Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 7x13 "Me Without You" (Series Finale)

Was the finale a good send-off for the show?

wildhoney66

[21]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 13

1st this SHOULD have been a 2 hrs. finale. kinda like how 'Buffy' & "Angel" NEEDED to be a 2 hr. series finale as well. but got screwed out of that by the network. also i don't the think producers had anything to do with the order of the season it was "CBS" i believe.

it's funny how in this season "Alison" was suppose to be in 'Law School" they cut that cause of the episode order i think. but i agree, the girls weren't in it enough. though the girl who played "Maria" as a teenager didn't look much like her. i don't honestly care for that. who knows maybe she will be looking somewhat like that when she's 14 in what 7 years from now. also what the hell happend to "Lee' ? he wasn't in this season that much at all.

it was nice he got to be the chief of detectives & that "Devalas" or however ya spell his name won the election. but they didn't really say what happend to alison at all. before they killed her of course. it showed pics of her family yes. i kinda get that the actress who playes "Ariel" wasn't in it that much cause she's in college now. that i understand. but the other girls SHOULD have been in it longer as well!

also it's really never bothered me that the show has gone off the track on the real family. i've always thought that it stays somewhat on track of it. but since i don't really know about that family i dunno how much it stuck to it. but why kill "Joe? it's just plain stupid & bad writing if ya ask me. the scenes of the cast were nice. & the scene where she meets him at the end was nice too. i'll give you that. but having joe be alive than we find out he's dead was just plain stupid. actually i thought after we saw joe right next to her hugging him,

that he was going to say Alison, that's not me, that's a guy that mob guy who's name i forget at the moment, paid to have my face. this is me.

not telling her he's fawking dead! this is a show that i did think they would have put more thought into it. my guess the darkness was suppose to be joe dying perhaps? i will dearly miss this show. i've been a fan of "Jake Weber" since he did 'American Gothic" way back in (1995)!

& i'll still stay a fan of his. & the rest of the cast. but like i said when they wrote that joe died, they must have been smoking some good crack cause that's the ONLY reason anyone would want to write that! sorry about my ramblings here. it just pisses me off that's all

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RainbowBrite

[22]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 3
    Why was Maria Lark (Bridgette) not in this episode except for the "goodbye cast" shots? Is it just that they didn't think they could "age her up" enough? I think that's ridiculous as Ariel looked just the same. I think it's kind of an insult to her character and to the actress to not even give her a brief moment in the finale. Even Lynn was in the last episode though they didn't show her in the departing cast. And they didn't mention Lynn & Lee's daughter Lee either. But I'm downright upset about Bridgette not being included.

As for the ending it was a very bewildering moment. Allison needed to wake up and stop the jet or something... this was just the most depressing ending there could have been. You don't kill off your main characters... I mean you look back at Family Ties or the Cosby Show and you imagine the Keatons and the Huxtables going on with life, not dead.

Yes it's nice Allison got to live so long and had a successful career, and I have to wonder which daughter had a kid who named her kid Glimmer... but COME ON a happy ending with Joe living to see his grandkids and great-grandkids with Allison would have been so much better.

That said, the cast is spectacular. I can't imagine Patricia Arquette playing anyone else but I hope to see her and the rest of the cast in future movies and TV shows. Sofia Vassilieva was awesome in My Sister's Keeper and I think she has a great career ahead of her.

Watashii

[23]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 2

Bridgette was on the very first scene along with Maria discussing about the law books Allison had. But I do agree that the girls barely had any screen time. I still do not like the ending because it was just depressing. It was a good run though.

tv_Rescue911

[24]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 50
    This episode was too out of character for the show; I just couldn't get into it. I'm usually not a fan of the "whole episode was a dream" approach, but past episodes of this type have at least amounted to something in the end. This one did not. It didn't really feel like a proper series finale. Rather, it felt like they took a midseason script that was lying around and made some quick revisions to it when they heard they were getting cancelled.

