Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 7x13 "Me Without You" (Series Finale)

Was the finale a good send-off for the show?

  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [81]Jan 27, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    sramv9 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    iloveyongsi wrote:
    Completely agree that they should not have killed Joe off. Even more so that it's the series finale and his death will not really contribute to future story progressions.


    I couln't disagree more: Anyone who has seen this show from day one knows that Joe's father died of a heart attack only a few years after Joe did, he waited for Joe's mother, who died of a complicated type of cancer a few years later, so Joe's death was spelled since before Scanlon was introduced as the "suitable replacement". I don't understand how everyone seems to forget that much only because Joe died in a plane crash.


    Medium, at its core, was the story of a marriage - a successful one at that - and successful marriages don't end in divorce: they end up once death do them part.


    I'm sorry that Ghost Whisperer got unceremoniously cancelled, I really am, but Medium didn't revolved around shirtless hunks posing as husbands or the cleavage of its main lead. Medium was a mystery thriller that revolved around a compelling character-study about husband and wife, in my opinion, those who complain about the ending never saw the show or they would've figured out that much by now.

    sramv9 wrote:
    I was one who liked it, but I can see where the upset fans are coming from, and how the ending could be extremely frustrating. I don't think the writers meant it to be a horrible sad terrible thing though because of what happens at the very end. For me, that was enough - but I can see why not for everyone (and especially for anyone who didn't know it was the end - i feel so sorry for people in that situation!) ...


    I don't, at all. If anything Medium was innovative enough for Ghost Whisperer to copy the Scanlon character - in Professor Payne first, Eli second - and several other shows to copy the rest ( Supernatural, The Dead Zone, The Walking Dead, etc.). I do feel sorry that Joe died but in no way I'd accept that someone smart enough to watch Medium wouldn't have figured out by now that Joe was a prime candidate for a heart attack like his father, or cancer like his mother: the character was never meant to outlive his wife. Anyone who's a real fan of this show would know that much. Just my opinion.



    Not to take away from Medium but


    1) dead zone started in 2002 (and was based on the earlier book and film) three years before medium


    2) Medium is probably also indebted to shows like Profiler, and others could name a lot more I'm sure....


    3) Ghost Whisperer ripped off a lot but the professor and eli were no scanlon - and, they didn't do murder story after murder story ( which i actually really liked about it


    4) I have trouble seeing Supernatural as in any way being in the footsteps of medium


    Not to take away from the genre but 1)The Dead Zone was about a single man still in love with the Sheriff's wife up until Medium came along, from then on they killed off the Sheriff and made his son the psychic's child which wasnot part of the original book/plot.


    2) Medium was the complete opposite of Profiler - a show based also on a single mom flirting with her boss and fellow detective - because it was a character study on a marriage with three children who had the same abilities as their mother's, which wasn't the case for either the first or the second profiler, not to mention the first one's daughter was played by several different child actors, not the same kid as the children who played the role of Marie, Bridgette and Ariel.


    3) Ghost Whisperer ripped off the plot, the marriage and the third party from Medium, it only added cleavage, just like later on it added a son, it's because it had not even one original story in its whole repertoire that it got unceremoniously cancelled between seasons. I get why this might have upset those fans but in no way they should be taking it out on Medium, that earned a well-deserved final season and pull off an even more deserving finale despite the original order was reduced from 22 to 13 episode.


    4) Supernatural would rip off both Paradise Lost and the Holly Bible and still wouldn't be able to make for a season finale, let alone a series finale.


    For these and all the reasons stated above, is that I strongly believe that anyone who actually saw crime after crime of Medium wouldn't be "so shocked" that the final mystery of this show would've been Joe's death.


    Edited on 01/27/2011 3:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Edward_Nigma

    Edward_Nigma

    [83]Jan 27, 2011
    • member since: 10/10/05
    • level: 54
    • rank: Prison Warden
    • posts: 2,853
    Lol...I'm glad you guys liked my poll...


    I was just trying to be my weird way of funny, I was shocked so many people actually answered it! But it's supposed to be like "Excellent," "Good," "Bad," "Terrible." Either way, I think it's indicative of how people felt.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of neokid0298

    neokid0298

    [84]Jan 27, 2011
    • member since: 12/03/04
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 217
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    neokid0298 wrote:
    I was wondering about something in the seven years later bit.

    Why did they give everyone glasses to make them look older?


