Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

The Real Allison DuBois

stevegaard

[21]May 21, 2007
    • level: 1
    Make that "ONE link to Skeptic Magazine" which is the publication referenced in the comment above. In point of fact, there are several links to the Skeptical Inquirer, and most of those are presented alongside links to Gary Schwartz's responses to those articles, with the direction to go read them all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

everydayheros

[22]May 21, 2007
    • level: 13
    I read the first article, most of it, and there were only a handful of sources, one from Alison (but he didnt insert a link to the site), a number from the Skeptical, and one from Gary's site. So, I'm sorry I didn't have time to read all five instalments of that article, I actually have a life.

Dr_Jan_Itor

[23]May 22, 2007
    • level: 12

everydayheros wrote:
    I read the first article, most of it, and there were only a handful of sources, one from Alison (but he didnt insert a link to the site), a number from the Skeptical, and one from Gary's site. So, I'm sorry I didn't have time to read all five instalments of that article, I actually have a life.

And people who do decide to read all of it don't have a life? Nobody is making you read it, it's all about what you decide to spend your free time on. The point remains that to have an informed opinion about those particular sources, it helps to have actually read them. There's nothing wrong with doubting it, they actually encourage people to do some research and not blindly believe what people have to say.

Fact remains, the Two Percent series is backed up with evidence and logic and reason, whereas dear old Allison doesn't back up a single thing, ever. The people from the Two Percent Company have nothing to gain with debunking Dubois' self-proclaimed powers, but for Allison her 'gift' is her bread and butter. That alone is a very strong reason to doubt her claims. She can get an easy million bucks if she just calls the James Randi Foundation and sets up an impartial testing session. Yet she doesn't, perhaps because she knows she can't prove anything? That's probably the same reason the 'esteemed' Dr. Schwartz doesn't disclose the findings of his research, because he knows it was in no way a scientific process.

netgoddess

[24]Sep 3, 2009
    • level: 10
    She may very well have some psychic abilities. But the show is fiction. And her claims of working with law enforcement to solve crimes seem to not be backed up by any actual evidence. Plus I am highly skeptical of any psychic who goes on TV to talk about their abilities. If you have a lot of intuition it is really easy to make money without actually charging for "psychic services"...you can play the market, you can go into business...there are a lot of options for making money if you have genuine abilities. So I am pretty skeptical of anyone who goes around charging for services.

pgsuperfan

[25]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 25
    Question, I might have missed something but did Patricia really have a stroke ?

agent_0042

[26]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 66
    Patricia Arquette? Not that I know of. That was only the Allison Dubois character.

netgoddess

[27]Oct 24, 2009
    The stroke was scripted, and was a large part of the plot for the finale of season 5. For sake of continuity she has to spend several episodes of season 6 dealing with the aftermath. So it is unlikely that there's anything wrong with Patricia, she is just good at acting like a stroke victim.

netgoddess

[28]Oct 24, 2009
    Perhaps the right question to ask is if the real Allison Dubois had a stroke.

agent_0042

[29]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 66
    In which case, the answer is apparently no. The whole stroke was just something that was written to add dramatic tension to the show, but wasn't something that happened to the real Allison Dubois.

bellagirl_008

[30]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 14
    I think she has a real gift and is in no way taking advantage of anyone