Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Official Discussion: 7x13 "Me Without You" (Series Finale)

Was the finale a good send-off for the show?

  • Avatar of Bethwriter47

    Bethwriter47

    [101]Feb 2, 2011
    • member since: 02/02/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3
    "Medium is a fictional show, based on a real person..."

    Do you think that was the show's fatal flaw? Medium was based on a real live "medium," Allison Debois who assisted police in solving crimes using her gift. The TV family duplicated the real family composed of Allison, her husband Joe, and three daughters. The show even used the family name "Dubois" and was set in their hometown of Phoenix, Arizona. I don't recall that ever being done before in a TV series, except maybe Little House on the Prairie, but that was really based on historical literature and a personal narrative of the past. In the beginning of the series, publicity sometimes included reports about the real Allison, her family and the surprising similarities between the real and TV characters. But throughout the seven years, questions were quietly raised about the validity of Allison's claims to fame. Did she really have psychic gifts, and how many times had she actually "solved" crimes in Phoenix? Medium, however, developed an existence all its own. The expert cast members and the writers reinvented the Dubois family whose qualities endeared them to viewers who then became fans. Parallels between the real and the fictional characters were no longer touted publicly.

    Jump to 2010, things are unsure for the series renewal. Many things are going on including the bitter battles surrounding the impending divorce and nasty split of Kelsey Grammer, Medium's producer, and Camille Grammer, his wife of 13 years and the mother of his two children. It was reported that Camille had a working relationship with the series and a personal friendship with the real Allison. Then Camille Grammer and the real Allison appeared on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and America was shocked! Loud, pompous, arrogant, drinking and smoking Allison Dubois was a sharp contrast to the intelligent, gentle and loving character portrayed by Patricia Arquette on Medium. Fans and viewers complained and struggled to enjoy Allison the character while being repulsed by Allison the person. This reality may have caused an urgency to cancel Medium and quickly sever the connection between the character and the charlatan. And Joe's death would then add finality to the venture. Maybe it was done in retaliation for Mrs.Dubois' poor performance or revelation about her true self. It makes interesting speculation, though it provides no satisfaction about the demise of Medium, but it might explain what went down. What do you think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of agent_0042

    agent_0042

    [102]Feb 2, 2011
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 10,895
    I suppose it's possible. To be honest, I tried to avoid paying any attention to the real Allison Dubois, so I had no idea that she made that bad of a spectacle of herself on television.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NIRO_buny

    NIRO_buny

    [103]Feb 3, 2011
    • member since: 07/18/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 1

    i hated the end,a bit too depressing,i mean come on even real life was more generous than the writers, what was the point of killing the man,,again too depressing for me,though i liked the part at the very end ,all actors through the series,took some of the edge of that episode,it will sure be missed.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KasenStuff

    KasenStuff

    [104]Feb 4, 2011
    • member since: 06/14/10
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 207
    Stupid that Joe died... Stupid ending... Blah. I wish we'd had a full season. Would have been better all around. And no killing off Joe.

    And why didn't we get to see adult Bridget? We saw teen Marie...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bethwriter47

    Bethwriter47

    [105]Feb 4, 2011
    • member since: 02/02/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3

    I just found a forum that has started a petition. We need to reach someone with programming power.


    If you're interested in adding your voice to this plea fo justice for Medium and us, its loyal fans, please check this out:


    http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/medium-petition/



    Thanks. I hope we can make a difference, at least have someone with power to address our concerns so we don't have to keep going through this betrayal.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KasenStuff

    KasenStuff

    [106]Feb 5, 2011
    • member since: 06/14/10
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 207
    Bethwriter47 wrote:

    I just found a forum that has started a petition. We need to reach someone with programming power.


    If you're interested in adding your voice to this plea fo justice for Medium and us, its loyal fans, please check this out:


    http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/medium-petition/



    Thanks. I hope we can make a difference, at least have someone with power to address our concerns so we don't have to keep going through this betrayal.



    Betrayal? Ummm aren't you being a little dramatic???
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rachmiel

    rachmiel

    [107]Feb 6, 2011
    • member since: 01/25/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12
    http://rachmiel.org/misc/medium_razzie.jpg
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rachmiel

    rachmiel

    [108]Feb 6, 2011
    • member since: 01/25/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12
    KasenStuff wrote:

    Bethwriter47 wrote:

    I hope we can make a difference, at least have someone with power to address our concerns so we don't have to keep going through this betrayal.