    I was laughing at both Allison and Scanlon in the glasses to make them look older because the glasses they chose were awful. Meanwhile, we didn't see an older Bridgette and Ariel looked exactly the same. Yep, odd looking glasses indeed.


    When I saw Manuel wearing the glasses, I was like "yeah, he's worn them before, they look different though"

    Then Allison put them on, so I was like "Eh, Marie wears them, and Allison is older, so she might need them"

    Then Scanlon walked in and I began to laugh my ass off at the magical aging glasses.

    The watermelon-esque preggo belly for Ariel was rather silly looking. They could've at least put on some makeup to make her look a bit older, add some wrinkles.

    An older Bridgette would've been nice, but probably way too hard to find. And her character would've been in college by that point.

    It would've been nice if after Joe's plane crash, Allison would've cried herself to sleep (Probably with Marie and Bridgette sleeping in her bed if she had decided to tell the kids what had happened), and then it could go to 7 Years Later and have the dream sequence, cut that down to 25-30 minutes, then have the last 10-15 minutes be Joe's explanation, calling everyone about Joe, Joe's funeral, A tender moment between Allison and Joe, then flashes through her future (ala Six Feet Under, show important moments in Allison's life, like Ariel graduating from college, Ariel giving birth, and have Joe be there, at least watching and smiling) and then go to the 41 years later bit where they can finally embrace each other again, after four decades of being able to see, but not touch, their true love.

    Then cue the goodbyes from the cast.

    If that had done that, it would've been such a ripoff of Six Feet Under, but if you are going to rip off something, why not rip off one of the best finales to ever air on television?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shimmybinny

    shimmybinny

    [85]Jan 28, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 90
    agent_0042 wrote:
    shimmybinny wrote:
    Did anyone tell Glen Gordon Caron, that they think it was a very bad idea to kill off Joe? Like I said, people wouldn't have complained if he lived. They should have had an advance screening, so he would have known people's thoughts and opinions. He might have changed it. I wonder if people told him "a lot of people are going to get upset you killed him off, regardless if they end up in the afterlife together".
    Unless I am wrong and people who liked the ending thought it was vital that he die?

    Well, what do you think? We've got a poll right here. 36 out of 75 respondents (that's just under half) thought that the finale was "amazing." Another 9 respondents agreed that it was at least "good," bringing the total who had an at least favorable impression to well over half. Only 8 respondents indicated severe disappointment.


    I must admit I said it was amazing. But honestly, I didn't think that one episde was amazing and brought complete closure, I was implying the entire series was AMAZING, and this was the final episode of a brilliant series (and not steller at that, did you see it score people gave it?). I know a few people, who voted the same way I did, because they felt the same way. Just because some said it was good, doesn't mean they liked Joe dying. For that matter people who said it was amazing doesn't mean they liked the fact Joe died. Also the "pretty much a low point of my life" is a ridiculous choice. If this was a low point of their life, I truly feel sorry for them.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shimmybinny

    shimmybinny

    [86]Jan 28, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 90

    ionee24 wrote:


    I don't, at all. If anything Medium was innovative enough for Ghost Whisperer to copy the Scanlon character - in Professor Payne first, Eli second - and several other shows to copy the rest ( Supernatural, The Dead Zone, The Walking Dead, etc.). I do feel sorry that Joe died but in no way I'd accept that someone smart enough to watch Medium wouldn't have figured out by now that Joe was a prime candidate for a heart attack like his father, or cancer like his mother: the character was never meant to outlive his wife. Anyone who's a real fan of this show would know that much. Just my opinion.



    In season the seaon 6 episode "the Future's so Bright", Joe's father told Allison Joe was the picture of health, and scared her to believe he was sick, so he can meet the boss in the Zen Garden.


    Just because Joe's mother and father passed away, doesn'texplain why Joe did. Also, they died from health related issues. Joe died in a plane crash.I don't see the correlation between the 3 deaths.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rachmiel

    rachmiel

    [87]Jan 28, 2011
    • member since: 01/25/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12
    shimmybinny wrote:
    agent_0042 wrote:
    shimmybinny wrote:
    Did anyone tell Glen Gordon Caron, that they think it was a very bad idea to kill off Joe? Like I said, people wouldn't have complained if he lived. They should have had an advance screening, so he would have known people's thoughts and opinions. He might have changed it. I wonder if people told him "a lot of people are going to get upset you killed him off, regardless if they end up in the afterlife together".
    Unless I am wrong and people who liked the ending thought it was vital that he die?