I felt that because this was the series finale, that all the characters needed a proper send-off, not just Allison and Joe. I realize that Allison's dream served to show us what became of everyone in seven years, but I think it could have taken up half the episode and still served its purpose. The whole story line with Joe surviving the plane crash was extraneous, especially given that they only had ~42 minutes of screen time to wrap up the entire series. I think it would have done the show more justice to have condensed the dream and Joe's visit to Allison down to the first half of the episode, and then to have the rest of the episode devoted to how the Dubois family put their lives back together following Joe's Death. I feel that the "Forty-one years later" ending would have been more rewarding if they had given the reality of Joe's death more than 30 seconds to sink in before they jumped to the epilogue.

As it was, I didn't think the episode was very effective. I didn't think killing a major character would work for the show to begin with; I was somewhat disappointed that the writers felt they needed to play that card for the finale, but they still could have pulled it off if they had done it right. Instead, they created a fine example of poor time management.
    Edited on 01/22/2011 4:09am

Genzie

[25]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 12
    Yes, the ending was sad, but somehow I realy liked the finale. Better than the always happy endings most shows get or endings that just don't fit the show. Yes, Medium has been about her family ; but also about death and how life hits you. And something like this could happen in real life. I'd never expected them to kill Joe off since I seriously thought they'd kill Allison again. So shortly put : I'm happy with the finale. Just missed Bridgette. RIP Medium, but I will still watch it on dvd!

neokid0298

[26]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 8
    tv_Rescue911 wrote:
    This episode was too out of character for the show; I just couldn't get into it. I'm usually not a fan of the "whole episode was a dream" approach, but past episodes of this type have at least amounted to something in the end. This one did not. It didn't really feel like a proper series finale. Rather, it felt like they took a midseason script that was lying around and made some quick revisions to it when they heard they were getting cancelled.

I felt that because this was the series finale, that all the characters needed a proper send-off, not just Allison and Joe. I realize that Allison's dream served to show us what became of everyone in seven years, but I think it could have taken up half the episode and still served its purpose. The whole story line with Joe surviving the plane crash was extraneous, especially given that they only had ~42 minutes of screen time to wrap up the entire series. I think it would have done the show more justice to have condensed the dream and Joe's visit to Allison down to the first half of the episode, and then to have the rest of the episode devoted to how the Dubois family put their lives back together following Joe's Death. I feel that the "Forty-one years later" ending would have been more rewarding if they had given the reality of Joe's death more than 30 seconds to sink in before they jumped to the epilogue.

As it was, I didn't think the episode was very effective. I didn't think killing a major character would work for the show to begin with; I was somewhat disappointed that the writers felt they needed to play that card for the finale, but they still could have pulled it off if they had done it right. Instead, they created a fine example of poor time management.

You are absolutely right.

Although I liked how they decided to finally kill off someone, as I had been expecting it to happen for a bit

saraint

[27]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 6

Firstly, I didn't know this was the final episode either. It was a slap, no a thwack, kick and spit in the face! I hated it. The actors in this show have been fantastic. I can't believe they were given this awful material at the culmination of the show. This last episode was in insult to all of them. I can't believe that this episode was written by anyone that gave a damn about Medium. Everyone involved deserved more. This wasn't some shoddy production and deserved a fitting send-off. I bet at the end the actors would have liked to have given a different gesture to the camera aimed at the network!

I have loved this series and most of all the relationship between Joe and Allison. Jake Weber has played that role so well. I hope to see him again soon in something deserving of his abilities.

As I think you can tell, I'm not happy and I can't further articulate my feelings on the subject without using offensive language. Suffice to say that I have been left with a sore heart.

jack756

[28]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 14

i loved this ending.i see what the writers were going for that love never dies and i loved it..i didnt mind the girls or everyone wasnt in it alot b/c throught the whole show not every 1 can be in it all the way through b/c itll take up 2 much time(maybe if it was a 2 hour finale and they didnt show the girls alot i would b mad but it was 1 hour the writers did the best).i loved how it ended.i thought it was so sad.but at least allsion saw she could live without joe..i loves this ending so much it tied things up nicely b.c we saw how the future turned out for every one.and i jus cant get over they should that love never dies i loved thatgreat ending

Rhonda_D

[29]Jan 22, 2011

^^^^ Yes, I saw that "Real Housewives" episode also and could not believe what an AWFUL and obnoxious person the *real* Allison is! Further, she is best friends with someone as conceited and materialistic as Camille Grammar -- that says a lot!

