Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 4x12 "Partners in Crime"

Edward_Nigma

[1]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 54

So busy with school I have to tape this one. Yuck.

I hope it's a good episode, only a few more left this season!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jra3209

[2]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 15
    Did they start working on the show after the strike or just decide to begin work on Season 5?

eclecticvewer

[3]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 11
    Edward_Nigma wrote:

So busy with school I have to tape this one. Yuck.

You can watch full episodes on the network website. They usually post 'em by the next week. But taping works too, just letting you know.

And this episode seems pretty good so far. Man, how desensitized can you get - Allison calls up Scanlon and tells him that she saw the dead guy's ghost, and all he says is "Ok, what do we do now?" LOL. I don't know why, found that particularly funny.

I don't know, I don't like this investor lady being so buddy-buddy with Joe. "You're going to make me drink alone?" Come on, you know there's gonna be some plot where she comes on to him or something happens that causes a fight between Joe and Allson. Which bites, because I love them as a couple.

Edited on 04/14/2008 8:43pm

Edward_Nigma

[4]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 54
    Thanks eclecticvewer. I know they're on the site, but I wanted to have it taped so I could watch it first thing tomorrow (and go through the subs earlier on that way). But I watched it anyways...and finished my homework assignment just before midnight when it was due lol.

Pretty good episode. I also don't like the investor lady's relationship with Joe. His intuition made him think she was looking out for his best interests? Um whatever, she's gonna screw him over, she probably just flirted with him to get him to agree to the deal haha. I thought Allison was a bit too harsh on Kurtwood Smith. I mean, at least he only wanted to kill a serial killer...and only because he knew he was gonna kill again! Yea she can not agree, but to say he's a horrible man and stuff, that's a bit much.

Stefan1970

[5]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 17

Not sure what to think of Meghan Doyle just yet. She seems a little too sly for my liking. There are definitely some ulterior motives. I think she's trying to scam Joe out of his invention... But you just know that the whole Meghan/Joe partnership is going to cause all kinds of havoc in the DuBois household. I was a taken back a bit when Joe actually fell for her "you're not going to let me drink alone" line. Joe, Joe, Joe... I thought you were wiser than that.

Bridgette's line about "sittin' on 26 bucks that could make a difference" was priceless. They do seem to give her some of the most memorable lines at times. She is almost like the comic relief to lighten the mood when things get a little too serious.

Now, I was happy to see Kurtwood "Red Foreman" Smith back. It certainly left it open for Agent Cooper to appear every now and again and chat it up with Allison about whatever case she is trying to solve. But, will she ever be able to trust that the info she's being fed by him is not just a load of horse muffins?

When is the slimy DA Van Dyke finally going to get what's coming to him?

Overall, not too bad of an episode. I am interested to see how they build things up over the next episode and into the season finale.

Cheers!

TesserT

[6]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 78
    I just hope Joe was smart enough to apply for a patent on his idea before he signed the papers. That way the patent would be in his name & not the joint venture - meaning he could take it with him if the "partnership" dissolves. Otherwise she could "kick" him out & keep his invention.

talkygirl

[7]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 9
    Thy started before the strike

bainan

[8]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 3

I don't like the shortcut to more storylines they are using by bringing in a woman for cheap marital problem shake-ups.

While I love the family side of Medium and want them to always include it's quirks...I think it suits everyone better if the show avoids the soap opera "other woman" as a story arc and avoids making even more drama on the family side the creative focus for the show.

Plus, didn't Joe have a broken wrist and 15K to use to do what he needed to get his invention started? Why all of a sudden is he healed and needing a Venture Capitalist to fund his invention and better yet potentially "steal" his invention?

I am just not enjoying the "other woman" addition to the story which will likely fill season 5. (I hope that I am wrong.) Please go back to the Devalos and Detective Scanlon working again with Allison story arc and finish the season bringing the old days back in some degree or at least allude to their return in Season 5. We don't need another near success but failure in getting Joe his career back to fill the plotlines and especially not a titillating potential marital affair. We -as an audience- love that family and don't like seeing more things go wrong for them than necessary.

I think your audience is better served with more terrific who-dunnits solved by Allison through the clues from her dreams and not anymore struggles at home to deal with. America really does relate with monogamy, give us a chance.

Edited on 04/15/2008 9:52am
    Edited 5 total times.

SVU_number_1fan

[9]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 17
    yea i liked it finaly they brought ariela back lol from her 2 wk absance but last wks was wayy better but id di like this wk it was ok

pgsuperfan

[10]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 25
    Yup not sure about the investor woman might be trouble interesting how Cooper got killed to help Allison

derbone

[11]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 8
    I don't think it will be the "other woman" story, but rather the story of an investor taking advantage of an inventor...this will be the source of drama between joe and his new "partner".

