TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

Season 4 thus far: ratings, hiatus, etc.

pisceandreams

[1]Jan 23, 2008
    • level: 40

Since its return to Mondays, Medium has done fairly well in the ratings (at least as far as the show is concerned). The first two weeks the show has some stiff competition, but came in 2nd in its time slot. Week three (this week) it came in first place in the 18-49 target, which is what networks care about most. This week's episode, "To Have and to Hold" accomplished the following:

At 10 p.m. ET, "Medium" (3.4/9 in 18-49, 10.1 million viewers overall) won its time period in adults 18-49 and other key measures. The 3.4 rating for "Medium" marks NBC's top rating in this time period since the opening night of the 2007-08 season (September 24, 2007) and the 10.1 million viewer tally is NBC's top result in this slot by that measure in more than seven months (since June 18, 2007). "Medium" was up by 48 percent in 18-49 rating versus NBC's season average in this time period prior to "Medium" (3.4 vs. 2.3).

This was the highest-rated episode of "Medium" in adults 18-49 in nearly a year (since Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2007) and in total viewers it was the "most-watched" episode of the series since Monday, May 8, 2006.

Ths is certainly promising news for our series because it is out-performaing all of the shows that were once in its time slot (Studio 60, The Black Donnelleys, Journeyman), and leads one to believe that NBC shouldn't have any reason not to renew the show for a 5th season. (Provided that everything with the writers' strike clears up.) It's too bad that just as momentum is starting to build, NBC puts the show on a short hiatus.

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- NBC will expand its freshman hit "American Gladiators" to 90 minutes starting February 4, the network's press materials confirmed today.

In addition, the show's two-hour finale has been set for Sunday, February 17 at 7:00/6:00c. Said event will serve as the lead-in to the two-hour backdoor pilot movie "Knight Rider" that same night at 9:00/8:00c.

As for specifics, both "Gladiators" and "Deal or No Deal" will offer up 90-minute installments on February 4 and 11 sending "Medium," which is also pre-empted on January 28 due to the President's State of the Union Address, to a brief hiatus.

"Medium" will then return on February 18 with the first of six new episodes.

But perhaps this 4-week hiatus could work in our favor. If the writers' strike manages to clear up relatively soon, then by the time the show airs the remaining six episodes (late March) there will be time to produce more episodes for the 4th season. It's a long shot, but it's within the realm of possibilities.

Edited on 01/23/2008 5:56am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Edward_Nigma

[2]Jan 23, 2008
    • level: 54
    Oh wow I didn't realize Medium did so well on Monday. I've been following it weekly and the ratings seem okay (nothing like they were when the show started though), but that's cool Monday made a jump and was the highest rated in almost a year. Yeah the hiatus sucks...hopefully the ratings will stay where they're at! That would be neat if we got a few more episodes and some type of finale too...but I'm not gonna count on it.

pisceandreams

[3]Jan 26, 2008

For the week of January 14th (when "But for the Grace of God" aired), the show managed the following:

[the show] retained 100 percent in adult 18-49 rating and 99 percent in total viewers of the prior Monday's solid season-premiere results, despite increased competition last week from a first-run "CSI: Miami" on CBS. "Medium" was a strong #2 in the time period in adults 18-49, total viewers and other key measures, topping ABC's first-run drama "October Road."

For the week of January 21st (when "To Have and to Hold" aired), Medium landed in the top 20!

In a week in which Fox's primetime telecast of the NFL's National Football Conference Championship and its post game shows topped the weekly program rankings, NBC placed seven shows among the week's top 20 programs in adults 18-49. In fact, excluding sports telecasts, Monday's "Deal or No Deal" was the #3-ranked show and "American Gladiators" and "Law & Order: SVU" tied for #4, trailing only the Tuesday and Wednesday editions of Fox's "American Idol." Among entertainment programs this week, "Celebrity Apprentice" ranked #8 in adults 18-49, "Law & Order" was #12, "ER" was #14 (tied) and "Medium" ranked #17.

All of this is such great news to hear! Maybe NBC will recognize the value of the series and treat it better (in promotion and not changing its time slot from season to season).

Edward_Nigma

[4]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 54
    Oh cool, a top 20 in adults 18-49. Yeah it seems to be doing pretty well. With NBC's new weird strategy of not picking up pilots anymore (after this season) and all the reality all over the place, they should keep Medium around as it's proven to be a steady drama with decent ratings, even after all these hiatuses.

mediumfanatic

[5]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 4
    I completely agree. I'm so excited about these ratings numbers, especially after the kind of numbers it had last year when NBC made the "brilliant" decision to put it up against Lost. DUH!!! This makes me really hopeful that these numbers, combined with the fallout from the writers strike and NBC's decision to forego buying pilots, should make the NBC execs re-up Medium for at least one more season (hopefully more). Maybe these numbers will convince the PTB to leave Medium in its current time slot, where it rightfully belongs (and should have stayed all along). The execs should just chalk up last season's near-dismal ratings to their own stupidity and not to the show or its fan base.

robinepowell

[6]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 63

Well enjoy it because we're only getting nine episodes this season, even if the writers' strike if finished.

Ausiello Report

After the Strike: When Your Favorites Will Return!

At long last, a strike chart you can get excited about!

With an end to the three-month-old WGA strike imminent (yay!), the networks have quietly begun outlining plans to salvage what's left of the current TV season. At the same time, I've been quietly picking at my moles to get a preview of those plans - the results of which appear in chart form below.

