 last month, the network has not said whether the drama has officially been canned. But star Patricia Arquette is saying as much: The actress told EW that "we got canceled" and the show only has two more episodes to shoot. "I was trying to get information from the writers about the last episode," Arquette told EW this weekend while attending a gala at The Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. "I don't know what it's going to be, but they're really excited about it. They're like, `we're just going to burn the whole thing down!' I'm really excited." She's not looking forward to saying goodbye, however. "It's been a great time. I love that time in my life." The CBS-owned Medium, which airs Fridays at 8 p.m., is currently averaging 7.1 million viewers.

i dont understand why cbs is doing this.cbs could have let medium finish with 16 episodes like it did with season 1 but at least the writers get a chance to end it properly(the wb cancel birds of prey,fox canel dollhouse and dark angel,abc cancel eastwick,cbs cancel ghost whisperer,nbc cancel heroes,the listener,and undercovers,a cable network cancel mutant x,i am still bitter about those shows b/c they could have went on at least one more season)

shimmybinny

[29]Nov 17, 2010
    Patricia also said they were canceled at the end of season 5.
    I know it's 99.9% dead, but is it a completely smart idea to make it a series finale, with complete closure? I honesly don't think they should aim for a complete series finale. Lets say the new mid season shows flop and they want to hold off some of the new shows for Fall '11-'12 for midseason and they just pick up a few more episodes of Medium to hold the network over? If it ends with no loose ends than it will be impossible to make any new episodes. I am not saying make a cliffhanger, but something with the possiblity of a slim to nill chance of it returning.
    That's just an idea...

agent_0042

[30]Nov 18, 2010
    shimmy, if they make something with complete closure and then they pick something else up, they could say that it was all a dream. On this show, that might actually work.

Edward_Nigma

[31]Nov 18, 2010

agent_0042 wrote:
    shimmy, if they make something with complete closure and then they pick something else up, they could say that it was all a dream. On this show, that might actually work.

Yeah and remember they already did that at the end of Season 5 when the show left NBC.

Edited on 11/18/2010 12:23pm

Edward_Nigma

[32]Nov 18, 2010
    Hmm yet another story that seems to make the cancellation official (this is from THR): Series creator Glenn Gordon Caron announced the news online: "It's true. Allison Dubois will dream her last dream on Fri 1/21. In what we believe will be a series defining episode, Allison and her family will stare destiny in the eye. And destiny will not blink.

At least now we know when the finale will air!

Lady_Lancaster

[33]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 41

I know I have been absent from this forum for ages and I apologise for that but I am really sad to learn that "Medium" has come down to this. If they were going to end it, it should have been last season. As several others have asked, will we get a proper season finale or will it just suddenly end? Frown I remember when "Dollhouse" ended, they put up double episodes to get it out of the way quickly so I have to wonder whether they will do this with "Medium" or let it run through to January/February as you said, Edward.

Patricia Arquette's interview certainly made it pretty clear that the show is over and one of the things that makes me the most angry is the fact that it was persistently aired in the terrible Friday night slot and yet was still supposed to keep up in the ratings/viewers areas/ How, exactly was it supposed to do that?

It has been one of my favourite shows since the beginning and I am going to miss it. Sure, some episodes haven't been all that great but that's the same with every show and this one certainly deserves a better ending than this.

poulters

[34]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 18

I really hate what they are doing to this show, Joe and Allison fighting, Joe seeming like he wants out of the family. Its almost like they are trying to kill this show on purpose

TudorRose

[35]Nov 22, 2010

I'm so pissed first Ghost Whisperer now Medium.

agent_0042

[36]Nov 22, 2010
    poulters, don't worry. I don't think they would do that to us; I'm almost certain they'll give us a happy ending.

Lady_Lancaster

[37]Nov 28, 2010

I'd prefer a non-happy ending personally but, given the show has children in it, I suspect it will be a happy one. It's just all most unfortunate.

shimmybinny

[38]Nov 29, 2010

poulters wrote:

I really hate what they are doing to this show, Joe and Allison fighting, Joe seeming like he wants out of the family. Its almost like they are trying to kill this show on purpose

I honestly like that Joe and Allison are fighting a little more. It makesthe show more realistic. Married couples aren't lovey dovey or that understanding 24/7, they fight and sometimes don't speak for days on end. The show stays true to making ithave abelievable family dynamic.

Edward_Nigma

[39]Nov 30, 2010
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

I'd prefer a non-happy ending personally but, given the show has children in it, I suspect it will be a happy one. It's just all most unfortunate.

Haha yes, I like the drama too! And yea since the writers knew about the cancellation soon enough, I'm pretty sure we'll at least get a proper send-off.

Lady_Lancaster

[40]Dec 1, 2010
    Edward_Nigma wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

Haha yes, I like the drama too! And yea since the writers knew about the cancellation soon enough, I'm pretty sure we'll at least get a proper send-off.

*grin* Yes, well, I think I must watch too many crime-related shows as I always prefer non-happy endings to loads of sugar and spice. Perhaps I am just a warped person? *wink*. You're right, the writers had plenty of time to come up with a good script for the last couple of episodes so I'm hoping this show gets the ending it deserves. What seems ridiculous to me is that most of the episodes so far this season have been really good and now they've almost halved the episode order AND axed the show at the same time! Ridiculous. Perhaps screening on a different night MIGHT have helped ... Shows screened on a Friday almost always do badly, no matter how good they are.