Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 6x07 "New Terrain"

Edward_Nigma

[1]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 54

I'm still waiting for a "wow" episode this season (other than the premiere was strong)...we need a good November sweep episode!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

netgoddess

[2]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    Why do they call it a "sweep"? I don't get what that is supposed to mean.

I thought this episode was pretty good; I liked Ariel's story and the girl from Lie To Me.

The part I thought was weak was the girl leaving her address in the car's navigation system, and Allison retrieving the CD from the seats without wearing gloves. But the bank robbery was an interesting twist with the robber being the bomb squad guy. This isn't a blow-you-away episode but it was decent enough for a filler.

chuckdreyfuski

[3]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 25
    The episodes this season have been steadily decent, but nothing really stands out yet, including this one. I recognized Emily Lightman right away. She was in United States of Tara too. It's a pretty good little storyline for Ariel.

agent_0042

[4]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 66
    Yeah, it wasn't blow you away but I did think it was decent. Why do they call it a "sweep" or "sweep"? Well, I looked it up and apparently it refers to the keeping of diaries for the Nielsen system. After the given period, the diaries are said to be "swept" up and then used to analyze the data to determine ratings figures.

CharlesTheBold

[5]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 7

Some nice character touches in this episode. Even though she lied about who was driving, the Faith Prince character did accept responsibility for the insurance, instead of trying to cheat the DuBois family. She's not a total villain.

Allison's daughter immediately searches for physical evidence (the location of the bruise) that the mother was lying, instead of falling back on her vision. Allison could learn from her.

I thought the ending was far too rushed -- wrapup in about two minutes. We don't know why the bomb expert turned crooked, what his relationship was with the Big Hat girl, how he persuaded the two criminals to go along with the scheme. For that matter I wasn't clear on how Allison proved it -- what was on Big Hat Girl's CD that convinced the district attorney? And why didn't she make a better search once she was away from the scene of the crime, if it was incriminating?

Is this Eavesdropping Machine one of those ideas that goes away after one episode, like the Truth Buzzer did last year?

haldrey

[7]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 22
    Medium is a consistently good show, usually interesting and with very good storyline. It is not given to product spectacularly good episodes but also I do not remember seeing a spectacularly bad one. One thing I was glad to see in this episode, goodbye to the Volvo.

agent_0042

[8]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 66
    CharlesTheBold wrote:
    Is this Eavesdropping Machine one of those ideas that goes away after one episode, like the Truth Buzzer did last year?

I get the feeling you're exactly right about that. I'm not expecting to see this particular mechanism again.

pgsuperfan

[9]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 25
    Gee where can I get a car like that GMC lol ?

TesserT

[10]Nov 8, 2009
    • level: 74
    agent_0042 wrote:
    Why do they call it a "sweep" or "sweep"? Well, I looked it up and apparently it refers to the keeping of diaries for the Nielsen system. After the given period, the diaries are said to be "swept" up and then used to analyze the data to determine ratings figures.
    Normally Nielsen collects ratings data from select "Nielsen households" via meter data transmitted from the home to Nielsen but during "sweeps" Nielsen also collects & processes data from 1.6 million handwritten paper diaries from households across the country. Sweeps occurs 3-4 times per year.