Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 7x13 "Me Without You" (Series Finale)

Was the finale a good send-off for the show?

Europeflyer

[41]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 1

From Europe some tears.

Had NO IDEA the show was about to end, and watched the episode with a smile.

Only after the ending I began to wonder, and used the wisdom of Google.

I feel really betrayed after 7 years!

Such a lame episode, after so much wonderfull years.

Couldn't they have come up with something more about the family, Lee, I don't know.

Something more of a real conclusion.

Honestly, tears here, my evening is ruined.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RainbowBrite

[42]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 3
    tv_Rescue911 wrote:
    I feel that the "Forty-one years later" ending would have been more rewarding if they had given the reality of Joe's death more than 30 seconds to sink in before they jumped to the epilogue.

I completely agree.

Edward_Nigma

[43]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 54
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    You're right, Agent, this is definitely the busiest I have seen the boards and that's good so, win lose or draw, the episode has achieved that! While I'm here, I'd like to thank Edward, yourself and Tesser T for all the excellent work you put into keeping all the aspects of this board running, it's certainly much appreciated. *smile*

Aww thanks!! They were both very helpful and picked up all my slack. And I agree, at least the episode got people talking, that's something!

Europeflyer

[44]Jan 22, 2011

Really, just kill off Two and a Half Men and I just have to hang myself.

Watched the ending for 4 more times now, and still can't believe it. This show always gave me hope to get thru the week, nowing it was there in the weekends. Even made me believe I could get a family live cause it wasn't so horrible in this show. We saw the kids raise for crying out loud.

Even the fact of a 90% chance of killing Joe along the way doesn't ad up to this. I could think of a million other ways to do it, and leave the audience less devastated. Even in the last few seasons there were better opportunities. There were of couple of episodes were all seemed lost, and it turned out to be a dream. Those ones caught me on the edge of my seat. This one, even with my pearl of innocense, the not-knowing, just didn't reacht that bar.

neokid0298

[45]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 8
    Edward_Nigma wrote:
    Haha agent I know, I've never seen so many posts on an episode thread here! Or at least since like season one.

After thinking it over some, and checking out the comments, I agree that it was not the best idea to kill Joe. Allison then had to live alone for 41 years...she didn't find another husband or anything? That must speak to how much she loved Joe, which is sweet in a way I guess. That and the fact that Joe made Allison a dream for her to cope with life without him, then she took it over because she needed him in her life. That was touching...but then why not just let him be alive? It's like Allison foresaw the pain she'd have to deal with, then had to go and live it again.

But at least it was a stand-out episode and the show actually got an ending. So sure, I guess it was satisfying enough, just not too great.

Well I am imagining that Allison didn't just have the sudden timeskip like we did.

She probably remembers how she coped with his death in the dream, which will make it easier for her.

neokid0298

[46]Jan 22, 2011
    Europeflyer wrote:

Really, just kill off Two and a Half Men and I just have to hang myself.

Watched the ending for 4 more times now, and still can't believe it. This show always gave me hope to get thru the week, nowing it was there in the weekends. Even made me believe I could get a family live cause it wasn't so horrible in this show. We saw the kids raise for crying out loud.

Even the fact of a 90% chance of killing Joe along the way doesn't ad up to this. I could think of a million other ways to do it, and leave the audience less devastated. Even in the last few seasons there were better opportunities. There were of couple of episodes were all seemed lost, and it turned out to be a dream. Those ones caught me on the edge of my seat. This one, even with my pearl of innocense, the not-knowing, just didn't reacht that bar.

Would've been interesting if perhaps Joe had died temporarily, coming to Allison, then at the end of the episode finding out that he survived (Or maybe Allison and the girls would get to see him one last time before dying)

Lady_Lancaster

[47]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 41
    Edward_Nigma wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    You're right, Agent, this is definitely the busiest I have seen the boards and that's good so, win lose or draw, the episode has achieved that! While I'm here, I'd like to thank Edward, yourself and Tesser T for all the excellent work you put into keeping all the aspects of this board running, it's certainly much appreciated. *smile*

Aww thanks!! They were both very helpful and picked up all my slack. And I agree, at least the episode got people talking, that's something!

You are more than welcome, Edward, you have been an excellent editor for 'Medium' and always made everybody feel welcome, which is one of the reasons I stuck around here after my initial visit. Agent and Tesser T did a great job as well and I hope we all meet each other either back here or on other forums. *smile*.

wildhoney66

[48]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 13

i completly agree, they SHOULD have gone that route. & yes they did do an episode last season i think it was? where we think that Joe dies in a plane crash & Alison stops him from going on that plane. soo even though she doesn't always get a warning ahead of time when it comes to her family. that time she did a warning.

