Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

The Real Allison DuBois

  • Avatar of Shaded_Grey08

    Shaded_Grey08

    [1]Feb 15, 2007
    • member since: 11/15/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 42
    Have any of ya'll seen that Oprah that came on today??  It was so interesting.  Like everything is the same.  Joe, her three kids.  And they have a striking resemblence.  It is odd.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hplover09

    hplover09

    [2]Feb 15, 2007
    • member since: 08/28/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 148
    Yeah I saw Oprah, but I already knew all about the real Allison. They have a special about her in the features for the season 1 box set and she has written a couple of books. But yeah, it is kinda weird. It is all so much like the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wasabiboys

    wasabiboys

    [3]Feb 23, 2007
    • member since: 09/21/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 15
    I would read her two books. In the Second book she explains some of the things in the episodes and how they really went down. Once you read it you will be convince she does indeed have a gift.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dr_Jan_Itor

    Dr_Jan_Itor

    [4]Feb 26, 2007
    • member since: 06/12/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 987

    You can only be convinced if you choose to believe her.

    There is nothing factual that backs up what she claims, the only facts that are available point out that she's a fraud who's making a lot of money by deceiving people.

    Critical thinking, people, try using it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Buhl9

    Buhl9

    [5]Feb 27, 2007
    • member since: 10/31/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,921
    Dr_Jan_Itor wrote:

    You can only be convinced if you choose to believe her.

    There is nothing factual that backs up what she claims, the only facts that are available point out that she's a fraud who's making a lot of money by deceiving people.

    Critical thinking, people, try using it.

    Amen to that Doc. I could go on Oprah and claim whatever the hell I wanted...would you believe me? It makes me sick that people try to rip off others by doing that sh!t. If she truly has a gift, why would she (or any other "medium") charge outrageous amounts of money to supposedly "help" people. That just down right pisses me off...if it's a gift, she should not try to make money off of it, especially since what she's saying could be...prepare yourselves, this might come as a shock to you.. NOT TRUE! It's just like those commercials for weight loss, lose 30 pounds in two weeks...let me predict your future...same bull. Go ahead and let some random person tell you what your life has in store...the truth is this: life is unpredictable and nobody, NOBODY can foresee what you will be doing, today. tomorrow, or next year.
    Edited on 02/27/2007 11:47pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Shaded_Grey08

    Shaded_Grey08

    [6]Feb 28, 2007
    • member since: 11/15/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 42
    Well, i havent seen an episode that she tells someone that she knows their fate, I remember an episode of Smallville doing that, but come-on Medium is nothing like Smallville.  I personally believe that some people are more intuitive to certain types of things,I include understanding the dead in that as well. I know that people have different beliefs and i will admit that ifsomeone were to walk up to me and claim that they had been visited by my dead grandfather, I would be reserve; I like to belive that the dead arent completely dead, it seems to me too far fetched that they are completely gone.  Damn that is ranty. Sorry, certain things get to my mind and i sort of over do it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of blackula19

    blackula19

    [7]Mar 11, 2007
    • member since: 05/03/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 234
    i don't watch oprah, but i have read Allison's real books and recommend them, also she was on 1 vs. 100, she's cool
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Pi

    Pi

    [8]Apr 3, 2007
    • member since: 08/03/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 103
    Yeah, unfortunately she's just a scam artist preying on people in their most desperate and vulnerable of times.  I try not to think about the "real" Allison, as doing so would ruin the show for me.  I think of it all as fiction, which it truly is.  I just hope that evil woman isn't making much of a profit off the continuation of the TV series.  Love the show, hate the "real" Allison.......
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of melanielore

    melanielore

    [9]Apr 4, 2007
    • member since: 07/06/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 315
    Pi wrote:
    Yeah, unfortunately she's just a scam artist preying on people in their most desperate and vulnerable of times.  I try not to think about the "real" Allison, as doing so would ruin the show for me.  I think of it all as fiction, which it truly is.  I just hope that evil woman isn't making much of a profit off the continuation of the TV series.  Love the show, hate the "real" Allison.......


