Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

the phone

netgoddess

[1]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 10

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up before.

But I am wondering why Allison and Joe keep the phone on Joe's side of the bed. Nobody ever calls Joe in the middle of the night, but Allison is always getting called then.

I would think Joe would get sick of her contantly climbing over him to get to the phone.

It happens so frequently that it strikes me as unrealistic. A real-life couple would do the logical thing and move the phone to the other side of the bed,

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EvanStar4506

[2]Aug 31, 2009
    • level: 3
    I wondered about that too. Maybe Joe likes the contact.

agent_0042

[3]Sep 3, 2009
    • level: 66
    The phone is rapidly becoming becoming an anachronism-- aren't more and more households switching to exclusively mobile these days?

Lubbeelou

[4]Sep 7, 2009
    • level: 4
    Maybe they don't have a phone jack on the other side?? Just a theory

neokid0298

[5]Sep 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    agent_0042 wrote:
    The phone is rapidly becoming becoming an anachronism-- aren't more and more households switching to exclusively mobile these days?

Not a lot of people.

Landlines are useful

netgoddess

[6]Sep 8, 2009
    neokid0298 wrote:
    agent_0042 wrote:

Not a lot of people.

Landlines are useful

A lot of people use landlines. Only people who grew up in the "cell phone generation" tend to shy away from them. Everyone I know who is under 25 doesn't have a landline, and everyone I know 30 or older does have one. The trend is that the younger generations don't see a purpose in having a land line, but those of use who used land lines as adults prior to mobile phones becoming popular still see the use for a hard line.

But I don't think it has anything to do with the phone jack. The phone is cordless so she could certainly put it on her side of the bed at night.

neokid0298

[7]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 8
    netgoddess wrote:
    neokid0298 wrote:
    agent_0042 wrote:

Not a lot of people.

Landlines are useful

A lot of people use landlines. Only people who grew up in the "cell phone generation" tend to shy away from them. Everyone I know who is under 25 doesn't have a landline, and everyone I know 30 or older does have one. The trend is that the younger generations don't see a purpose in having a land line, but those of use who used land lines as adults prior to mobile phones becoming popular still see the use for a hard line.

But I don't think it has anything to do with the phone jack. The phone is cordless so she could certainly put it on her side of the bed at night.

I'm 19, I don't see a reason for just using a cell phone.

Cell towers can get taken down by something or can just be down due to call volume

agent_0042

[8]Sep 30, 2009
    Well, they say if nothing else, you should keep a regular phone connected even if you don't actually pay for service. That way you can still dial 911 from your landline.

MetaLuna

[9]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 5

Doesn't she HAVE a cellphone? Coulda sworn I'd seen her taking calls on it before. So why would anyone be calling the landline in the middle of the night?

I'm 28 and only got a landline for my kids... hmm. Wonder what that says about me.

netgoddess

[10]Oct 24, 2009
    well at least in tonight's episode they called her cell which was on her side of the bed. that is far more realistic than them calling a landline and having her roll over Joe to pick up the phone in the middle of the night.

agent_0042

[11]Oct 24, 2009
    Heh! I noticed that too and thought of this thread when I did.

wonderboylb

[12]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 2
    i'm more annoyed by the fact that its almost 2010 and alison dubois still has that stupid nokia generic ringtone from 1991

netgoddess

[13]Nov 13, 2009
    Yeah I'd like it better if she had the X-Files theme song for her ringtone.

II_Seraphim_II

[14]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 6
    agent_0042 wrote:

really? that's messed up! I couldn't imagine a hosuehold without a land line. What if your 9 year old daughter's friend wants to call her to say hi? A land line is useful for catching her at home at anytime, but if you are out and she is home with the babysitter, her friend will call your cell phone and be unable to reach her. And land-lines are reliable. No need to charge them (unless you have a wireless, in which case you have to try really hard to have one run out of batteries). Also, everyone in the house knows where the land line is. If someone calls, they know where to run to, but what with cell phones, if your kid (who is too young to have a cell phone) wants to call her friend, she has to look for you.

Basically using a cellphone exclusively in the household is more of a burden than convenience. Also, another thing that makes land lines so great is that they have no owner. If I have multiple friends in the same household, the land line is the most important number to remember. From the land-line I can contact anyone, while its very odd to call Jon's cellphone and ask to speak to Sam.

netgoddess

[15]Dec 10, 2009

I think that generally households that go exclusive to mobile phones ensure that the members of the household all have their own phone. I am with Verizon and I know they offer some pretty great deals if you set up service on two or more phones. I don't think it's realistic for all the members of a household to share one phone.

However, I agree with you that land lines are great which is why I keep one. I only want friends and family to have my mobile number, and will only give out my home number to the various businesses that need a phone number, like bank accounts and doctor's office and whatnot. This way if I want privacy I can just set my home phone to "do not disturb" mode.

If you have a family with kids then of course a land line is great because everyone can have a phone in their room to talk to their friends without having to pay any extra monthly fees.

I don't see land lines going away anytime soon, but I could see them all getting converted to VoIP.

Edited on 12/10/2009 3:40pm

Kleinke

[16]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 12
    Simple reason: it's far more dramatic if she has to make a big fuss about getting to the phone.

agent_0042

[17]Dec 16, 2009
    Oh yeah, I agree-- I never said that I necessarily thought it was a good idea to have only cell phones, only that that's where things seem to be heading. And I agree with netgoddess that clearly for any household that was cell only, each member of the household would have their own phone. I overheard on the news earlier today that 23% of homes are now cell phone only, which is up from 16% in 2006, I think they said it was.

purpledonkey968

[18]Dec 17, 2009
    • level: 11
    I only use my mobile when I have to. If I call someone I use the landline because I dont have to pay for it. The phone's on Joe's side so Allison has to wake him up. Otherwise there would be no conversation about the dream.

Keguri

[19]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 12
    I'm with Kleinke, this is a pretty dramatic show, there has to be drama in everything they do, even picking up the phone. Or perhaps Joe likes being in control, having the phone on his side, hihi