Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 5x03 "A Person of Interest"

Edward_Nigma

[1]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 54

Alright I actually remembered to make the topic finally.

I'm still waiting for a "whoa, that was great" episode this season...maybe this one will be it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

eclecticvewer

[2]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 11
    I know, this season has been a little lackluster so far. Still good, but not, as you put it - "whoa, that was great." I'm a little disappointed, so I'm hoping that this ep will make me put down my psychology book (not that it takes much) and stare at the screen with my mouth hanging open.

dds_rules

[3]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 7
    eclecticvewer wrote:
    I know, this season has been a little lackluster so far. Still good, but not, as you put it - "whoa, that was great." I'm a little disappointed, so I'm hoping that this ep will make me put down my psychology book (not that it takes much) and stare at the screen with my mouth hanging open.
    The beginning of the episode before the title card, should do it. I found the last scene the most provoking, and I am still thinking about it even though it has nothing to plot besides talking about impulses. Viva la vida made it fun too.
    Edited on 02/16/2009 7:53pm

tvismyescape22

[4]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 13
    Patricia Arquette's son is in this episode! He plays the son in the flashbacks! I didn't know that until I saw it on TV Guide.com.

Here it is:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Patricia-Arquettes-Son-1002888.aspx

It's also her first time directing.

eclecticvewer

[5]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 11
    I liked it! It's not as amazing as some of the other episodes, but definitely the best one so far this season. The whole scene with Joe realizing that Allison was building a bomb was priceless, the poor guy. Overall it was a really good episode, but for some reason the music bothered me, it seemed...corny, maybe? I think it just came on too suddenly or something.

mediumfanatic

[6]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 4
    I loved this episode! That was definitely a "WOW! That was great!" episode in my book. Patricia Arquette did an amazing job, both directing and acting in this one. Allison's confusion over her "obsession" and her pain at endangering her family was powerful stuff. And Joe freaking out about her building a bomb in their house was great. The scene when he flipped out on her was great, because it was almost like he wasn't even looking at his wife. He may as well have been looking at a total stranger, and all he could think about was that that person was endangering HIS children. He looked like he could very easily have strangled Allison as looked at her. And Patricia's son did a great job in this episode too. He was the younger version of Joe's new partner, and his portrayal of an abused child was touching and powerful. Again, great directing by Patricia in those scenes. She did an awesome job for her first time out. Hope to see her do more in the future.

haldrey

[7]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 22
    The eps was great, not at the very top but great, but the season is just starting. I like the ending. It was nice to see Allison show a little compassion, sometime she is very cold and straightforward.
    Edited on 02/17/2009 8:08am

icegoddess5

[8]Feb 18, 2009
    • level: 1
    This episode was pretty good! I did really want a BIG twist at the end but this one wasn't what I wanted exactly...
    I love this show though! It only keeps getting more and more intriguing!
    Patricia Arquette did a really good job at directing as well!
    I would not have picked the boy to be her son at all! wow!

marvelfan89

[9]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 39
    It was entertaining but liked the other episodes more beacuse of the twists involved.. This was a fairly straight forward episode with a common theme about abuse. For a directing debut it was more than decent. Nicely done.
    Edited on 02/19/2009 2:19am

MizzGMC23

[10]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 19
    Excellent Direction for a Directorial debut. There were aspects of the episode I loved - the portrayal of mindless obsession was good. I used to obsessively fiddle with my hair, often not completely consciously knowing I was doing it so I "get" that she could become immersed in it. Patricia Arquette's Direction appears to be taking Allison in a new direction (if that makes sense) that I like. Since when (in Medium) has personal guilt and justification by deflection (my Dad set it off I just built it) been enough to let the perpetrator get away with mass murder? If he was that damaged as a kid wouldn't you be concerned that he had the potential to do the same again under exceptional circumstances? (What if his "new" family were wiped out?) Upon saying that though I liked the departure and this episode gave me the feeling that something else is brewing - maybe the awaited "wow" episode/storyline?

agent_0042

[11]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 66
    MizzMGMC23 wrote:
    Since when (in Medium) has personal guilt and justification by deflection (my Dad set it off I just built it) been enough to let the perpetrator get away with mass murder? If he was that damaged as a kid wouldn't you be concerned that he had the potential to do the same again under exceptional circumstances?

Well, it really isn't enough, but the thing is-- Allison couldn't prove it. Maybe if she could, it would be different, but in this case, she just wasn't led to any actual evidence that could prove that the guy was the one who had built the bomb.