For those that haven't seen it: The *real* Allison was yelling angrily, "I can tell her when she'll DIE and what will happen to her FAMILY...I love that about ME!", to another woman across the dinner table, who certainly didn't deserve this insane behavior. She also said that she was *nothing* compared to herself, since she has written a book and has a show...blah...blah...who talks like that? She also said to the woman that once her kids are older, her husband will NEVER emotiionally fulfill her...just awful!

She was so full of herself and mocked everyone there, and she also looked like a complete lunatic while she was smoking a fake cigarette...the whole thing was really creepy. Who knows - Maybe this is WHY Season 7 was cut off so quickly...many people saw her make a complete fool of herself...her reputation is ruined.

--RPozo--

[30]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 23
    This finale was a mix of Six Feet Under's and Lost's... I really enjoyed it and took me by surprise, but I was hoping for a happier ending... though, I don't know if we can call this a happy ending..=/ still confused... but it got people talking so I guess it's OK... I'll miss this show...

Rhonda_D

[31]Jan 22, 2011

These are my gripes with the final episode:

1) Allison is a MEDIUM -- Would she not have foreseen a plane crash involving her most beloved husband?

2) I don't appreciate the message that this embeds into the very emotional minds of women who watch this program, including myself, that you can either have the love of your life and your family OR you can have the BIG CAREER. (and that somehow the career is more important.)

Granted, her career is more fulfilling than most, but unfortunately the majority of Americans WISH they could spend more time with their families, but are busy being shackled to JOBS that simply make money for giant corporations. I truly believe FAMILY life and the strength, security, and stability that a family unit provides is way more important than any JOB and I wish more people agreed with me on this...seems we've gone wayward.

The reason I keep harping on *family* is because, in my eyes, the portrayal of Allison & Joe's connection with each other and their devotion to their three amazing daughters, was easily the most loving and intimate family depictions on television. None of the usual dysfunction, negativity disguised as humor, and all the other craziness that TV tries to encourage us to believe is normal or healthy...know what I mean?

So, why break up a family like this? Very sad.

3) Even though Joe is the love of Allison's life, she was way too young to spend her entire life without the love and support of another man.
    So, if she had found even one person before she died that she truly loved, would he not ALSO have met her after her death?

I will say, the ACTING in the final episode was phenomenal and there were some truly gut-wrenching scenes...it's just too bad that more consideration wasn't given to properly end this lovely story portraying a family we love so much.

peak_a_bu

[32]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 6

BRAVO to the writers and producers of Medium thank you for the amazing final show now that my friends is how you end a series so congrats on a job well done. I have never missed an eppy and have enjoyed this show tremendously so thank you for keeping me hooked on your show it will be missed.

haldrey

[33]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 22
    Amzing episode if judged on its own. Quite a sad one when judged under the light of the end of an amzing seven seasons show. Thanks for the memories.

Vikki35

[34]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 2
    Very sad ending, had me blubbering into my hankie. I'll really miss this show

agent_0042

[35]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 66
    Rhonda - it's been said many times on the show before that it's stuff involving her family that she's least likely to see coming.

Well, whatever anyone says about this finale - you can't deny one thing - it's got people talking. I think this is the busiest I've ever seen these boards.

udobald

[37]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 11

Just one thing bothered me. In Medium, when you come back after you died, you look like you were when you died.

SPOILER ALERT

At the end of this final episode, when Allison reappears, she looks like when the episode began, not like when she died.

agent_0042

[38]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 66
    She's a medium - she has crazy mad powers, she can make herself look like whatever she wants.

Edward_Nigma

[39]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 54
    Haha agent I know, I've never seen so many posts on an episode thread here! Or at least since like season one.

After thinking it over some, and checking out the comments, I agree that it was not the best idea to kill Joe. Allison then had to live alone for 41 years...she didn't find another husband or anything? That must speak to how much she loved Joe, which is sweet in a way I guess. That and the fact that Joe made Allison a dream for her to cope with life without him, then she took it over because she needed him in her life. That was touching...but then why not just let him be alive? It's like Allison foresaw the pain she'd have to deal with, then had to go and live it again.

But at least it was a stand-out episode and the show actually got an ending. So sure, I guess it was satisfying enough, just not too great.