Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 5x02 "Things to Do in Phoenix When You're Dead"

marvelfan89

[1]Feb 12, 2009
    • level: 39
    Really interesting episode with the whole flatlining thing. Promos showed the episode possibly being about a ghost but it turned out to be much more than that. LMAO at Ariel being so high but knew there had to be more to it than that. Joe eventually straightened that kid who was partnered with her.
    Edited on 02/16/2009 1:24am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Feb 12, 2009
    • level: 66
    Hmm. So... things to do in Phoenix when you're dead. Well, if you're a certain doctor, apparently you spy on people with money and then try to extort them with the help of a pretty partner. This was one of those cases where the ending wasn't so clear-cut. The doctor is something of a sympathetic character because of the fact that he was dying with a tumor, and yet he kinda erased some of that when he let himself be pressured by his partner in crime into doing the whole thing again. Who then turns around and takes him off the hook for good. In any case, very well-structured episode on the whole, particularly around the mystery department. I suppose it should have been a clue of some sort when the guy didn't have a stronger reaction to Allison talking to him as if he were dead, but I rarely pick up on stuff like that...

marvelfan89 wrote:
    LMAO at Ariel being so high but knew there had to be more to it than that. Joe eventually straightened that kid who was partnered with her.

It's sort of like the "naked vibe" from last week-- except that while Joe was wrong in that episode about the teacher giving off a "naked vibe," it would seem he was dead on this time about Ariel's project partner giving off a "pot vibe." I thought the scene in which he told him off and made him finish the rest of the assignment was awesome.

Edward_Nigma

[3]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 54
    I liked the end...I thought Allison did a good job giving that lady what she deserved. I'm not sure if Allison from a few seasons ago would have done something like that though.

And yeah Ariel high was definitely funny.

pisceandreams

[4]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 40

This was a HIGHly enjoyable episode! (Sorry, pardon the pun!) I'm impressed with the script-writing thus far this season and this episode is a fine example of it. I found the flatlining story to be unique and intriguing, with the payoff being quite entertaining. I agree with you, Edward_Nigma, that the Allison of a few years ago might not have had the balls to confront the woman who was in on the scam, but I'm glad to see Allison is evolving and getting thicker-skinned.

The b-story with Ariel's vicarious drug use was amusing, particularly watching Sofia act like she's stoned! LOL! =)