    Harsh much??
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of blackula19

    blackula19

    [10]Apr 10, 2007
    • member since: 05/03/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 234
    she's not a scam artist, she's solved real crimes, what do you think she committed those crimes or that she's a forensic genius who poses as a psychic? the real horrible witch we should be bashing is the aforementioned oprah, screw that uppity b!tch, Allsion is a real life freakshow that can perform real life freakshow feats, the battery of tests that she dominated to prove her credentials are intensely rigorous and she still completely b!tchified each one (knew things she couldn't have known, the whole shebang)...this isn't one of those preachers that makes God heal people or something this is a completely proven commodity and (not that it matters at all, b/c there's no reason she should perform for free) she does help people for free all the time
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BILLY-ELI

    BILLY-ELI

    [11]Apr 16, 2007
    • member since: 02/10/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,245
    Shaded_Grey08 wrote:
    Well, i havent seen an episode that she tells someone that she knows their fate, I remember an episode of Smallville doing that, but come-on Medium is nothing like Smallville. I personally believe that some people are more intuitive to certain types of things,I include understanding the dead in that as well. I know that people have different beliefs and i will admit that ifsomeone were to walk up to me and claim that they had been visited by my dead grandfather, I would be reserve; I like to belive that the dead arent completely dead, it seems to me too far fetched that they are completely gone. Damn that is ranty. Sorry, certain things get to my mind and i sort of over do it.


    you are so right! thats so my opinion!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of everydayheros

    everydayheros

    [12]Apr 19, 2007
    • member since: 08/18/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 500
    she doesn't "make a ton of money" "ripping people off" in fact from what I've read she makes very little money from solving the crimes, and even from the roalty checks on her books (out of a $15 book from Barns and Nobel 3 bucks goes to the store 7 bucks to the publisher, and if the author is lucky they get the rest). Even if her book sold a million coppies she wouldn't make enough to feed, clothe, and keep herself, her husband and her 3 kids in a house all year. I'm a writer/starving artist/writing student, and one of my prof.'s was complaining today about how little money writers get in roaylties, and while I can not stand the man, I know that he is right, becasue the same thing happens when you buy a CD. Anyway, it's interesting that you would assume she's ripping people off when in fact she condems people who take advantage of ordinary people the way you think she does...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of houdvtv1

    houdvtv1

    [13]Apr 19, 2007
    • member since: 03/21/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 68
    i dont think she is taken advantage of people...but say you are right say she is making **** up...it seems to me that she is helping people move on so how can that be a wrong thing??if it is helping people then i dont care if it is fake..but i dont believe it is..there is so much more in the world and i think she is one off them who can see and feel more than we can...so i hope she can stay on and do her thing to help and hope she wont be interfered by sceptic people.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dr_Jan_Itor

    Dr_Jan_Itor

    [14]Apr 27, 2007
    • member since: 06/12/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 987

    blackula19 wrote:
    she's not a scam artist, she's solved real crimes, what do you think she committed those crimes or that she's a forensic genius who poses as a psychic?

    Oh really? And which "real crimes" did she solve? Can you provide sources or any other specifics that can validate those vague statements? Let's see, she has publicly claimed to have assisted the Texas Rangers. When asked, Lisa Block of the Texas Department of Public Safety's Public Information Office says: "According to Texas Ranger senior management, the Rangers have not used psychics, including Ms. DuBois." She also said she has worked with the Glendale Arizona Police Department. Glendale police spokesman Michael Pena stated that the detective who handles missing persons cases "does not recall using Dubois at all in [one specific] case, or in any other cases." Allison her response to that? "You have been misinformed by those agencies." So she affirms again that she worked with them. Why would these agencies deny using her "gift"? A little website from The Two Percent Company sums it up nicely:

    The Two Percent Company wrote:
    Sure, they could be embarrassed that they turned to psychic assistance, but again, if her assistance really was as effective and beneficial as she claims it was in cracking the cases, we can't really understand the hesitation to acknowledge her contributions. We also wonder why Allison hasn't taken any steps to set the record straight given her assertion that these agencies are misinforming the public about her record. In effect, they are publicly stating that Allison is lying about her involvement with them, which could have legal ramifications if Allison has in fact worked with them. Given that such accusations, if untrue, would be harmful to Allison's livelihood, we would think she would have a solid litigious leg to stand on. Yet she does nothing.

    blackula19 wrote:
    (...) Allsion is a real life freakshow that can perform real life freakshow feats, the battery of tests that she dominated to prove her credentials are intensely rigorous and she still completely b!tchified each one (knew things she couldn't have known, the whole shebang)...