& it's kinda stupid & pretty pathetic to go back & basically repeat that storyline damn near & instead of him living, kill him off. the vibe i got from the ending where she dies alone in that nursing home, is really one thing she died alone & without another husband. now i may be wrong on that part of course.

it really doesn't bother me that when she did die, she was 41 years old. well rather when she met up with Joe at the end i mean. plus who would want to kiss someone old like that? who knows if that's how it can happen in real life? nobody. so tv wise i think it made more sense than not to age her. plus the fact that she's a medium maybe she had the extra privalage cause she helped so many people throught her life.

the season SHOULD have been longer than 13 episodes! i don't blame the producers cause i think it was CBS who did it. i think if they were to cancel the show ok but give it a full season & give us a better ending ya know? i didn't really care for the end of "LOST" actually it felt to me like to many damn unanswered questions at least to me it felt that way.

tv_Rescue911

[49]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 50
    sramv9 wrote:
    wasn't there an ep a while back maybe last season or the season before where Alison dreamt joe was in a plane crash?? and she got him to not go but then the plane didn't crash. and it was left sort of hanging that maybe it was a dream about a future at an undetermined time?

or is my mind making this up

I remember an episode from the first season ("Being Mrs. O'Leary's Cow") where Allison dreamt that a plane was going to go down, but I don't remember anything about Joe being on it. She had two versions of the dream: 1) An experienced pilot (who had gotten away with murder) was flying the plane and was able to correct the problem, preventing the crash and saving everyone on board, and 2) the experienced pilot had gone to prison, so a less experienced pilot was flying the plane and was unable to prevent the crash. Allison had to decide whether to have the better pilot arrested (which would presumably allow the plane crash to occur), or to let him get away with it so that he could prevent the plane crash. She ended up having the pilot arrested. She and Joe waited in the airport the night the crash was supposed to happen, but the plane ended up landing safely. I think it was established that the crash was to occur on a certain date, but that the year of the crash was ambiguous. This meant that Allison's dream was either wasn't literal, or that the crash would happen at a later date.

There was also an episode from season two ("The Song Remains the Same", I think) where the Dubois family was going to take a vacation, and Allison and Bridgette both dreamt that their plane would crash. Allison insisted that they drive instead, and they stopped along the way and discovered a missing girl that the police had been looking for earlier in the episode. I don't remember the details clearly, but I think they found the girl in a barn, tied up under a table that had a model airplane on top of it. The plane crash in Allison's dream was supposed to symbolize the area where the girl was being held captive, and was not a premonition about an actual plane crash. Allison also wouldn't have discovered the girl if she hadn't had the dream and opted to drive instead of fly.

My memory is sketchy on this one, but I think in the Season 3 episode "We Had a Dream", Allison dreamt that the killer from "S.O.S." would use a plane crash as a diversion to escape from prison.

I think it would have been an interesting twist to have the crash Allison dreamt about in "Being Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" to end up being the crash that killed Joe in the finale; if she had let the pilot/murderer get away with it, Joe's plane wouldn't have crashed. I haven't seen the that episode in years though, so I don't know if that scenario would have created plot holes.

agent_0042

[51]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 66
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    Edward_Nigma wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

You are more than welcome, Edward, you have been an excellent editor for 'Medium' and always made everybody feel welcome, which is one of the reasons I stuck around here after my initial visit. Agent and Tesser T did a great job as well and I hope we all meet each other either back here or on other forums. *smile*.

Ah, thanks everyone. Glad to help out. I still remember when this site was TV Tome and we didn't have boards that were like these, or private messages, or the option to watch the episode online. Some things have gone downhill, but we've also come a long way.

Other theories for why Allison looked like she did as a ghost:

- We were seeing what Joe sees and he always sees her as beautiful.
    - They were ghosts that were seeing each other, whereas before it's always been Allison, alive, seeing other ghosts.

FrancoFortino

[52]Jan 23, 2011

Aww.. so sad everything´s over now. I must say I really liked this episode. Maybe it could have been better but I expected worse honestly..

I had some tears in the eyes at the end. even though I think the very last minutes were a lttle bit too much. They should have ended it when Joe comes to visit her after she wakes up. Add one little scene and end it.

