Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 4x07 "Burn Baby Burn (1)"

Edward_Nigma

[1]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 54

This episode seems interesting...let's see how it goes...

Edited on 03/17/2008 10:42pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bugmenotin

[2]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 11

here is my prediction for the next episode:

the dentist is the wife's first husband

he made the prostitute's teeth the same as the wife's to fool forensic

the burnt body is the prostitute and the wife is in barcelona

Stefan1970

[3]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 17

That was my thoughts exactly... Not sure about the first husband part, but definitely involved with the woman who is supposedly dead.

That dentist did not go and do all that dental work on that prostitute just because he's a nice guy.

I tend to think the "dead woman" is in Spain also. Why the postcard if she's not?

I also still find it hard to think of Kathy Baker playing Joe's (Jake Weber's) Mother... There is less than 15 years between them. At least Bruce Gray is more believable as Joe's Father.

pisceandreams

[4]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 40

Very good episode so far. (The acting this season is superb!) Like the previous poster said, I don't know about the dentist being the 1st husband, but I do think that the wife is alive and in Barcelona.

I will comment on both parts 1 and 2 together next week.

talkygirl

[5]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 9
    I liked the latest episode. Too bad it wasn't a two hour one but will look forward to next week

eclecticvewer

[6]Mar 11, 2008
    Loved this episode. Glad to see Scanlon and Devalos together again, and there seems to be much going on with the seemingly different murder plots. I love how everyone seems to be in on this episode, even Ariel. As I'm not one to really spend time trying to figure the plot out, I can't wait to see the next installment.

The plot with Joe's mother was great - it's always nice to see humor in a Medium episode (well, until the mother-in-law told Allison her secret, at any rate). Allison's line to Devalos and Scanlon "I've been having dreams of a dentist hiring a prostitute, and my mother-in-law is coming to visit this week. Frankly, I don't know which scares me more!" was priceless. LOL.

pgsuperfan

[7]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 25
    Looking forward to Part 2 also

NewsReader2

[8]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 1
    Dying to find out what the classical music piece was that was used to introduce the episode!!!

DB2Viewer

[9]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 1
    Where does Joe's mother live? In this episode he says to her on the phone they are "3 hours ahead". However, Phoenix is 2 hours ahead of the east coast of the US. Hum? New Brunswick, Canada? Writer doesn't know US time zones? Makes me wonder.

Whade

[10]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 9

NewsReader2 wrote:
    Dying to find out what the classical music piece was that was used to introduce the episode!!!

ya, does anyone know? that was a beautiful piece of music...

AtelierGal

[11]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 5
    The tension between Manny & Lee was uncomfortable to see...
    I hope that new DA gets kicked out soon.

mediumfanatic

[12]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 4
    DB2Viewer wrote:
    Where does Joe's mother live? In this episode he says to her on the phone they are "3 hours ahead". However, Phoenix is 2 hours ahead of the east coast of the US. Hum? New Brunswick, Canada? Writer doesn't know US time zones? Makes me wonder.
    Joe's mother lives in Florida, (this was mentioned in season one, because she mentioned moving there to get away from the cold Michigan winters) and during part of the year, Arizona is three hours BEHIND the East coast, because AZ doesn't use Daylight Savings Time. I think Joe was saying that SHE was three hours ahead of them.

mediumfanatic

[13]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 4
    AtelierGal wrote:
    The tension between Manny & Lee was uncomfortable to see...
    I hope that new DA gets kicked out soon.
    Yeah, that was tough, especially the scene in the coffee shop. But the scene at the police station when they were fighting over Allison was hilarious! Allison's expressions were priceless! Loved that. I think the new DA is on his way out. Manny is going to beat him on this case, (with Allison's help) and then he's going to kick his butt in the election. He'll be gone by the end of the season.
    Edited on 03/13/2008 4:49pm

AtelierGal

[14]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    mediumfanatic wrote:
    I think the new DA is on his way out. Manny is going to beat him on this case, (with Allison's help) and then he's going to kick his butt in the election. He'll be gone by the end of the season.

It's obvious when all you do is sit on the damn leather chair and having others do the work for you.
    And he doesn't want to be beaten by Manny. I hate him lol

Jack146

[15]Mar 16, 2008

Did I miss something? Graham Stacy went to his soon to be ex-wife's home at about 9PM where he said they fought and he left. If Owen was already getting post cards from his mother in Spain, the father had to be in on this and staged the fight to place her at the scene.