Keep in mind that the following information remains extremely tentative and is subject to change (and probably will). In other words, I strongly suggest you refresh your browser at least once an hour to ensure that you're getting the freshest scoop possible.

Medium

Six pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected this season.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Wga-Strike-Favorite/800032698

pirategirl2

[7]Feb 11, 2008
    • level: 3
    Darn that sucks, I don't get why other shows get so much episodes and we get 9, we had to wait so long for it to come back and now it is on freaking hiatus. Thanks for telling me btw, I kept searching for that show.

cushtxlady

[8]Feb 11, 2008
    • level: 3

Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows, how many episodes do we usually get on the normal season. It always seems like we don't get very many. It is mentioned that this season we are only getting 9. Maybe it is because I like this show so much that to me it seems there are a fewer number of episodes each season compared to other shows. I wish we could have about 26 episodes every season. That is only 6 months or so. I can't imagine having new shows for 6 months. I guess the writing is not as talented as it used to be back in the day. Or perhaps it is the expense now to film an episode. Maybe it is the actors salary. I don't know. I am just sick of reality shows and stupid game shows. They don't seem to have any interesting game shows like they used to. I guess I am venting too much. Sorry folks. I love Medium!!

CSI_forever

[9]Feb 11, 2008
    • level: 5

An ave. season is between 22-24 episodes.

At first there was going to be only the 9 episodes for this season, but now they are saying there will be doing more--I guess since the strike is over sooner than later.

pisceandreams

[10]Feb 12, 2008

Thanks, robinepowell, for posting that link. As of today, 12 Feb, the blog states:

Medium Six pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot additional episodes for this season.

That's certainly welcome news!

robinepowell

[11]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 63
    pisceandreams wrote:

Thanks, robinepowell, for posting that link. As of today, 12 Feb, the blog states:

Medium Six pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot additional episodes for this season.

That's certainly welcome news!

You're welcome. I was just about to post the exact same news. Just keep in mind that we hear officially all of this is still maybe.

I hope it comes true, nine episodes only for season four? That really sucks.

Edited on 02/12/2008 11:46am

DJMadAdam

[12]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 1
    The Season 4 DVD better be close to free of charge, as a gift for everyone's patience.

agent_0042

[13]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 66
    TV Guide - Medium - "13 episodes begin February 18... We'll have brand-new episodes running all the way through May ... Where they take Anjelica is going to be very shocking.. see more of Patricia's siblings..."

pisceandreams

[14]Feb 21, 2008

agent_0042 wrote:
    TV Guide - Medium - "13 episodes begin February 18... We'll have brand-new episodes running all the way through May ... Where they take Anjelica is going to be very shocking.. see more of Patricia's siblings..."

Thanks for sharing this bit of news! So glad to hear that this season will end up having more episodes, closer to as many as the 1st season. I was kind of bummed about the initial prospect of having only 9 episodes this season.

This bit about Cynthia Keener is intriguing. I really, really liked her in this week's "Do You Hear What I Hear"!

pisceandreams

[15]Feb 27, 2008
    For "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" Medium managed a 4.9/9 rating, ranking #7 for the night. That's down a notch in the ranking from the previous week, but overall there were a lot less viewers for all shows on Monday the 25th than on the previous Monday. All of this is still better than last year when The Black Donnellys premiered, coming in at #13 for the night. I think if Medium has steady ratings this season, it can hold onto its Monday 10 p.m. time slot.

pisceandreams

[16]Mar 11, 2008
    For the March 10th episode, "Burn Baby Burn" the show earned a 6.3/11 rating, placing #4 for the night.

mediumfanatic

[17]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 4
    Medium did pretty well this week, both in the household ratings and in the 18-49 demo. It was second in its time slot and first in the demo, with a 2.9 rating. It has also been improving slowly but steadily for the last two weeks. It had 9M viewers last week and 9.2M this week, so hopefully that trend will continue. I also found an article today that said that Medium had been renewed for next season. It didn't quote sources, and it didn't say that NBC had announced it, but it seemed pretty definitive about Medium's return. If this is true, this is great news. I hope it is.
    :
    agent_0042 wrote: TV Guide - Medium - "13 episodes begin February 18... We'll have brand-new episodes running all the way through May ... Where they take Anjelica is going to be very shocking.. see more of Patricia's siblings..."
    I also read that Patricia's sister Rosanna was going to guest in an upcoming episode as a "beautiful, calculating cougar who begins to appear in Allison's dreams when her sexual escapades turn deadly. This sounds exciting. It's great that Patricia's siblings want to come on her show and help her out, and they are so supportive of one another. Can't wait to see this one. This ep airs April 7th. Should be interesting. I just hope we get to see her and Rosanna onscreen together and not just Rosanna in her dreams.

pisceandreams

[18]Mar 19, 2008
    For the March 17th episode, Medium earned a 6.3/11 rating for the 2nd week in a row, with the total viewers apparently being larger than the previous week with reports stating that it was the show's biggest audience in 7 weeks. The show tied for 5th place for the night, slightly beating out Deal or No Deal, which usually beats Medium in ratings. The success of the show is helping NBC take the 18-49 demographic ratings crown consecutively for several weeks in '08.
    Edited on 03/19/2008 6:22am

michaelhanergod

[19]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 7
    Great
    If NBc doesn't renew it then they are dumber then a door

Kleinke

[20]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 12
    michaelhanergod wrote:
    Great
    If NBc doesn't renew it then they are dumber then a door

Dumber than a door? :-) Didn't know that one. Will start using it.

(yeah, I'm easily impressed :->)