Why "kill" her too? They really wanted to make sure we will NEVER EVER get another episode. Cause my hope was that maybe in some years they decide to bring it back, maybe with one of her daughters as the main character and Alison being her "adviser"..

Whatever. This show will totally be missed!! :-(

A fan from Europe

agent_0042

[53]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 66
    Oh, if somebody did want to bring it back, they could totally do it. Given the nature of this show, there would be ways. In fact, I have a fanfic idea brewing...

FrancoFortino

[54]Jan 23, 2011

okay, let´s start the petition then!!! lol

ionee24

[55]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 32
    Edward_Nigma wrote:

Awww...here we are at the end. I really hope this show gets a decent ending, since we've stuck with it (some of us since January 2005). I remember the days when this was a buzzed-about show, and one of TV's Top 20 shows.It lasted through a network switch too, and seven seasons is quite a lot. It's time...now all we do is wait for tomorrow!

Well, I started watching it with no expectations since the pilot episode, I promised myself I'd only stop watching it the minute it sucked and, IMO, it never did.

Thanks for the most original and wonderful 7 seasons! No wonder Ghost Whisperer and so many others tried to steal this amazing premise.

miracleblver

[56]Jan 23, 2011

I'm still in shock.

I did not expect this episode was final. I expected something else like what happen to the next as usual.

But the story was push ahead to the end. 7years later..... 41years later....There is no hint, neither solution. Just let us see the rest of life of Allison&Joe.

I just want to see the family's ordinary life and kids' growing up. I do not want to know how Allison&Joe die.

I want missing episode back on air!!

pgsuperfan

[57]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 25

I thought it was a proper send off I mean Allison and Joe spending the rest of time together. Will they now join Joe's dad in visiting their children as spirits ?Would an interesting plot for a spinoff I think

shimmybinny

[58]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 10
    First off I would like to say I am giving this episode a 10 because it's a SERIES finale and I think the Series deserves a 10, not necessarily the episode.
    They did have an episode in season 2, called The Song Remains The Same, where Allison and Bridgette dreamt of a plane crashing with the entire Dubois family on it. And it has been said, she rarely dreams about people close to her. This episode should have been a two parter. Hands Down. They had so much to cover, in so little time. The episode seemed very rushed. I don't think they spent enough time on Ariel, Bridgette or Scanlon, all who have been an intergal part of the series. They all deserved closure. One scene, although nice, of Ariel pregnant, or Scanlon embracing Lynn was hardly full closure. The daughter they focused on the most was Marie, which was nice, but all girls deserved to be shown.
    I didn't want a sappy finale, but I don't think it was right to kill off Joe. I rather Allison and Joe get a divorce (then possibly get back together) then a death. Joe was such a great father throughout the series, and he died so young. Bridgette and Marie deserved the same father Ariel got. If a death was imperative, I think a different character should have died, someone big, like Devalos or Scanlon. Not Joe. Not the father. Not the guy who had to wake up numerous times from phone calls and Allisons yells from nightmares. Also is it believable that Allison would not find another man and be alone for 41 more years? What I really wanted was for Allison to wake up at the very end (after she sees herself die in the future)and be back in bed, in the present, to warn Joe not to get on the flight. Correct me if I am wrong, but the audience wanted Joe and Allison to live a long happy life together, through the good times and bad times. Just because it was the series finale, doesn't mean people weren't rooting for this beautiful, believable fictional family to be happy. The show will be missed! It was amazing. And wow this board is active. that is great!

neokid0298

[59]Jan 23, 2011
    I was wondering about something in the seven years later bit.

Why did they give everyone glasses to make them look older?

Genzie

[60]Jan 24, 2011
    • level: 12

FrancoFortino wrote:

Aww.. so sad everything´s over now. I must say I really liked this episode. Maybe it could have been better but I expected worse honestly..

I had some tears in the eyes at the end. even though I think the very last minutes were a lttle bit too much. They should have ended it when Joe comes to visit her after she wakes up. Add one little scene and end it.

Why "kill" her too? They really wanted to make sure we will NEVER EVER get another episode. Cause my hope was that maybe in some years they decide to bring it back, maybe with one of her daughters as the main character and Alison being her "adviser"..

Whatever. This show will totally be missed!! :-(

A fan from Europe

The ending was perfect. They wanted to show that love never dies. The ending was just perfectly written imo ; much better than alot of other endings from different shows. But personally I'd have liked a few more flash forwards, for Bridgette or Ariel.

As much as I hate Medium being cancelled I realy like how they ended the show.