Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Question from a new viewer

CharlesTheBold

[1]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 7

I just started watching last year, and I don't know much of the story background. Has there ever been an explanation of where her power came from? (I know it's supposed to be hereditary because her daughters have it) Has her husband ever tried studying it scientifically? Or does everybody just say: she's psyhic, that's nice. Most fantasy shows I've watched (BUFFY, JOAN OF ARCADIA) set up some background for the heroine's abilities

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 66
    The most we've gotten so far in terms of any sort of explanation is that her brain is somehow structured differently. At the end of the previous season there was a storyline in which it was discovered that she had some sort of tumor in her brain. It wasn't fatal but it would be if they didn't operate, however, Allison had a vision that if they did operate then she would lose her power and it would cause her to lose her family because there was someone that she didn't catch. She delayed the surgery and was able to catch the guy that would have killed her family. The surgery did eventually go ahead and she lost her powers for a while, but they eventually ended up coming back.

puppybunny1

[3]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 13
    If it is hereditary, then it is in her DNA. It explains the daughters having the abilities. Allison has precognitive and retrocognity dreams. She can see both the past and the future. Ariel, her daughter have visions, too.

agent_0042

[4]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 66
    And not just Ariel, but both of the others have abilities as well. It seems likely that it is hereditary.

Kleinke

[5]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 12
    Doesn't it run in the family? Wasn't there a mention in one of the previous seasons that her mother (or her grandmother) was psychic too? Can't remember.

tv_Rescue911

[6]Dec 29, 2009
    • level: 50
    I'm pretty sure they mentioned that her grandmother was psychic. I think they said that her mother either wasn't psychic, or was and tried to hide it. Allison's brother is also psychic.

There was one episode, which I think was in the second or third season, where Allison had an MRI or CAT scan, and they found some sort of unusual spot or structure on her brain. I think the doctor said that the region of the brain that the spot was in was thought to be involved with ESP, or something to that extent. Joe thought that it might be the source of her psychic abilities, and he had Ariel and Bridgette (I can't remember if Marie did it) get scanned as well. One of the girls (Ariel, I think) ended up not having the spot, shooting down Joe's theory. It has been a long time since I saw that episode, though, so my memory of it is kind of fuzzy.

guayo_slayer

[7]Dec 30, 2009
    • level: 8
    she jus has it, it i said in a episode thather grandmother ad it also. Its a great show i hope you like it. btw im a fan of Buffy also =D

Keguri

[8]Jan 25, 2010
    • level: 12
    TV_rescue911, I just watched the episode and you're dead on the explanation

But these little steps towards finding out why she has this power can be something just for the storyline. Do they know why the real Allison has her visions?

Edward_Nigma

[9]Jan 25, 2010
    • level: 54
    guayo_slayer wrote:
    she jus has it, it i said in a episode thather grandmother ad it also. Its a great show i hope you like it. btw im a fan of Buffy also =D

Yes it is a great show, and very unique. And who isn't a Buffy fan?!

Keguri wrote:
    TV_rescue911, I just watched the episode and you're dead on the explanation

But these little steps towards finding out why she has this power can be something just for the storyline. Do they know why the real Allison has her visions?

Great question! I wonder...

shimmybinny

[10]Feb 3, 2010
    • level: 10
    In the finale of season 2, it was mentioned everyone thought Allison's grandmother was the town cook because she could see the future. Allison's family, including her brother and 3 daughters all have powers.(we find out about the youngest daughter, Marie, when she was watching static on the tv and when she read the eye doctors mind, during her eye exam).
    It was never really discussed how she got it. She wasn't hit by lightining or had a near death experience. I guess it is just in her DNA. Like agent 0042 said it was explained alittle bit when they removed the cancer from her brain.

neokid0298

[11]Feb 7, 2010
    • level: 8
    tv_Rescue911 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure they mentioned that her grandmother was psychic. I think they said that her mother either wasn't psychic, or was and tried to hide it. Allison's brother is also psychic.

There was one episode, which I think was in the second or third season, where Allison had an MRI or CAT scan, and they found some sort of unusual spot or structure on her brain. I think the doctor said that the region of the brain that the spot was in was thought to be involved with ESP, or something to that extent. Joe thought that it might be the source of her psychic abilities, and he had Ariel and Bridgette (I can't remember if Marie did it) get scanned as well. One of the girls (Ariel, I think) ended up not having the spot, shooting down Joe's theory. It has been a long time since I saw that episode, though, so my memory of it is kind of fuzzy.

Second season I think.

I believe it was an area near the Corpus Callosum (the area that connects the two halves of the brain) that was enlarged on all except Joe.

tv_Rescue911

[12]Feb 10, 2010
    • level: 50
    Something else no one has mentioned is that Allison's abilities don't work when she drinks habitually. I think that was established established in the pilot episode. She also mentioned at some point in the series that she used to sneak beers when she was younger to keep from seeing dead people, I think that was on the season 5 episode where Ariel was able suppress her abilities by taking some sort of "study drug".

neokid0298 wrote:
    tv_Rescue911 wrote:

Second season I think.

I believe it was an area near the Corpus Callosum (the area that connects the two halves of the brain) that was enlarged on all except Joe.

I'm pretty sure one of the daughters didn't have it, either.