    Betrayal? Ummm aren't you being a little dramatic???


    i certainly feel violated by what the writers/producers of Medium offered for the series finale. there's an unspoken contract between creators/viewers of a longstanding show like this. they agree to present a fictional world that interests/moves us and to do so with respect for our expectations/needs/etc. we agree to watch and enjoy and remain loyal to the show for its duration.


    the writers held up their part of the contract well for the entire run of the show, until the final episode. then they slapped viewers in the face, for whatever reason: their own anger (at being cancelled), the desire to shock (let's give 'em somethin' they'll never forget, regardless of whether they like it or not), pride (we'll go down in the annals of extreme tv series finale history), etc.


    for those who have the ability to "live" in stories and to care deeply about the characters that inhabit them, *betrayal* sounds just about right.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FrancoFortino

    FrancoFortino

    [110]Feb 8, 2011
    • member since: 11/14/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3

    Bethwriter47 wrote:


    I just found a forum that has started a petition. We need to reach someone with programming power.


    If you're interested in adding your voice to this plea fo justice for Medium and us, its loyal fans, please check this out:


    http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/medium-petition/



    Thanks. I hope we can make a difference, at least have someone with power to address our concerns so we don't have to keep going through this betrayal.



    Thank you. Signed! (I know... but it´s a try)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shimmybinny

    shimmybinny

    [111]Feb 8, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 90
    rachmiel wrote:
    http://rachmiel.org/misc/medium_razzie.jpg

    Haha! That was awesome!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Pete_Down

    Pete_Down

    [112]Feb 15, 2011
    • member since: 02/16/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 2

    They should have recorded an alternative ending to the finale. They could have included it on the season 7 DVD. Maybe showing how Joe managed to make it home from Mexico. The viewers who prefer feel-good endings would have appreciated it.


    The thing I hated most about the finale was the way alison died. I would have liked a deathbed scene, at home, with her loving family gathered around. Instead She died completely alone in a bland , empty room in an old peoples home propped in a chair. No one would choose to go that way!. Why to writers chose that way is anyones guess. Trying to make it even more sad than it was already I suppose.


    Did Alison become a lawyer or did she just spend 41 years waiting to die and meet Joe again. I don't think that was made clear.


    I wish I had not seen the last episode - I found it too unpleasant.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of agent_0042

    agent_0042

    [113]Feb 15, 2011
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 10,895
    It was never made explicitly clear what she actually did, but given that she had grandchildren who were in contact with her on a regular basis, I would assume it's fair to guess that she made something of her life.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lady_Lancaster

    Lady_Lancaster

    [114]Feb 15, 2011
    • member since: 05/27/09
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 3,152
    agent_0042 wrote:
    It was never made explicitly clear what she actually did, but given that she had grandchildren who were in contact with her on a regular basis, I would assume it's fair to guess that she made something of her life.


    I hope she did too. I can't imagine Ariel, Bridgette and Marie just letting her sit around and do nothing for 41 years so I imagine she did become a lawyer. I agree with the precious poster though that seeing her die in a depressing old people's home was sad. I would have preferred to have her living with a childor grandchild who could have taken care of her. Funnily enough, I was more sad about that very last scene than I was about Joe's death. People can and do die in plane crashes, which is a terrible tragedy, but it's sad that a loving mother and grandmother with an obviously large family had to die alone in such an austere looking place.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RohanWillcock

    RohanWillcock

    [115]Feb 17, 2011
    • member since: 09/22/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 12

    I understand what has happened but there are episodes unseen, I only wished they would show them all then end the series, but I know me sitting her typing about it won't help, I wish they had of thought about showing the rest of the season instead of cutting it short.


    Thank you Allison DuBios, for being part of the show for all the years it has been on, I have all your books, and its been a life change reading them.



    And also a big thank you to all the actors and actress that made the show come to life, ood luck in your futures and tell your bosses to go put a catcus up there bottoms for ending the show without showing the rest of them.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shimmybinny

    shimmybinny

    [116]Feb 17, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 90

    RohanWillcock wrote:


    I understand what has happened but there are episodes unseen, I only wished they would show them all then end the series, but I know me sitting her typing about it won't help, I wish they had of thought about showing the rest of the season instead of cutting it short.


    Thank you Allison DuBios, for being part of the show for all the years it has been on, I have all your books, and its been a life change reading them.