    Battery of tests? Are you talking about Dr. Gary Schwartz's research? Because that has been debunked on so many levels. Here's what I posted in an older thread where this came up:

    Dr_Jan_Itor wrote:
    To call them scientific studies is a bit much. If you're talking about the Schwartz experiments, they're bogus and not scientific at all. Although Dr. Gary Schwartz has an impressive résumé, he's also supportive of the Systemic Memory Theory. That theory pretty much makes you believe that everything is alive (even bricks, or fictional characters like Ronald McDonald, for example). If you think about something hard enough, it will come to exist. This already seriously works against his credibility, just like his endorsement for homeopathy (another crock) does.

    Blind reading is not close to making it credible, how about double blind, replicable and disclosing all his findings? That would make it more scientific, but he refuses to do so. Let's have a look at what can be considered unscientific about his tests:

    -He has a person who claims to be a medium directing and executing tests on other mediums.
    -Inappropriate control comparisons.
    -Inadequate precautions against fraud and sensory leakage.
    -Reliance on non-standardized, untested dependent variables.
    -Failure to use double-blind procedures.
    -Inadequate "blinding" even in what he calls "single blind" experiments.
    -Failure to independently check on facts the sitters endorsed as true.
    -Use of plausibility arguments to substitute for actual controls.
    -The confusion of exploratory with confirmatory findings.
    -The calculation of conditional probabilities that are inappropriate and grossly misleading.
    -Creating non-falsifiable outcomes by reinterpreting failures as successes.
    -Inflating significance levels by failing to adjust for multiple testing and by treating unplanned comparisons as if they were planned.

    Schwartz went into his studies with preconceived notions, about the worst thing you can do when doing research.

    But if you're talking about different research, maybe you'd care to provide the proof you speak of? I dare say there isn't ANY conclusive proof validating her claims.

    blackula19 wrote:
    this isn't one of those preachers that makes God heal people or something this is a completely proven commodity and (not that it matters at all, b/c there's no reason she should perform for free) she does help people for free all the time

    And she also charges people hundreds of dollars for 20/30 minute phone conversations, oh excuse me, phone readings. She's getting loaded telling grieving people lies, and she does so without any qualms, like a predator preying on the weak. Please, next time you speak of a "completely proven commodity", back it up with some evidence.

     

    If you want to know more about how much she's been debunked already, just search the internet for multiple sources. A nice place to start out is here: Medium: The Dubious Claims of Allison DuBois. It's quite an interesting read, and from people who actually back up what they put forward.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Pi

    Pi

    [15]Apr 28, 2007
    • member since: 08/03/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 103
    Thank Goodness, I was starting to think she had the entire population fooled. It is ridiculous that so many people believe in people like her. It makes me sick to see people blindly believing in nonsense like this and getting ripped off, not to mention having their memories of loved ones tainted by the nonsense these "mediums" spew out of their evil pie-holes.

    Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the show, I enjoy a good fictional story about a "medium" just as much as anyone, but don't try to promote it as being "true". Seriously, I try to see and hear as little about that scam artist as possible, since I don't want to think about the fraud this wonderful show is based upon.

    There is not one, I repeat....not one.....documented case of real psychic ability. No one has EVER successfully proved to have psychic ability in a real scientifically conducted study. There are several organizations out there that have for many years now offered $1,000,000 to anyone that could prove psychic ability under true scientific conditions. Before the million dollar offers, there were others for smaller but substantial amounts of money going back almost 100 years. Many of these "rewards" have been offered by very well respected organizations that truly wanted to research the subject. Guess how many prizes have been given away in the last 100 years? You guessed it (or maybe you didn't)......not one. Not one! Yet people are still tricked even today by the "cold reading" methods these scammers use. One would think that after more than 150 years of scientific testing of psychics, there would be at least one who could demonstrate a single psychic ability under test conditions.

    It kills me when people bash scientists for not just blindly believing in things like this as well. Scientists are taught from the time they begin schooling to rely on facts and testing ONLY. I mean, would you want the scientists that tested a new drug you're taking to say "Well, I believe it works no matter what the testing shows, so it's going out to the public!"? Would you want them to use improper testing to shove a drug out without being sure it was safe just because they "knew in their hearts" it was? I think not! So why do I constantly hear people bashing and badmouthing skeptics and scientists for doing what they are supposed to do......be skeptical? It's ridiculous!