    Well, what do you think? We've got a poll right here. 36 out of 75 respondents (that's just under half) thought that the finale was "amazing." Another 9 respondents agreed that it was at least "good," bringing the total who had an at least favorable impression to well over half. Only 8 respondents indicated severe disappointment.


    I must admit I said it was amazing. But honestly, I didn't think that one episde was amazing and brought complete closure, I was implying the entire series was AMAZING, and this was the final episode of a brilliant series (and not steller at that, did you see it score people gave it?). I know a few people, who voted the same way I did, because they felt the same way. Just because some said it was good, doesn't mean they liked Joe dying. For that matter people who said it was amazing doesn't mean they liked the fact Joe died. Also the "pretty much a low point of my life" is a ridiculous choice. If this was a low point of their life, I truly feel sorry for them.

    that's what i'm tawkin' about! :-) the poll was somewhat unclear, and the results somewhat misleading. which is fine, i like mysteries. ;-) (just not those where one of the main beloved characters is made to die a melodramatic/senseless death ... )
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of agent_0042

    agent_0042

    [88]Jan 28, 2011
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 10,895
    I think I'll make another poll. If Edward feels it's redundant, he can close it, but there's definitely dissatisfaction with the current poll.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shimmybinny

    shimmybinny

    [89]Jan 28, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 90
    I really want to thank Edward, because he has contributed a lot to his show, as did others. I hope I didn't come off sounding harsh. I understand people have preferences which is great, that's what makes TV so diverse, I just don't think it was the best idea to kill off Joe. Like I said, I don't think people would say "Oh man, why didn't Joe die? He needed to die, for the series to be complete". If he didn't die would people really say that? I am not talking about the poll, as some have said it has been misleading, but in general, did people think it was 100% necessary to kill off Joe?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lady_Lancaster

    Lady_Lancaster

    [90]Jan 29, 2011
    • member since: 05/27/09
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 3,152

    I had no problems with Joe being killed off, in fact, I had been expeting it. A show like "Medium" was, for the most part, about nasty crimes and unpleasant characters when it went outside the DuBois family so such an ending fitted in with that. I'm not a fan of happy endings and, like I said, I was pretty certain that somebody would die and that it would be Joe. It wouldn't have had the same impact, in my opinion, if it had been one of the girls or Devalos etc. and at the end of a series, writers usually go for impact.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shimmybinny

    shimmybinny

    [91]Jan 29, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 90
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

    I had no problems with Joe being killed off, in fact, I had been expeting it. A show like "Medium" was, for the most part, about nasty crimes and unpleasant characters when it went outside the DuBois family so such an ending fitted in with that. I'm not a fan of happy endings and, like I said, I was pretty certain that somebody would die and that it would be Joe. It wouldn't have had the same impact, in my opinion, if it had been one of the girls or Devalos etc. and at the end of a series, writers usually go for impact.



    So you will be a good person to ask: If you weren't expecting someone die and If they didn't kill off Joe, would you be upset that he didn't die? Would you say that was the worst series finale ever because Joe lived instead of died?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Edward_Nigma

    Edward_Nigma

    [92]Jan 30, 2011
    • member since: 10/10/05
    • level: 54
    • rank: Prison Warden
    • posts: 2,853
    shimmybinny wrote:
    I really want to thank Edward, because he has contributed a lot to his show, as did others. I hope I didn't come off sounding harsh. I understand people have preferences which is great, that's what makes TV so diverse, I just don't think it was the best idea to kill off Joe. Like I said, I don't think people would say "Oh man, why didn't Joe die? He needed to die, for the series to be complete". If he didn't die would people really say that? I am not talking about the poll, as some have said it has been misleading, but in general, did people think it was 100% necessary to kill off Joe?


    Thanks...and yeah I don't think it was necessary either, and it was depressing how they did it too. Allison never found love again it seems, and she died alone.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rachmiel

    rachmiel

    [93]Jan 30, 2011
    • member since: 01/25/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12
    yeah, i guess the writers were so focused on the payoff of joe and allison getting back together after 41 years of allison living alone with (presumably) no contact from him that they forgot about (didn't care about?) the "blanks" that most of us longtime fans would fill in:

    - allison lived in a nursing home; none of the kids took her in.

    - allison died alone.

    - allison didn't seem to have had another major love in her life.