    And also a big thank you to all the actors and actress that made the show come to life, ood luck in your futures and tell your bosses to go put a catcus up there bottoms for ending the show without showing the rest of them.


    There were no unseen episodes. They only filmed 13 episodes for season 7, not the full 22.



    Also everyone know's the entire ending was a dream. The real ending is she wakes up,saves Joe from going on the plane, and they live happily ever after. Sure they hit some bumps in the road, but theystill stay together.

    Edited on 02/17/2011 11:55am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Pete_Down

    Pete_Down

    [117]Feb 20, 2011
    • member since: 02/16/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 2

    [QUOTE="shimmybinny"]


    RohanWillcock wrote:


    Also everyone know's the entire ending was a dream. The real ending is she wakes up,saves Joe from going on the plane, and they live happily ever after. Sure they hit some bumps in the road, but theystill stay together.



    Wouldn't that have been nice. I afraid it's you that needs to wake up. You have been dreaming !.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [118]Feb 24, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    shimmybinny wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    I don't, at all. If anything Medium was innovative enough for Ghost Whisperer to copy the Scanlon character - in Professor Payne first, Eli second - and several other shows to copy the rest ( Supernatural, The Dead Zone, The Walking Dead, etc.). I do feel sorry that Joe died but in no way I'd accept that someone smart enough to watch Medium wouldn't have figured out by now that Joe was a prime candidate for a heart attack like his father, or cancer like his mother: the character was never meant to outlive his wife. Anyone who's a real fan of this show would know that much. Just my opinion.



    In season the seaon 6 episode "the Future's so Bright", Joe's father told Allison Joe was the picture of health, and scared her to believe he was sick, so he can meet the boss in the Zen Garden.


    Just because Joe's mother and father passed away, doesn'texplain why Joe did. Also, they died from health related issues. Joe died in a plane crash. I don't see the correlation between the 3 deaths.


    If you don't the see the correlation between Joe's dad waiting for his wife until she died and Joe waiting for Allison until she died then I'm afraid you were watched too much Ghost Whisperer (which, once again, I'm very sorry it got unceremoniously cancelled but that's no reason to take it out on this show).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shimmybinny

    shimmybinny

    [119]Mar 18, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 90

    ionee24 wrote:


    shimmybinny wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    I don't, at all. If anything Medium was innovative enough for Ghost Whisperer to copy the Scanlon character - in Professor Payne first, Eli second - and several other shows to copy the rest ( Supernatural, The Dead Zone, The Walking Dead, etc.). I do feel sorry that Joe died but in no way I'd accept that someone smart enough to watch Medium wouldn't have figured out by now that Joe was a prime candidate for a heart attack like his father, or cancer like his mother: the character was never meant to outlive his wife. Anyone who's a real fan of this show would know that much. Just my opinion.



    In season the seaon 6 episode "the Future's so Bright", Joe's father told Allison Joe was the picture of health, and scared her to believe he was sick, so he can meet the boss in the Zen Garden.


    Just because Joe's mother and father passed away, doesn'texplain why Joe did. Also, they died from health related issues. Joe died in a plane crash. I don't see the correlation between the 3 deaths.


    If you don't the see the correlation between Joe's dad waiting for his wife until she died and Joe waiting for Allison until she died then I'm afraid you were watched too much Ghost Whisperer (which, once again, I'm very sorry it got unceremoniously cancelled but that's no reason to take it out on this show).


    I have never seen an episode of Ghost Whisperer. All I was saying is I don't see the correlation between 2 people who died from health related issues and one personwho diedbecause of a crash. That was my statement from the beginning. I was commenting on the person who posted above saying it was easy to see he was going to die, because both of his parent's died at a young age. I understand that Joe was waiting for Allison, for eternity (and his father waiting for his mother). It's the understanding of how do the three deaths relate to eachother, not the after effect, which was loud and clear.

    Edited on 03/18/2011 10:18am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rondetto

    rondetto

    [120]Mar 29, 2011
    • member since: 05/28/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 68

    Medium was a lovely show with excellent characters played by wonderful actors, especially Patricia Arquette. I recall watching


    every single episode of Charmed, and when it wasn't commissioned for another series it petered out with an abysmal ending.


    Looks like they've done the same here too. As you all know, it was touch and go whether they made this final series, I'm glad they did.


    But, it's come to an end now, we have to move on. I'll have fond memories of it and look forward to seeing Patricia in her next venture.



    Ron

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.