    If you want to see a good debunking of how these and other types of scam artists operate, as well as a few good laughs, check out the program "Penn & Teller - **** It is one of the best (and most needed) shows on television and manages to be hilarious at times while educating the public on the scams these people run, as well as demonstrating how they do it.

    I could go on and on about this subject, and if needed I'll pull out more proof to back up my position than you could read in a year, but I'll leave it at this for now. Feel free to ask if anyone would like me to direct them to some real scientific material on how these people fool us into thinking they have "Supernatural" powers, I'd be happy to do so if it helps one person avoid being preyed upon by these evil creatures.

    Many people just WANT to believe, and no matter how much proof you put in front of them they always will. I suppose it makes them feel better, but it does a disservice to everyone else as these people are what keeps these myths going and these scam artists raking in money. These stories of supernatural phenomena have continued for so long because of the people that are easily fooled because they WANT to believe, not because it is true, as some would argue.

    Finally, I would like to say that I in no way extend this argument to include belief in any religion or God. I would never presume to know such things or attempt to change anyone's religious beliefs. It would seem to me, however, that these type of people that claim to have "godly" powers would be a disgrace to most religious people and in fact make a mockery of the whole idea of a "better place", no matter what religion you believe in. They disgrace and tarnish the memories of our passed loved ones, as well as people's religious beliefs, and it baffles me when people that are indeed religious believe in and promote these type of scammers. Think about it.

    Oh, and to believers.....go see a show of John Edwards or Sylvia Brown (or insert your favorite psychic here) in person if you ever get the chance, then come back and tell us how real you think it is. Editing does wonders, let me tell you. So does playing with the minds and emotions of grieving families that so badly want proof that their loved ones are alive, well, and waiting for us in a better place. If these people could talk to the dead, why do they obviously use well documented "cold reading" techniques? Why do they aslways get a letter of a name rather than the whole thing? Are the dead having a grand old time playing charades with the "mediums", LoL? Listen to John Edwards nonsensical rant/explanation of how his "powers" work. Any rational-minded human will have as good a laugh as I did, followed by supreme fury at the vile people that take advantage of so many during the hardest time of their lives. Disgusting, if you ask me.......
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of charmedmatzzie

    charmedmatzzie

    [16]May 8, 2007
    • member since: 05/08/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 71

    I have seen the show, my friend taped it for me.

    It was on only a few days ago here in Holland.. I liked to see her in real-life for a change.
    But I already had, because on youtube.com there are many pieces of film with interviews and such with both Particia Arquette and the 'real' Allison.

    I also read het books. And I truly believe in her gift.
    Pi, I am schocked by your post. How can you say such things? It is true that there are a lot of fakers out there, but that does not mean you should insult the real gifted ones! You know, Allison, shes doing a lot of good with her ability and you know, maybe you should read her books and it might make you feel differently about it. She is an intelligent, smart, funny and adorable woman and just becuase you do not believe in 'spirits around' does not mean that they are not there!

    Mathilde.

     

     

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of everydayheros

    everydayheros

    [18]May 9, 2007
    • member since: 08/18/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 500
    I quickly skimmed some of the articles on that website. It seems that the majority of his sources came from Skeptic Magazine. Now i have not actually read this magazine, but it does not sound like the most reliable of sources. Oh I'm sure they have their fact checkers, and they only print things they believe to be true, but I wouldn't beleive everything someone has to say if they can't find a second resource to back up their statements. Now I'm not saying that I believe everything our so called Medium says, but I'm not going to label her a liar based on it either.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wayoutcontrol

    wayoutcontrol

    [19]May 10, 2007
    • member since: 01/14/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 84
    Well this does happen no question about that at all, but weather or not shes real? Who knows
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stevegaard

    stevegaard

    [20]May 21, 2007
    • member since: 05/21/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    everydayheros wrote:
    I quickly skimmed some of the articles on that website. It seems that the majority of his sources came from Skeptic Magazine. ...

    everydayheros: If you're referring to the Two Percent series, then it must have been a really quick skimming, huh? I think you need to re-read those articles before you comment on them, because I counted a grand total of ONE link to the Skeptical Inquirer throughout all five parts of that series. Now I didn't count the total number of links, but there are a substantial number - so your characterization that a "majority" came from the Skeptical Inquirer is absolute bunk. I'd note that some of the sources cited are Allison's own page, Gary Schwartz's own page, and publications that endorse the paranormal.

    Next time, do your own fact-checking before you open your mouth and insert your foot.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.