    - joe's ghost didn't visit allison for the last 41 years. (he only visited once, right after he died. why? lots of other ghosts visited allison regularly. why not joe, her soul mate? doesn't make sense.)

    if there were a movie planned, in which we knew that these loose ends would be tied up, explained, mitigated ... that would be an entirely different story. but, for a (sudden, quite unexpected) series finale, this was truly abominable imo. (though it WAS a well produced and powerful episode.)

    once again i say: BOO to the writers! and i don't boo easily ...
    Edited on 01/30/2011 6:40pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lady_Lancaster

    Lady_Lancaster

    [94]Jan 30, 2011
    • member since: 05/27/09
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 3,152
    shimmybinny wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

    I had no problems with Joe being killed off, in fact, I had been expeting it. A show like "Medium" was, for the most part, about nasty crimes and unpleasant characters when it went outside the DuBois family so such an ending fitted in with that. I'm not a fan of happy endings and, like I said, I was pretty certain that somebody would die and that it would be Joe. It wouldn't have had the same impact, in my opinion, if it had been one of the girls or Devalos etc. and at the end of a series, writers usually go for impact.



    So you will be a good person to ask: If you weren't expecting someone die and If they didn't kill off Joe, would you be upset that he didn't die? Would you say that was the worst series finale ever because Joe lived instead of died?


    That's a hard one for me to answer because I HAVE been expecting someone to die ever since they decided to end the show. Given the whole concept of the show, I couldn't see them going with the 'happily ever after' scenario. It wouldn't have bothered me if Joe hadn't died, but I thought someone would and he was the logical choice as it's most often a main character. No, I have seen FAR worse series finales than this one, believe me. *grin*. I was happy enough with it. People die all the time, it's just the way it is, and if television executives can go with the shock value, they usually will. I wouldn never be upset that Joe DIDN'T die, but I would have been surprised if everyone had survived intact as it's not usually the nature of shows like 'Medium' to do that. They did the same thinng with Charmed, Buffy and Angel, just to name a few. At least everyone got to be happy in the afterlife in the end.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of myc4971

    myc4971

    [95]Jan 31, 2011
    • member since: 08/04/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 13

    I agree. It was a great ending. I totally didn't see that one coming. I love this episode except for that extended long kiss at the end and the last few lines. I think they should have ended with Joe saying "Of course, I've waited."


    Whoa, I was crying from that dream sequence in Mexico up to the last frame.


    I'm really gonna miss this show but most especially I'll miss Allison and the family. Joe and Allison are just the couple everybody wants to be.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of morticia_r

    morticia_r

    [96]Feb 1, 2011
    • member since: 11/04/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 8

    Well I for one was completelyblindsided because when I started watching this episode I had no idea it was the last one ... ever.


    That is probably the main reason for me being very upset about it.


    On the other hand it makes me very sad when my favourite shows end and this was unexpected for me. I mean there could have been at least another season,seriously!


    Why is it the the good shows get cut?


    For example my mom has been watching the young and the restless since before I was born and I'm 20 now. This proves that a show can last more than 7 years!


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rachmiel

    rachmiel

    [97]Feb 1, 2011
    • member since: 01/25/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12
    morticia (gomez from the adams family?), hi. :-)

    i would have liked to see Medium go on also. sigh ...

    i thought that the show had gotten a bit stale/dull/predictable in the past couple of years. i found myself less and less psyched to watch it. but i the last several episodes were very engaging, so much so that i began to think: wow, this show is experiencing a renaissance! (which made the abrupt (and imo poorly conceived) series finale all the more distasteful.)
    Edited on 02/01/2011 4:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bethwriter47

    Bethwriter47

    [98]Feb 1, 2011
    • member since: 02/02/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3

    I found this discussion board just yesterday. I've read all of your posts and am impressed by the intelligent and informed views expressed by obviously long term fans. As an avid fan of Medium, I feel betrayed by the creators, writers and producers whom I respected and appreciated for seven years of quality creativity. The scripts and story lines were smart and expertly written. Though there was, at times, more gore than I cared to see, the series most often entertained and challenged viewers consistently. The series finale, however, was both disappointing and disturbing.


