Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 5x11/5x12 "The Devil Inside" (Parts 1 & 2)

Edward_Nigma

[1]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 54
    Okay now this looks like a good 2-parter! Looks better than that 3-parter coming up, in my opinion. Let's hope it delivers.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 66
    Erm.. have the writers been dipping into old DVDs of the second season of Tru Calling? Because the plotline they started up on this one reminds me a lot of Tru Davies vs. Jack Harper from that show. Though that was a continuing thing and this apparently is only to be two episodes. Interesting.

Good episode, though. So a crazy man has invaded Allison's dreams, thinking he's on a mission from God and he's going to stop Allison. On other shows, things generally end when the guy dies, but here, I guess it's just getting started. Looking forward to next week...

(P.S.: So I guess starting in a couple weeks from now, we're going to be getting Medium twice a night. That should be kinda fun. I really wonder what they're going to do once this whole Leno thing starts up.)
    Edited on 04/20/2009 8:47pm

mediumfanatic

[3]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 4
    This episode was fan-freakin'-tastic!! It was easily one of the best eps of the season! Very scary and twisty! I can't wait till next week to see how this one ends!

chaosrainz

[4]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 17
    The only thing I didn't like about it was she was back to that old, "I KNOW it happened because I SAW it in my dream" stuff.
    After what 5 years or so, she hasn't figured out her dreams aren't always literal? And neither has anybody else?
    Are these people stupid? lol

I wish they'd ditch that attitude and learn how to start piecing these things together.
    That may even make it more challenging for the viewer. I usually have it figured out by the second commercial break as it is.

I really like the show, sometimes it just frustrates me.

agent_0042

[5]Apr 21, 2009
    No, you're right, it's a problem with the attitude of the characters of both Allison and Manuel Devalos. Allison should know they aren't always literal and Manny should realize that it's probably not all going to come right away, or it may take some work to figure it out.

marvelfan89

[6]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 39
    I think Allison is the one that really believes they are literal. Devalos and Joe usually need some convincing along with Scanlon. I will agree about Allison. It's so much fun though when she believes it right at the bat and puts a lot of emotion into it. Otherwise it be like "yeah I had another dream but it probably doesn't mean anything so what else is new". I thought it was good. How many times has Allison being stalked? This can't be the first time?
    Edited on 04/21/2009 8:40pm

TesserT

[7]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 75
    The openers to eps this season all give me an eerie feeling as to what happens next - they have me sitting on the edge waiting & listening. I knew when the tow truck drove up this wasn't going to be like adventures in babysitting! Pretty good episode all around. Although letting a extra man into the house with groceries seems odd given that they knew Alison's stalker would be looking for any opportunity to get to her. I know I really like dead people talking to Allison but wow what a nightmare this wacko is. Should be interesting to see how she gets rid of him - 'cause with him, her dreams aren't reliable. Where's Joe's dad when you need him? Looking forward to part 2 next week. And what about Marie's paper dolls cut out of the financial section?

shimmybinny

[8]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 10
    I enjoyed this episode. The second part looks amazing. They never had a real man that died and came back from the afterlife and stalk her. I wonder how she will kill him off? I also thought it was weird that Marie was cutting out paper dolls? Do you think it stands for something?

tvismyescape22

[9]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 13
    This was a great episode! Lucas Harvey is very creepy.

and in tonight's episode, showing up to Bridget? OMG! Scary!

agent_0042

[10]Apr 27, 2009
    TesserT, shimmy -- very astute. Turns out the paper dolls were important.

TesserT wrote:
    Should be interesting to see how she gets rid of him - 'cause with him, her dreams aren't reliable. Where's Joe's dad when you need him?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too when I was watching tonight's episode. But, basically, I kinda got the feeling that seeing as he's not the only ghost, eventually one or more of them were going to put a stop to him. Nice ending.

Bionetic

[11]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 8
    We found out what the paper dolls stand for, but I think the paper dolls have a double meaning. It may reflect the idea that were all dolls being moved by the spirits. This episode was so chalk full of metaphorical depth revolving around ideas like, be care full who you let into your house (and how that effects your dreams) to 'houses' buying other 'houses'. I'd get into it more but it'd just take to long.

TesserT

[12]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 75
    Part 2 was an excellent continuation. Towards the end though Lucas was becoming irritating more than scary. The ghosts of past victims terminating Lucas' hauntings was perfect - ghosts get rid of ghosts. They came to Allison's rescue when she asked for help & they set things right again. Poor Joe just when he's ready to be up he's down again - he keeps missing those financial windfalls. Will be interesting to see how his business plays out & what future talents Marie develops. I think the paper dolls were just leads to stock market tips & nothing more - like Allison can't always interpret her dreams, Marie didn't have a clue what she was seeing in the dolls. Lucas appearing to Bridgette was scary but funny about lying to get out of gym. I wonder, could she see the ghosts Allison sees if she were in the room at the same time.

Stitllams

[13]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 6

I kept thinking of Marcus out of the Underworld series everytime I saw Lucas Harvey.

Great two parter, bit stink that the financials didn't pan out, but they can't really have windfalls like that, the writers wouldn't allow it.

Sure am glad I waited a week so I could watch both parts together, not sure I will be able to do that for the three parter.

sft728

[14]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 5
    This is such a great episode! I loved the part that the dead girls dragged Harvey down to hell. That was really eerie and creepy, though it felt good in the end! Wow! That's why we need more Medium!

haldrey

[15]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 22
    Superb episodes, both parts. It looks like all the girls lean toward the mother side, poor Joe he needs a boy, but apparently Joe is always destined to be the underdog. Loved the ending, kind of 'Ghost Whisperer' type.

APS221

[16]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 2
    Hello. I posted this on IMDb, and I wanted to add it to the trivia section, but I'm not a high enough level. There were a couple of continuity errors in this episode mentioned in the trivia section. First, it appears two prop envelopes were used. The writing on them is clearly different. The first envelope used during the voice over before the opening theme:
    The ZIP code is 88061, which is Silver City, NM. When Allison is at her desk going through the mail, the envelope seen is different. The ZIP code is 85061, which is Phoenix, AZ.
    According to the USPS ZIP code lookup, the 85061 ZIP code is used only for PO boxes. The other continuity error in the episode mentioned in the trivia section is when Allison writes down the license plate number. Not only is the handwriting different, the pen used is different. In close-up it is red and white. In the long shots, it is blue.

APS221

[17]May 2, 2009

I made screencaps of the two envelopes.

http://g.imagehost.org/0833/Medium511-001A.jpg

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0447/Medium511-002A.jpg

I'm not sure how to make the links clickable.

Edited on 05/02/2009 12:01am
    Edited 6 total times.

Edward_Nigma

[18]May 4, 2009
    • level: 54

Hmm...I'm way behind here...I liked Part 1 better than Part 2 -- I think Part 2 was a let-down, and the ghost wasn't so scary really.

And APS221 someone submitted your goofs if you didn't see on the guide...but I can't recall who though.

Edited on 05/04/2009 2:00pm

APS221

[19]May 14, 2009

I checked, and it doesn't appear that the goof has been changed. It hasn't been changed to mention that the envelope had two different ZIP codes. The first view of the envelope, before the opening theme/credits, show the 88061 (New Mexico) ZIP code. After the opening credits, when Allison read the letter at her desk, the writing on the envelope is different. It shows the ZIP code 85061 (Arizona).