Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 6x04 "The Medium is the Message"

Edward_Nigma

[1]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 54
    Not such creative episode titles so far this season...but the episodes themselves are good so far...let's keep up the trend!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 66
    The plot for this seems to have been ripped directly from the headlines-- Libra Killer = Zodiac Killer, obviously, but it was still fun to watch. I thought the sequence where Allison was seeing all the signs as being symbols was particularly well done.

The whole thing with Joe and his new job was a pretty interesting plot. Except one thing-- if Joe is an inventor, then it seems to me that he shouldn't have gotten so worked up about having a big block of time that is basically just being handed to him to do whatever he wants. Why not use that time to, oh, I don't know... invent something? The only reason I can think of not to would be if he thought that there was a chance that anything he did at the company could still be monitored and someone could steal his idea, or try to stake a claim on it, him being an employee of the company.

marvelfan89

[3]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 39
    I thought the Joe plot to be comical. I mean he could blow the whistile on what this guy is doing or just sit there and do nothing while collecting the money. It seems that he won't just be a regular employee and will be involved more than what the boss thought he would. Allison story was yeah taken from Zodiac but still fun to watch.

netgoddess

[5]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 10
    I did like Joe's plot a lot this episode, it was realistic. I have been in situations like that where I was getting paid $90k a year to basically sit on my ass surf the web and IMing with my friends 8 hours a day waiting around for if someone maybe needed something...it bored the hell out of me but it also was the kickstart I needed to start my own business. Also Joe's boss sort of reminds me of myself, being able to basically do a team's worth of work without trying too hard and and how he was frustrated with the ineptitude of the people around him. If Joe was more of a lone wolf entrepreneur and less of a team player he'd be thrilled to have this opportunity to have his inventions subsidized until he could break off on his own again. But it makes for more interesting TV to have him try to become the super-genius' sidekick.
    Edited on 10/19/2009 12:59am

agent_0042

[6]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 66
    I think you actually have it analyzed pretty well. I was wondering why he didn't just use the time to invent something, but the truth is, his nature is that he needs to be working alongside someone else.