    After spending seven years carefully building a family of beloved characters, perfectly played by an ensemble of truly outstanding actors, the writers et al took us through many unbelievable twists and turns, tacky cliches, and purposefully heartbreaking moments which were inconsistent with the premise, history and characters of the show. The manufactured killing of Joe, everyone's favorite youthful father figure and spouse, actually caused for most of us, the demise of the entire Dubois family we knew and loved. Isn't real life hard enough? Did tragedy have to be inflicted on our beloved fantasy family? Joe was the glue that held the family together and protected them from the evils of the unique and extraordinary circumstances they endured. Without Joe, and the strong day to day relationship between Joe and Allison, Joe and the entire family crash and burn in this poorly contrived finale.


    If their point was to deliver the message that love never dies, don't they realize that those of us who loved this show know that already? Did the writers think their mission was to convey this poetic truth? Really, this was a betrayal of our trust and intelligence. It was a true "slap in the face" as many of you stated, and for what purpose: the dramatic effect, or literary novelty? I realize it's just a story, but a story writers worked hard crafting, and one in which viewers invested their time and compassion. Like a novel with a tragic ending and depressing consequences, I don't know when I will be able to pick it up again in reruns.


    The finale inflicted heartbreak that time might not be able to heal. The pall thrust upon Medium can only be removed through creative intervention. It would be unusual, however, for a network or production company to make this heroic effort after cancellation of the series. As fans have expressed on other web sites, our only recourse is to try to purge our memory of this episode #13 like it never existed. We can also hope that TV writers and executives think long and hard before inflicting pointless tragedy into our refuges from reality.


    Sorry I was long-winded. Thanks for providing a forum for our frustration.



    Edited on 02/02/2011 2:20pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shimmybinny

    shimmybinny

    [99]Feb 2, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 90
    Bethwriter47 wrote:

    I found this discussion board just yesterday. I've read all of your posts and am impressed by the intelligent and informed views expressed by obviously long term fans. As an avid fan of Medium, I feel betrayed by the creators, writers and producers whom I respected and appreciated for seven years of quality creativity. The scripts and story lines were smart and expertly written. Though there was, at times, more gore than I cared to see, the series most often entertained and challenged viewers consistently. The series finale, however, was both disappointing and disturbing.


    After spending seven years carefully building a family of beloved characters, perfectly played by an ensemble of truly outstanding actors, the writers et al took us through many unbelievable twists and turns, tacky cliches, and purposefully heartbreaking moments which were inconsistent with the premise, history and characters of the show. The manufactured killing of Joe, everyone's favorite youthful father figure and spouse, actually caused for most of us, the demise of the entire Dubois family we knew and loved. Isn't real life hard enough? Did tragedy have to be inflicted on our beloved fantasy family? Joe was the glue that held the family together and protected them from the evils of the unique and extraordinary circumstances they endured. Without Joe, and the strong day to day relationship between Joe and Allison, Joe and the entire family crash and burn in this poorly contrived finale.


    If their point was to deliver the message that love never dies, don't they realize that those of us who loved this show know that already? Did the writers think their mission was to convey this poetic truth? Really, this was a betrayal of our trust and intelligence. It was a true "slap in the face" as many of you stated, and for what purpose: the dramatic effect, or literary novelty? I realize it's just a story, but a story writers worked hard crafting, and one in which viewers invested their time and compassion. Like a novel with a tragic ending and depressing consequences, I don't know when I will be able to pick it up again in reruns.


    The finale inflicted heartbreak that time might not be able to heal. The pall thrust upon Medium can only be removed through creative intervention. It would be unusual, however, for a network or production company to make this heroic effort after cancellation of the series. As fans have expressed on other web sites, our only recourse is to try to purge our memory of this episode #13 like it never existed. We can also hope that TV writers and executives think long and hard before inflicting pointless tragedy into our refuges from reality.


    Sorry I was long-winded. Thanks for providing a forum for our frustration.



    itThe writers It was like a good book or book series that one enjoys rereading from time to time. But in this finale, the family crashes and burns in the end



    Agreed and very well written.
    Medium is a fictional show, based on a real person whos husband is not dead. Also, I understand death is imminent and part of life and it fits into the show, but that is exactly what it is a show! They didn't need to kill Joe. I know people are against sappy endings, and I agree with that, but they could have made it equally as surprising and sad, while conveying the fact that love never dies, without Joe dying.
    I honestly still don't see the purpose of killing him? Was it a big topic to talk about? Yes. Was it a huge twist? Sure. Was it necessary that he die? No.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rachmiel

    rachmiel

    [100]Feb 2, 2011
    • member since: 01/25/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12
    beth and shimmy, i'm with you (as you can tell by my postings). :-)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.