The day after the fire, we see Owen being called out of class and informed of his mother's death. Since the fire occurred at about 9PM, where was Owen sleeping the night before he went to school. He could have been at his uninvolved father's home.

If the dentist is his father, he could have been at his home but neither way makes sense.

Why would a probably well off dentist commit a murder to help his ex-wife and her new hubby? She is remarried so there is no alimony and he would not benefit from any insurance claim. The same applies if he is not the first husband, where does he benefit enough to commit murder?

Two side comments. I think this is a great show, but it didn't look like it was going to make it for the 4th season if the strike didn't happen. It all depended on how well Journey was doing in that time slot. I just hope it returns in the fall.

How long would Joe really stay married to Allison? Would you want to sleep in the same bed as someone who jumps up in bed and gasps several times a week in the middle of the night and often starts making phone calls. It will only get worse now that at least 2 out of 3 daughters popping in in the middle of the night when they have these dreams.

agent_0042

[16]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 66
    I did read in TV Guide that things are going to get worse between Allison and Joe. But I think you underestimate the power of the marriage bond. In case you didn't notice, they love each other.

chaosrainz

[17]Mar 19, 2008
    Jack146 wrote:

Did I miss something? Graham Stacy went to his soon to be ex-wife's home at about 9PM where he said they fought and he left. If Owen was already getting post cards from his mother in Spain, the father had to be in on this and staged the fight to place her at the scene.

The day after the fire, we see Owen being called out of class and informed of his mother's death. Since the fire occurred at about 9PM, where was Owen sleeping the night before he went to school. He could have been at his uninvolved father's home.

If the dentist is his father, he could have been at his home but neither way makes sense.

Why would a probably well off dentist commit a murder to help his ex-wife and her new hubby? She is remarried so there is no alimony and he would not benefit from any insurance claim. The same applies if he is not the first husband, where does he benefit enough to commit murder?

Two side comments. I think this is a great show, but it didn't look like it was going to make it for the 4th season if the strike didn't happen. It all depended on how well Journey was doing in that time slot. I just hope it returns in the fall.

How long would Joe really stay married to Allison? Would you want to sleep in the same bed as someone who jumps up in bed and gasps several times a week in the middle of the night and often starts making phone calls. It will only get worse now that at least 2 out of 3 daughters popping in in the middle of the night when they have these dreams.

No, apparently Owen's dad was her FIRST husband and they divorced when Owen was about 3. He lived with his dad and rarely saw his mother. Graham was Owen's stepfather and probably didn't see him much if he didn't see his mom often.

Graham and (forgot her name) were separated but the divorce wasn't final yet. He's the one who had the insurance policy on her and it was her lover, the dentist, who was helping to frame him and fake her death so THEY could collect the money and live in Barcelona.

Edited on 03/19/2008 7:34am

Jack146

[18]Mar 20, 2008

chaosrainz wrote:
    No, apparently Owen's dad was her FIRST husband and they divorced when Owen was about 3. He lived with his dad and rarely saw his mother. Graham was Owen's stepfather and probably didn't see him much if he didn't see his mom often.

OK, I did miss something. I knew the 1st husband was Owen's father but didn't know about him living with the 1st and not seeing very much of the mother for years.

chaosrainz wrote:
    Graham and (forgot her name) were separated but the divorce wasn't final yet. He's the one who had the insurance policy on her and it was her lover, the dentist, who was helping to frame him and fake her death so THEY could collect the money and live in Barcelona.

That makes perfect sense, the dentist being future hubby number three and Owen and hubbies one and two are innocent.

Jack146

[19]Mar 20, 2008

agent_0042 wrote:
    I did read in TV Guide that things are going to get worse between Allison and Joe. But I think you underestimate the power of the marriage bond. In case you didn't notice, they love each other.

I think they all did at one time or another.

chaosrainz

[20]Mar 26, 2008
    Jack146 wrote:

chaosrainz wrote:

OK, I did miss something. I knew the 1st husband was Owen's father but didn't know about him living with the 1st and not seeing very much of the mother for years.

chaosrainz wrote:

That makes perfect sense, the dentist being future hubby number three and Owen and hubbies one and two are innocent.

I'm surprised I caught it but I had been wondering about that too. It was only clearly mentioned in the 2nd ep I think.