TesserT

[12]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 78
    derbone wrote:
    I don't think it will be the "other woman" story, but rather the story of an investor taking advantage of an inventor...this will be the source of drama between joe and his new "partner".
    I think you're probably right. The family is the basis for this drama - the family is what keeps Allison grounded. I see business as the source of probs for Joe & a fight for control of his invention. The fact that he signed with the venture capitalist after he told Allison that he'd look elsewhere will prove to be troublesome. Like I said earlier, just hope he applied for his patent first.

eclecticvewer

[13]Apr 16, 2008
    Actually, you know what, I thought about it, and I'm with bainan. Why DIDN'T Joe have a cast on his arm?! And why DOES Joe suddenly need money again? I thought we solved the problem of start up costs with the money he was getting from the bank. Are we supposed to think that this is later in the process and Joe needs more money? Securing more funds for the future, maybe? I don't really get that part.

But dang it, he should have a cast on his arm.

pisceandreams

[14]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 40

I think this was a great episode, as it introduced a possible collaboration between Allison and Cooper (I like his character) that could be interesting in future episodes.

I don't think that the show is going the Meghan-as-the-other-woman route, like someone else said, it's probably a case of an investor taking advantage of an inventor. I guess we'll have to wait and see where it goes (although it sounds like it will wrap up this season considering Kelly Preston is part of a 4-episode arc). I doubt her storyline will continue into season 5.

I like DA Van Dyke rather, I like disliking him. I like that he's lingering because it's giving the audience more reason to dislike him and his eventual resolution (whatever that may entail) will be all the more gratifying because by then he will have shown more than enough ignorance. Sure, I like Davalos and I'm glad he's still on the show, but I'm not dying for the Davalos-DuBois-Scanlon trio to come back together just yet. I'm really enjoying season 4 for its unique, fresh approach.

As for the whole $15,000 settlement, what else is there to say about it in another episode? It was great for their financial situation, but for a family of 5 in 2008, it's not like it would last very long. Also, it wouldn't be enough for Joe to do anything with his invention, thus he would need additional support. I think the idea of the $$ was to supply a means for the family to live on for a little while until either Joe or Allison gets a paying job again. If the incident with the settlement hadn't occurred people would be on the forum asking where the DuBois family is getting their money.

eclecticvewer

[15]Apr 16, 2008
    pisceandreams wrote:

IAs for the whole $15,000 settlement, what else is there to say about it in another episode? It was great for their financial situation, but for a family of 5 in 2008, it's not like it would last very long. Also, it wouldn't be enough for Joe to do anything with his invention, thus he would need additional support. I think the idea of the $$ was to supply a means for the family to live on for a little while until either Joe or Allison gets a paying job again. If the incident with the settlement hadn't occurred people would be on the forum asking where the DuBois family is getting their money.

That does make sense. It's just last episode, they made it seem like "Oh, we have the money now, everything is fine and dandy." Joe even said that while he wanted 30K, he may have been overshooting and could do it with 15K...implying that he was planning on using the money solely for the invention. But whatev, that was the only line throwing me off, because it does make sense that he would need an investor.

pisceandreams

[16]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 40

Another thought is that the $15,000 settlement may have been an oversight. It ocurred in Wicked Game (2) which was a pre-strike ep and "Partners in Crime" was filmed much later. Also, perhaps they had intended for another episode or two to fall between "Wicked Games" and "Partners in Crime" but because of the strike-shortened season, they had to scrap some things.

Either way, it's a minor point. It's not like someone was killed off and whoops, they're back again!

eclecticvewer

[17]Apr 17, 2008
    pisceandreams wrote:

Another thought is that the $15,000 settlement may have been an oversight. It ocurred in Wicked Game (2) which was a pre-strike ep and "Partners in Crime" was filmed much later. Also, perhaps they had intended for another episode or two to fall between "Wicked Games" and "Partners in Crime" but because of the strike-shortened season, they had to scrap some things

That's what I thought might have happened, actually. Maybe it was fine to write that plotline off so quick in Wicked Games, before the strike and impromtu shortened season, but now they're back and needed a quick family plot arc? Who knows. I know it's not important, but those little details tend to bother me once they're brought to my attention.

:
    Either way, it's a minor point. It's not like someone was killed off and whoops, they're back again!

In this show, just because a character is killed off doesn't mean they can't be back again, lol.

Edited on 04/17/2008 7:00am

SeerMagicX

[18]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 16
    the 15k was to built a prototype and to have it tested so he could prove that it works. finding someone to back the project is next, and that's what happened in this episode.

netgoddess

[19]Sep 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    I thought Allison was a bit harsh on Cooper's vigilantism. Last time I checked she was PRO-death penalty. If Allison brought the man to death row how is that any different really than Cooper's swifter version of the same justice? Granted, in real life one would definitely want to give the accused a fair trial before playing executioner. But if dead Cooper really could see the future, he actually saved the life of the penitentiary nurse by speeding up the inevitable.